• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Push Button Start Mod - It works! With video and full instructions

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
This harness would have made it a whole lot easier. I actually was troubleshooting a defect in my install that ended up being the leads were touching. This would have saved me some time and would have saved @Mainah some phone calls. :)

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This harness would have made it a whole lot easier. I actually was troubleshooting a defect in my install that ended up being the leads were touching. This would have saved me some time and would have saved @Mainah some phone calls. :)
I'm still trying to get my head around this one. I just don't see why the relay is needed? lol Now you all have me intrigued and I will have to inspect behind these start wiring. I'm using these same switches for my night lights and leds so have little familiarity with them. I'm not a fan of those open circuit relays tho. Seems a bosch style relay would simplify things more? For ignition all you need is on and off with constant 12v. So why use that style relay everyone is using? I do understand the 2 engine setup and that has little to do with it.

Look at me trying to question @Mainah

:confused::cyclops:

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@OperationROL At the time a suitable harness was not being made for the 16mm switches that I could readily find. It would seem there is now one being made which is great.

@FloJet you are spot on in that one could just press a button and hold for both engines to start and release when started by wiring up standard bosch relays in isolation to keep the twin engines independent. The timer relays allow one quick press and cycled start. As I mentioned early on in this thread lots of way to do this. The timer cycled start is just a cool factor and solving a problem that does not really need to be solved. The main benefit is actually with the push stop side of things which does not require push start. with push stop they keys don't get turned off so the radio stays on and you don't hear that beep. Single push button stop also allows a single quick action to stop both engines. I only have to touch my keys twice each day (once to insert them to the on position and once to turn off and remove. It is one of things that once you start using it you will realize how slick it is.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yeah, I'm really excited about this. A push and hold start for each motor doesn't seem nearly as useful to me (just as easy to turn two keys). This seems great for two reasons - shutting down and keeping the tunes going, and easy stop and restart for water sports. Kill the boat as you approach, and a one-button press to start going again.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@OperationROL At the time a suitable harness was not being made for the 16mm switches that I could readily find. It would seem there is now one being made which is great.

@FloJet you are spot on in that one could just press a button and hold for both engines to start and release when started by wiring up standard bosch relays in isolation to keep the twin engines independent. The timer relays allow one quick press and cycled start. As I mentioned early on in this thread lots of way to do this. The timer cycled start is just a cool factor and solving a problem that does not really need to be solved. The main benefit is actually with the push stop side of things which does not require push start. with push stop they keys don't get turned off so the radio stays on and you don't hear that beep. Single push button stop also allows a single quick action to stop both engines. I only have to touch my keys twice each day (once to insert them to the on position and once to turn off and remove. It is one of things that once you start using it you will realize how slick it is.
Gotcha. This post has been going on for so long my stupid butt forgot about the prior posts. Lol. This was something I wanted to do really bad at first but just never got around to it. I might try to get it in before the season starts. I still need to do more remodeling and installing the new Seadek I've been waiting to put in.

USN SCPO RET

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Gotcha. This post has been going on for so long my stupid butt forgot about the prior posts. Lol. This was something I wanted to do really bad at first but just never got around to it. I might try to get it in before the season starts. I still need to do more remodeling and installing the new Seadek I've been waiting to put in.
Same here...I have new Seadek waiting to be installed.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
This thread coming back around and questions being asked has prompted me to improve upon this. My first go around I was able to find cheap parts plus I had some on hand so I went with that. This time will have a focus on being easier and cleaner

For those who want this I have found a new controller that will makes things much easier and all in one package with a case over it. I have ordered one to validate that it works as it should. I will also be fabricating two harnesses with 3 total plug in connections so there is zero cutting, splicing, or soldering. The main t-harness will plug into the factory connector and is going to be a pain to build one by one but will also have other uses for key on and power to other electronics for those who don't want to tap into the factory wiring. The other harness will include two plug in connectors for the push buttons. I will be a couple of weeks before I get this done, tested, and post photos.

My 15 yo son with aspirations of becoming an electrical engineer, automotive engineer, or professional Youtuber (he is 15 and some of his heroes are a few of the color characters on Youtube). He will be doing half the work under my supervision. If everything works out as planned I will likely offer a limited run for sale on here as a way for him to improve his knowledge/skillset and learn about logistics on a small scale while earning some money and spending time with me. Everything would be inspected and bench tested by me. The intent is to offer this to those who are uneasy with wiring or want something that is easy. I will post up new instructions and parts list for the DIY crowd on the new controller and continue to provide knowledge support as I can for those who have gone with the original parts and the DIY crowd on the new controller.

