• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Interesting Statement from Auto Manufacturers

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I am so glad that we don't need a new (or used) vehicle right now!

I bought my truck in October 2020, so I am set for a while.

Wife has a 2007 Jeep Commander (about 75,000 miles) that we were thinking about selling. We have pretty much decided to just spend $2K in new tires/wheels and keep the Jeep for a couple more years. Upside is that prices should be more back to normal and there should be a lot of new and interesting vehicles coming out in 2023/2024.

Jim
If you can swing one vehicle, definitely worth selling now.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
If you have the ESP Ford warranty it’s a good one and covers most everything…. I know you had a few dramas last year, but such is owning a motor vehicle, they all have issues at some point.

Ford has invested several billion to build their own plant to make the computer chips that have been in short supply so they won’t get caught out again, but that takes time. The current lead time on trucks is months but, I still think you may like the process a lot better than a dealership lot dealing with salesmen.

The Expeditions are really nice vehicles as are their Lincoln brethren.
I absolutely agree about the Ford extended warranty. I always purchased the extended warranties for my trucks, and when the warranty was about to run out, I'd bring it into my work and overhaul the transmission and replace the differential bearings. You can't get away with that nowadays, they send a damn inspector. Anyway, the extended warranties pay for themselves if you have an electrical component failures. Everything is controlled by Modules now.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes the Extended Warranty took care of me when the trans cooler lines failed last year before outing with daughter, they reimbursed the repair. And it also took care of the electrical problem mid summer. Best money I have spent. Paid for itself.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
If you can swing one vehicle, definitely worth selling now.
We seriously thought about selling the Jeep. Decided that with the new house, a pending boat purchase, we would just hold off two more years until our finances recover. Even if I put another $2-3K into her Jeep, its still much cheaper than a new car payment. Maybe we will get an EV in two years if some new, more affordable models come out!

Jim

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For me, it just didn’t introduce anything compelling enough to wait for it’s release.
I have not looked at the new sequioa hard at all, just like the styling compared to the current model... which is admittedly not saying much, lol.
But the hybrid drivetrain should be great, if it can (almost) double fuel economy and still tow a ton.

I'm beyond happy with my LC though, other than it being a gas hog with a pretty miserable range, it's simply amazing. And we've traveled w/8-up many times and it works, surprisingly.

CaptRedbeard

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
$5k???? how about $15K - I mean its un-frickin real what they will charge.
View attachment 170831
So this is the dealership's way of adjusting to a free market, right? But Ford is scared that that same free market (and transparency) will lead to disgruntled customers and less business due to controversy.

Interesting stuff.

Taylorman

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I am so glad that we don't need a new (or used) vehicle right now!

I bought my truck in October 2020, so I am set for a while.

Wife has a 2007 Jeep Commander (about 75,000 miles) that we were thinking about selling. We have pretty much decided to just spend $2K in new tires/wheels and keep the Jeep for a couple more years. Upside is that prices should be more back to normal and there should be a lot of new and interesting vehicles coming out in 2023/2024.

Jim
I had a 2007 Commander and absolutely loved it. Got rid of it in 2016 with over twice the mileage as your wife’s but wish I hadn’t. It made sense at that time but I’ve only put 46k miles on the replacement vehicle. The Commander could’ve handled that easily but I had no way of knowing how little I’d need to drive back then. IMO, you’re making a smart decision to hold onto it. At this point, assuming title is well in hand, it’s providing you with an ROI that far exceeds its value even in an over inflated market.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I had a 2007 Commander and absolutely loved it. Got rid of it in 2016 with over twice the mileage as your wife’s but wish I hadn’t. It made sense at that time but I’ve only put 46k miles on the replacement vehicle. The Commander could’ve handled that easily but I had no way of knowing how little I’d need to drive back then. IMO, you’re making a smart decision to hold onto it. At this point, assuming title is well in hand, it’s providing you with an ROI that far exceeds its value even in an over inflated market.
We bought this one new in the Spring of 2007, so its been payment free for the last 10 years!. :) My wife actually loves it, and she got it as a replacement to a 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac that she did not like to drive in sloppy weather. It has so few miles as I usually drive and when I do, its in my truck.

Going back to thread, Edmunds is reporting that 82% of the vehicles sold in December 2021, sold for over MSRP!

Jim

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would love to get a current model expedition, but the markups stink and it would cut into my boat budget for sure.

props2you

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The foreseeable future for auto inventory will certainly be interesting, reading lots of articles how the shortage will only be getting worse.

We had 3 personally owned vehicles, with one being my self employed company car, and with Covid killing travel (reinventing conversations/meetings) we consolidated down to 2 vehicles. I dumped my '14 Navi with 110k and my company MKC with 80k for a new GMC AT4 with the 6.2 performance pack, LOVE IT! The wife dumped the '15 Explorer sport with the twin turbo. No issues with my units, the explorer was an absolute POS!!! Tranny went out at 60k, partially covered by ford and dealer, $7k total, $2k my dime, timing chain went out at 80k $2k on my dime, turbo went out at 90k $2k my dime, Throwing PO305 code, 02 sensors $500 my dime. I was done and had enough of the money pit, wife was ready to upgrade! When we had the first turbo replaced the mechanic said the second will likely be going out within 10-20k miles as well. I didn't want to stick around and find out. Wife had been looking at jeeps for quite some time and did her due diligence and found THE one, Jeep Wrangler Willy's, she found it 200 miles away, road trip! Funny thing is, about 60 miles from the dealer, the 2nd turbo started whining like the first one did when it went. Now it may, or may not have been going out, but I'm glad I don't have it to find out!

When I purchased the AT4 they did try and stick in a $4,500 market adjustment in there and I flat-out said if they stick that in the deal on a $70k truck, pound sand, I had 2 trade-ins and I'd be happy to go elsewhere, it came out.

20220125_164140_LI (2).jpg

20220208_170036.jpg