• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Is now (COVID) the WORST time to buy a boat? Seems like demand has skyrocketed

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Below is a screen shot from a boat test.com article.
My wife and I just purchased a bee Fx Ho Waverunner last october and I been looking for a new gp 1800 ho Waverunner since.

when we bought the fx it was the only one available for 200 miles. There was no discount on price and the prep fee was close to $2,500. The sales tax rate demo ends on the county you live in not the county you buy in so I paid close to 10%.

in looking for the gp 1800 I’ve found several as the bulk of the dealers/power sports shops around me got their 2021 inventory of pwcs in November. Several of the places are now claiming that yamaha gave them notice that They will only receive about half of the pwcs they ordered this year. My dealer’s salesman went on to say they sold all of their pwcs in record time last year, sometime in June, normally they would still be selling them in early September. He also said they didn’t have any yamaha jet boats, all But two 19 footers on order are already sold and the two that are not already sold are the last they will get from yamaha this year. Finally he wanted to know if I wanted to trade my boat in as he is sure he could sell it quickly and make a lot of profit on it. I’m sure he is right based on what I’m seeing in Craigslist. People are asking for more than they paid for their boats originally and some are getting what they ask for.

it’s a sellers market but I’m not selling my boat because I could not replace it before the next boating season. Some will time the sale just right to maximize their profit but still get a deal on a new boat. Not me, I’m happy with what I have and don’t need or want a multi year installment payment plan.

568053DE-FD2D-49A6-8528-2279E206AE41.png

Mully262

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SD
Boat Length
If you are new to boating, good time to get something "less than ideal" for boat #1, and look to upgrade to Boat #2 in a couple years off the anticipated newer used boat inventory (hopefully summer 2022 if this covid thing finally goes away). Get your sea legs and dumb mistakes out of the way before stepping up.

Rooster585

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Who would have thought that in the middle of a pandemic, people are having difficulties buying boats.
in 2020 I was sticking on floor, yiest and ammunition the rest of the population was stucking on boats and RVs. 1st world priorities I guess.

at the end of the day this is great news since in a couple of years the market will be floaded with boats
10-4 Beitk! Wait till all the new boat owners figure out they ain't "boat people". Gotta prep yourself looking at the boat..... not in use......making payments for months on end. Oh then you have to do maintenance, wash, wax, clean and register the damn thing too?
Yeah - it will be a buyers market in a year or two for sure.

Miitch

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length