• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Is it normal for engines to have a buzzing sound when in float mode?

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Being curious about our new boat while anchored and hanging out in a cove, I opened the engine compartment to check things out and I immediately notice or could hear a faint buzzing sound coming from each engine. It's difficult to pin point the area or component buzzing, so I'm left with my best guess being that each engine has it own fuel pump or something running anytime/all the time the key is on.
Is this normal or has anyone else noticed this? I can only hear it when I open the engine cover and have heard it on three different outings...
Seems odd that it would be normal to have something running (buzzing) all the time/anytime the key is on but engines off, yet the key has to be on for the stereo to work ...

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You don't need to leave the key on to use the connext radio. Just push and hold the light bulb looking button for 3 seconds and it will boot up.

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Hum, so I've been doing it all wrong... Again. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

I'll have to try that next time out. My guess is there is no way to avoid the 2 minutes of dead sound when you park in a cove, turn off the key, hold the light button for three seconds, and wait for Connext to boot back up?

Thanks for the heads up on the light button option, I think I barely remember the dealer showing or telling me about that now.

Last edited:

David Decker

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Rod5 - mine does it, too. Same buzzing noise as you have heard, but it is not audible unless I open the engine hatch. Is my Yamaha trying to tell me I should turn off the key when anchoring?

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Rod5 - Hey bud you are dead on with fuel pump sound. Anytime the ignition is "on" they'll have power. Usually when we get into a cove I usually turn on the blower before cutting the engines off. Once I am anchored and set I will cut the blower off and turn on the Connext like @McMark said to. You'll still have a few seconds without power.
If you find another (more efficient) way please let us know!! I'd love to not have to hear that annoying alarm come from my Connext system.

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
[flag]Thanks for the follow up Bennie. I'll certainly be giving that a try this weekend along with seeing how the Fangs work with the AK Magna fins...

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Rod5 - How do you like those AK fins? I've been doing well without any fins - do you really see a huge difference with them?

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I only got out for a short time two weekends ago and did not tow anyone with them yet.
First impression, yes there is improvement and steering is about 20% more responsive at all speeds. Most notable improvement was when crossing waves at near parallel angles on plane. It was easier to hold my line or point the front end where I wanted to go.
It was pretty windy so I couldn't tell much improvement in reverse. Maybe 5% improvement in reverse but again it was very windy...
I would definitely buy them again and/or recommend them! But I can't help but wonder how much more improvement would there be if the fins were 50% bigger. I'm Very interested to see how much more the fangs help...

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length