• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Push Button Start Mod - It works! With video and full instructions

Rob9550

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am still planning this mod also.

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Ok. My mod has finally been completed. Thank you @Mainah for publishing your solution. This afternoon my family and I went out for a quick wakeboard run and test of the system. It works seamlessly and solves the problem of Connext, Stereo, Anchor light, Navigation lights, etc turning off when turning the engines off. Even my wife said she loved is and my boys were blown away.

The directions were great and Mainah was nice enough to answer any questions I had. I did have a few problems however and finished the install today instead of yesterday as planned. Here is what happened.

When I got everything all hooked up, I turned the port key to the "ON" position and then the starboard side to "ON". As soon as I turned the starboard side to "ON", the starboard engine cranked, without a press of the button. I then tried turning the keys to "ON" in the reverse order. The starboard engine once again cranked as I turned the 2nd key to "ON". So,,,,,,,,,the order did not matter. The starboard engine cranked when both keys were in the ON position. However, the port engine did not crank at all. The good news is the kill switch (stop button) was working.

So, I ended up consulting Mainah to help me troubleshoot. He suggested a number of things to check and all checked out. Eventually, I removed the Start switch and found that the NC post was touching the Com post. The moral to the story here is if you use the same switch that I used, which is the same one that Mainah and Ryan Cassidy used, be very careful. The posts are tiny and right next to each other. I eventually cut that post down, since it will not be used, to ensure it does not accidentally touch anything. After that, the starboard engine stopped immediately cranking when the keys were switched to the ON position. However, the port engine was still not doing anything. I checked every connection to make sure they were tight and solid. I could not find anything out of the ordinary. The board would go through the correct cadence as if it was going to start but it never did. After the Port side went through its cadence and failed to start, the starboard board would correctly pause 2.4 seconds as programmed then crank and turn on. So, I now had a working starboard side and a non working port side. By this time it was 9:30 at night and I decided to be done with it for the night. When I turned in, I reasoned in my head that the board must be bad. I jumped on Amazon and filled out the paperwork to return and replace the board. The new board will arrive tomorrow.

So fast forward to today..................I went to work today without cell phone. I tried to make it but could not stand not having it. Therefore, I went home to get it and thought - while I am home, I should swap the boards to verify if the port relay board was bad. I switched the boards and got he exact same behavior, so that ruled out the board. I went thought every single connection (and trust me there are a lot of connections) and re-connected them (well almost all). I finally stopped and thought - the port relay board is going through all of the cadence to start, it just is not starting so that must have something to do with the brown wire. Even though the quick splice looked good and felt solid when I tugged on it, I decided to remove the spice and investigate. Sure enough, the wire that I was splicing in did not get properly spliced. The metal prong had spliced the jacket at the very end of the wire and it was only jacket. It had not connected with any wire at all. I re spliced that connection and all was good. Yeah!

So, instead of going back to work, I stayed home and mowed the yard so that we had no chores to do at 5 when my wife stopped working. At 5:30 or so we headed out on the river for a quick wakeboard session and to test the new push button system. Man, it worked like a charm. I was able to cut the engines and have the music, and navigation lights stay on. My wife loved it and for her to love something like that is huge.

Here is a shot of my install. My location is slightly different. I wanted my switched to be mounted vertically so that water never collects at them.

20160822_153403.jpg 20160822_153250.jpg 20160822_194458.jpg

weaselman

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Very interested in this mod. Wondering if those that did this had any issues.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nicely done @OperationROL. I'm looking forward to doing the push start mod.

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Very interested in this mod. Wondering if those that did this had any issues.
Only issues I had are those documented in my post. We will all be willing to help out if you get in a bind.

weaselman

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Can't wait to get the boat and start trying these mods

weaselman

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Anyone have pictures of the wiring splices, etc that happen behind the circuit boards?

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I recommend using the pdf instructions with wiring diagram.

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Anyone have pictures of the wiring splices, etc that happen behind the circuit boards?
I agree with @Mainah . Seeing the wiring behind that board would scare you. The diagram that Maniah put together is spot on and exactly what you will need.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks. This is definitely one of my favorite mods.
I will be doing this in next few months and will reach out to you all for any advice. I think I am going to go the route where I don't need to use the key. I've seen some new push buttons on the market now that can be used to crank an engine when you hold it down and also stop it, which is the key. Most of the buttons out there do not stop the engine after you start it or risk shorting it out. Now if someone can figure out speed cruise control without PP we will golden!

Nick Hughes

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Ive decide to go ahead and tackle this. Looking at the parts list, the originally used relays aren't necessarily available on Amazon, but the combined relay is (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PFA83RW/ref=pe_492420_33133920_TE_slc_n_id)

Would you be able to do a diagram on how to use this relay or is there a simple explanation on how it adapts? I'm not an electrical engineer, but am a software engineer, so i feel comfortable doing this. Also, how would you wire in the LED rings on the buttons?

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Nick Hughes

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
In your PDF you say this:

2- Standard 12v electromechanical relays aka Bosch style

www.amazon.com/Absolute-Holder-RLS125-Automo6ve-SRS105/dp/B00C0SATHE?ie=UTF8&keywords=12v%20relay&qid=1463598925&ref_=sr_1_3&sr=8-3

or

1- www.amazon.com/dp/B00PFA83RW/ref=pe_492420_33133920_TE_slc_n_id (wiring diagram not included if choose this op6on but will be quieter than the standard Bosch style when actuated .. (Clicking sound when relay pulls and snaps back when bu.on is pressed))

I was looking for the wiring for the latter device.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I don't understand now. You would need to use a solid state 12v relay to eliminate the clicking sound And the wiring will depend on the actual component.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok so I got to thinking about this over the weekend. Why couldn't we use the push buttons from the Limited e series? I would think if we did that we could swap out the buttons for the key ignition. I just don't know how the E series is wired up. If anyone has time, it would be help to let me know if there are 2 or 3 wires going into the push buttons. The only thing I couldn't see is how do you activate it? If there is no activation switch for the push buttons, then the E series boats can be stolen anytime?

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Ok so I got to thinking about this over the weekend. Why couldn't we use the push buttons from the Limited e series? I would think if we did that we could swap out the buttons for the key ignition. I just don't know how the E series is wired up. If anyone has time, it would be help to let me know if there are 2 or 3 wires going into the push buttons. The only thing I couldn't see is how do you activate it? If there is no activation switch for the push buttons, then the E series boats can be stolen anytime?
What I like about this method is the programmable relay allows you to have a single button press to start both engines in sequence and a single button to kill both. I believe the ESeries has a single key to turn on and a button to start each engine. I believe the same button kills each engine as well. The way we did it. We can still use the key if we want to work with a single engine as well. So, it's really about what you want to accomplish.

Here is an alternative from @spaz1868 that is more similar to what you're thinking:
Push Button Start Mod - It works! With video and full instructions

Last edited:

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
To answer the question as to why the eseries button would not work.... The eseries has a single key that by the throttles that turns on accessory power and send power to the PLC the the buttons connect to. It is this PLC that is the brains behind the eseries start buttons and allows them to both start and stop each engine. I like the link in the previous post in that it gets you pretty darn close to the eseries without making/programming your own logic board.

Pirana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Awesome write up...if I would be interested in doing a single button ON/OFF I wound need the second board you posted? A latching circuit?

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Awesome write up...if I would be interested in doing a single button ON/OFF I wound need the second board you posted? A latching circuit?
I am not familiar with the scarab that you have. I thought it already has push button start? The answer to your question depends entirely on the current wiring and components of your boat.