• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Introduction and newb question on FSH 190

oceanAddict

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
Hi there,

I just registered here as FSH 190 popped up in my search I realized I know nothing about jet boats. I tried to gain some knowledge on a few fishing and boating forums I'm usually visiting but got not much useful info and some negative comments coming from people who never owned that boat. But I would like to hear from actual owners so here I am...

I live in Boston and mostly fishing with a kayak with a pedal drive. I'm looking for a boat that would primarily work as my fishing platform in coastal waters but would be suitable for a day in the water with family. I don't wanna buy another project or something I would not feel comfortable to bring friends or fam (I mean old worn boat), so I wanna stick to newer boat. My towing vehicle has a capacity of 3300 lbs so I cannot buy anything bigger 20-21 ft max. I would be fishing nearby and entertaining fam in Boston Harbor etc. Or perhaps Buzzard Bay for bsb fishing too? I usually fish on kayak there so I would guess it would be doable too? It looks like used FSH 190 fit the bill,

I've seen youTube videos where ppl running this boat offshore from Miami, but wonder if there is something that could make a difference in here. Here I mean Boston area, salt waters... I wonder if anyone owns that boat and frequent in those waters and could share the experience. I'm concern about seaweed clogging but not even sure if it's an issue in a colder climate.

Thank you all in advance

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Great boat! Great bang for the buck. Fuel usage is low. Seating is plenty. Big step up from kayak. Awesome set up for fishing. Dependable always starts, it is a Yamaha.
Not for use in Gail weather, or lot of seaweed, I have only had seaweed problems in the keys, (different seaweed there)
Most people want the 21 now shop around and get some money off.

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have used mine as a bay boat in saltwater for more than 1.5 years, and I have had no problems. Well, the compass died within the first 20 hours, and it was replaced under warranty. I still have another 1.5 years on the included warranty (bought at the end of the season for a couple thousand off and the 3 year bow to stern warranty for free). Although we have debris (marsh grass) floating in the water, I have only used the clean-out plug once; there were a few strands of grass caught on the intake grate. It caused a ~10% reduction in thrust.

We pull a tube sometimes, but mostly we visit the nearby (~20-30 minutes) coastal island beaches and fish. It operates without a problem in shallow water, and it is very roomy/comfortable. You do need to flush the engine with an anti-salt additive; I also spray the inside and hull with it using a garden hose end sprayer.

As some will correctly note, it is not the best boat for any particular task, but it does many things well. When I was looking at boats, the FSH 10 Sport was the only boat with a T-Top, without a flat bottom, with lots of seating and features (live well, dual batts., tons of storage, changing area under the console), that could operate in very shallow water with a trailer for about $30K. The next step up would have been 10K+ more.

Rich NW Jboater

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I run mine in the salt water all the time and have never used the clean out port while on the water. Here in Seattle, we get some pretty large scum lines during tide changes and I've expected to have to use the clean out port after going through them but so far have not.

I've been 20 miles out in the San Juan islands in 2-3 foot chop without feeling unsafe. Couldn't go as fast as I would like but none the less got there safely. Me and the wife have also gone off grid camping in the marine only State Parks up here with enough gear for four days without a problem. If you take the Porto potty out of the center console, it holds a ton of gear.

I also fish for salmon running downriggers off both sides trolling from 1-4 mph without any problems and don't need a separate kicker motor. The back swim platform sits even with the water so when fishing by my self, I usually don't bother using a net to land fish, I just drag them up on the back deck and whack'em with a salmon bat.

Is it the most practical boat for the northwest......No but is it the coolest boat that checks the boxes I need checked at a great price.....Yes

Picture is on Bainbridge Island.jpg Island Memorial Day Weekend

oceanAddict

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
Well, these are encouraging replies! The changing cabin on the boat that I can pull with my Volvo wagon is one of the biggest advantages for me. Wife and kiddo would definitely appreciate private space and I still get a fishing boat.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I’d look closely at the loaded weight of the 190 FSH, I have a 210 FSH and loaded up with gear and fuel on the trailer it’s flirting with 5000 pounds. I’d imagine the 190 on a trailer with fuel and gear has to be almost 4000. Idk.

j_shoe99

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Dry weight is 2,575#. I'm not sure if that includes the trailer, but I doubt it. 40 gallons of fuel adds ~320#. You'll be close to, or over, your limit with other gear. Add another 200-300# in trolling motor/batteries. Just be aware.

I also came from a pedal fishing kayak to this boat and love it. It's more of a pain to launch/load than a kayak in my opinion. I was looking at 17-19ft "fishing boats" too, but I wanted a boat that seated at least 8ppl, so my family of 4 can bring another family of 4 legally. All fishing boats that fit 8ppl, were 10-20k more.

bolivas

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

j_shoe99

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I also fish for salmon running downriggers off both sides trolling from 1-4 mph without any problems and don't need a separate kicker motor.
Do you have any photos of your downriggers? (I've been debating on getting them)
Are you only using your boat for thrust? No Wake Mode? Or do you use a trolling motor too? (I went out for Lake Michigan salmon last week for the first time)

Rich NW Jboater

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Do you have any photos of your downriggers? (I've been debating on getting them)
Are you only using your boat for thrust? No Wake Mode? Or do you use a trolling motor too? (I went out for Lake Michigan salmon last week for the first time)
I'll take a picture tonight, and answer your question

Rich NW Jboater

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

Attachments