• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Installing depth sounder, voltage gauge and power socket

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I decided to drill some holes and install the pile of parts I had laying around.

Here are a few pictures of the results

The depth sounder is a Hummingbird HDR 650. I am hoping that the transom mount will work well. I plan to test it this evening.

I used Steve's Bilge Access Tip to get into the bilge area (after some hesitation).
www.yamahajetboaters.com/membertips/bilgeaccess.html

I drilled a 5/8" hole for the transducer cable opposite of the speedometer cable. I then ran the cable through the hole, attached the tranducer and used a clip to secure the cable. Inside the bilge I applied marine silicone to seal the hole.

From there I pushed a piece of left over 12/2 electrical wiring from the bilge to the console. Then I taped the transducer wire to the electrical wire and pulled it through to the console. A fish tape or glow rods would have worked as well or better.

I obtained power for the depth sounder and voltage gauge from the starboard key switch. The switched hot is a yellow wire that turns purple after a connector. After the connector a grey and black wire run with the purple switched hot. I spliced into the purple and black wires for power.

I plan to wire the power socket to the heavy red and black main power wires behind the console with an inline fuse.

I also installed speaker wires from the starboard side of the engine compartment to the outside corners of the swim deck. I plan to install an amp and swim deck speakers in the future and hope to do so without opening the bilge up again.

When reinstalling the bilge cover I initially forgot to reconnect the drain line. I soon discovered that you can reconnect it through the single access port from the engine bay.