• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Push Button Start Mod - It works! With video and full instructions

aceofbase

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Can you refer me to which ones those are?

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Really weird, I went through and soldered all connections except the wires that hook up to the key switches where I used T tap connectors. I triple checked the crimps and all looks good. I used cheap relays from amazon, could that be the problem? stumped!
Since we are using a high level trigger to charge a coil that pulls in to supply a ground you are likley hearing coil feedback into your electrical system. This is common in this configuration but what gets me is that it is loud. Could certainly be the cheapo relays. You could try the ones I mentioned above as the trigger is fully isolated this way and there is no coil

Huntersales

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I did go to Advanced Auto and bought 2 different brand Bosch style relays and it didn't make a difference, weird think is the pop is through the speakers of my stereo, turn the volume all the way down pop cannot be heard. I have bought a better 4ga ground wire for my amps I am going to run this weekend and I want to see If that makes any difference.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I did go to Advanced Auto and bought 2 different brand Bosch style relays and it didn't make a difference, weird think is the pop is through the speakers of my stereo, turn the volume all the way down pop cannot be heard. I have bought a better 4ga ground wire for my amps I am going to run this weekend and I want to see If that makes any difference.
I do get a soft pop through my speakers. That pop is the electromagnetic coil in the relay feeding back through the ground. A loud pop would be bad though. Soild state relays should solve that issue.

aceofbase

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
upload_2017-7-9_12-21-46.png

Huntersales

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I take it you only need 1 of the 2 way solid state relays to replace the 2 Bosch relays. If so what is the wiring diagram for that? Looks Nice!

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Those are two isolated coil type relays on one board in that photo. The key here being that the power supply for the coils is isolated from the trigger and output. This will work nearly the same as solid state.:thumbsup:

Huntersales

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
20170714_110404.jpg 20170714_110413.jpg I got my solid state relay but I am not sure of the wiring, It did not come with a diagram. Any help would be appreciated!

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
DC+ = +12vdc
DC- = ground
Ch1 = trigger for relay 1
Ch2 = trigger for relay 2

The terminals on the other side are the ones that are connected when triggered

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I do get a soft pop through my speakers. That pop is the electromagnetic coil in the relay feeding back through the ground. A loud pop would be bad though. Soild state relays should solve that issue.
Any reason why you went with the traditional relays instead of the solid state ones? I'm getting my shopping list ready for winter mods, and push-button start is on the list. This is a great thread and an awesome how-to.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Any reason why you went with the traditional relays instead of the solid state ones? I'm getting my shopping list ready for winter mods, and push-button start is on the list. This is a great thread and an awesome how-to.
I had the bosch style relays on hand.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Well, that's certainly a good reason :)

Nick Hughes

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I still have all these parts from last summer that I never got around to. Might as well order these and hope I get the balls to try it out.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Should make it a lot easier to install. Can do 95% of it off the boat, then just hook up the two wires to each ignition harness.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Interesting

Nick Hughes

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So theres 5 wires on the back of these switches, which 2 are used on each switch? And looks like on the relays, all 4 wires but the 87A on both are used? Not an electrical engineer so double checking.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Not recalling the wxcat layout of the switch I used but my guess is that there are 3 leads grouped together with a com(common) post in the middle and flanked by NO(normally open) and NC(normally closed) leads. When the switch is not pressed the NC and Com leads are connected. When the switch is pressed the NC lead is disconnected from the com lead and the no lead is then connected to it. You will want the the NO and com leads.

The other two are likely the +12vdc and -—12vdc for the lighted ring which should be connected to key on and ground.

Hope that helps.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just looked at my pdf wiring diagram. I should edit that to incled no and com. For now the the yellow trace from my diagram goes to NO and the purple trace goes to COM for the start button. For the stop buttom the yellow trace goes to NO and the brown trace goes to COM.

If the buttons have the led light ring jump the NO lead to the +12 vdc lead and add a wire to ground for the -12vdc lead.