• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Push Button Start Mod - It works! With video and full instructions

spaz1868

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great job @Mainah! I've wanted to do a push button start and have most of the parts needed, just have not found the time to do it. I do have one question for you about the boat wiring. Do you know what the white wire is for? I know what all the other wires are for except for the white wire. Trying to figure out what role it plays in starting the engines.

sstegh

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
That is awesome!! Well done!

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just to be clear, this will work on a 06 ar210 too right? I don't have all the fancy computers and what not on mine.

spaz1868

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great job @Mainah! I've wanted to do a push button start and have most of the parts needed, just have not found the time to do it. I do have one question for you about the boat wiring. Do you know what the white wire is for? I know what all the other wires are for except for the white wire. Trying to figure out what role it plays in starting the engines.
I believe I figured it out after going over your diagrams and applying a little common sense. The brown wire activates the starter when + is applied to it and the white wire turns off the engine when - is applied to it.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I believe I figured it out after going over your diagrams and applying a little common sense. The brown wire activates the starter when + is applied to it and the white wire turns off the engine when - is applied to it.
Bingo. +12vdc to Brown activates the starter solenoid and ground to white the magneto kill. Make sure to keep the each engines brown and white seperated from the other engine. That is the reason for the two relays for both start and stop.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just to be clear, this will work on a 06 ar210 too right? I don't have all the fancy computers and what not on mine.
I don't know on that model. In theory if the wires have the same functions it should.

David D

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Awesome @Mainah. I officially wish I was an engineer now.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Fixed the links in the pdf. FYI when saving a power point document with copied links as a pdf remove the http:// from the front of the links so that they start with www

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Part of the problem of going in half on a boat with your brother is all mods have to be agreed upon. I think this mod is so bad ass and we usually agree on stuff... He hates it. Thinks it's stupid. So there goes that. Man do I wanna put it in though!

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
could you not have both engines crank at the same time? or is that too much for the batteries to handle?

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@kthrash - From an earlier post ...
I forgot to mention that while possible to start both engines simultaneously with this mod as opposed to in sequence by changing the timimg on the realys I strongly recommend against it. The starters place a very high load on the batteries and wiring so there is a risk of melting battery or starter cable if not done as this mod is layed out. There are other concerns such as battery load on a weak battery preventing staring as well. Lastly sequenced is just plain cool in my opinion.

spaz1868

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Mainah, thanks for the motivation for me to complete my own push button start mod. Mine is a little different than yours because I wanted just 1 key with a push button start to each engine. I also added a single engine off button so I can kill both engines at the same time without having to turn the ignition key off. Turning the ignition off with the key also turns off both engines. Here's some pics of my setup:

2016-05-29 17.54.53.jpg
I moved the single ignition key to the tray under the radio because I did not want to make any holes that were permanent. I also put the engine kill button on the side of the tray. If I wanted to undo this mod, all I would need to do is replace the tray and there's no traces of this mod ever being made.

2016-05-29 17.54.59.jpg 2016-05-29 17.55.11.jpg 2016-05-29 17.55.18.jpg 2016-05-29 17.55.44.jpg

This mod is not only for the cool push button factor, it is also practical. The keychain float that I have on my keys always rested in the cup holder right below the ignitions so it got in the way of my drink. Now, the key and keychain are both out of the way.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@spaz1868 - Sweet!!!! I assume you did this without the timer relays and instead used standard bosch style such that each engine only cranks as long as its start button is pressed? Great example of another way to accomplish this for the use case and design that you desired. Those halo buttons sure are cool if I do say so myself.

So that everyone else knows what model and year did you do this on? Do you think my method would work on that as well? I can confirm your method would on 2015 and 2016 connext models without push button start.

spaz1868

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@spaz1868 - Sweet!!!! I assume you did this without the timer relays and instead used standard bosch style such that each engine only cranks as long as its start button is pressed? Great example of another way to accomplish this for the use case and design that you desired. Those halo buttons sure are cool if I do say so myself.

So that everyone else knows what model and year did you do this on? Do you think my method would work on that as well? I can confirm your method would on 2015 and 2016 connext models without push button start.
Yes, just 3 bosch style relays and 3 buttons. The whole mod cost me just $20 along with probably 1 hour wiring everything up.

This is on a 2012 AR210. Your method should work for my year boat because all the wiring was exactly like your diagrams.

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I gotta do this, so sick of the long beep every time you turn the damn keys..

Ryan Cassidy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I didn't notice that... so this gets rid of that damm beep... Now that you mention it, it's not in the video. That's worth it all together!

Ryan Cassidy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ordered all the parts for this today. Will start the install when we get back from Vacation. will post back on an 2010 SX240 install.

Topper232

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Part of the problem of going in half on a boat with your brother is all mods have to be agreed upon. I think this mod is so bad ass and we usually agree on stuff... He hates it. Thinks it's stupid. So there goes that. Man do I wanna put it in though!
@Trevor Shipman maybe you install one push button for your engine and leave the key for his? :confused:

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length