I am looking forward to working on this with my son.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This thread coming back around and questions being asked has prompted me to improve upon this. My first go around I was able to find cheap parts plus I had some on hand so I went with that. This time will have a focus on being easier and cleaner

For those who want this I have found a new controller that will makes things much easier and all in one package with a case over it. I have ordered one to validate that it works as it should. I will also be fabricating two harnesses with 3 total plug in connections so there is zero cutting, splicing, or soldering. The main t-harness will plug into the factory connector and is going to be a pain to build one by one but will also have other uses for key on and power to other electronics for those who don't want to tap into the factory wiring. The other harness will include two plug in connectors for the push buttons. I will be a couple of weeks before I get this done, tested, and post photos.

My 15 yo son with aspirations of becoming an electrical engineer, automotive engineer, or professional Youtuber (he is 15 and some of his heroes are a few of the color characters on Youtube). He will be doing half the work under my supervision. If everything works out as planned I will likely offer a limited run for sale on here as a way for him to improve his knowledge/skillset and learn about logistics on a small scale while earning some money and spending time with me. Everything would be inspected and bench tested by me. The intent is to offer this to those who are uneasy with wiring or want something that is easy. I will post up new instructions and parts list for the DIY crowd on the new controller and continue to provide knowledge support as I can for those who have gone with the original parts and the DIY crowd on the new controller.

Now that's what I'm talking about. I look forward to seeing the results. Being your son I'm sure he will do great.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Oh sure, you announce a kit now! :)

Just finished wiring up, just need a good weather day to go out and do the in-boat stuff. Having the harnesses for those buttons is a lifesaver, I probably wouldn't have gone ahead with this if I had to solder on to those tiny pins (and deal with that wiring hassle in the boat). Now I can mount the switches and then just plug in. 4 Bundles coming off - one for each key harness, and one for each button. Can't wait to get this cookin. Thanks again for all the research and work you put into this @Maniah.

Looks messy/complicated - but just take it one wire at a time and it's easy.

Nick Hughes

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Seeing a comprehensive view like this gives some perspective, although i don't understand the distribution blocks, maybe for something else.

Anyways, @Mainah, nice. I'd love to be your first purchase. I have everything purchased as your original design, but wont even see my boat until 4/22. If you have something by then, I'm in and will just sell what I bought to someone else.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Distribution blocks are unrelated, sorry I didn't mention that. Will be installing at least one amp on this board, probably a second. The smaller distribution blocks are for accessories like my chartplotter, and maybe eventually VHF, Underwater Lights, etc.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Seeing a comprehensive view like this gives some perspective, although i don't understand the distribution blocks, maybe for something else.

Anyways, @Mainah, nice. I'd love to be your first purchase. I have everything purchased as your original design, but wont even see my boat until 4/22. If you have something by then, I'm in and will just sell what I bought to someone else.
I have already given first refusal to another member on the first unit to another member in return for independent photos and an indepedent HONEST review. I need to give that member time to respond as it was their questions that inspired a second go around.

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Mainah ,
I too am one of those that loves your mod BUT lacks the self confidence to tackle it on my own as previously described. I will be on the look out for future post (and hopefully videos) as you develop the kit. I hope to soon be a customer ?

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Worked on the first try. An impressive feat when it comes to my usual electrical prowess. Thanks again Mainah, this is sweet. Even the wife was impressed.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Maybe I missed it - but do you have to have the key in the ignition for this?

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Maybe I missed it - but do you have to have the key in the ignition for this?
key must be in and in the on position for this to work with the way I wired. Keys also still function normally. It could of course be wired differently so keys were not needed.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Quick update. I have received all of the parts and bench tested with the new controller and harness. Hope to test on my boat this weekend and as long as that works my son can get to work building some the first week of April while on school vacation.

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I want this so bad but with my nieces often on the boat, they would love nothing more than a button to press. Most do no harm but starting the engines is another.

Still part of me wonders about putting the button elsewhere out of their reach.

Hmmm....

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I want this so bad but with my nieces often on the boat, they would love nothing more than a button to press. Most do no harm but starting the engines is another.

Still part of me wonders about putting the button elsewhere out of their reach.

Hmmm....
If the throttles are not in neutral the engines won't start with the keys or the button. Just don't be the guy who forgets that when the boat won't start. Also the lanyard will disable starting as well. Both options allow everything else to operate normally.