• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Is this reasonable offer for these days?

Gap22

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
2022 AR190 with galvanized trailer
IMG_20220604_201524.jpg

Rockit69

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Personally I would bypass the warranty and wait for them to offer it at a lower price if you really think you need it. That sales tax is brutal!

Last edited:

Seno

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Boat Length
Freight, prep and YES warranty are inflated. I picked up a new 21’ boat in February. Freight & yes warranty were 2K each and prep was about 1k. I think your dealer added 5k to the price.... Some dealers are trying to hit a home run on every sale, others want the repeat business. I would see if they are negotiable on prep and yes warranty, maybe the freight is more going to CA especially with fuel prices going through the roof. Your definitely paying too much prep and double what the YES warranty should be.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Get a used 21/24 footer for same price or not much more
Agreed.......unless you need to fit in a 7ft garage opening, or have tow rating limitations.

However I do agree. If you can find one, and don't have the above limitations. $47k goes a long way towards a bigger boat.

usea1040

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
IMO $2,500 in prep is absurdly high on an SX190. They have to add a battery, fuel, and unwrap the thing. Turn it on and make sure it starts and runs. Hell even a water test could be done with all the other stuff in 1/2 a day (assuming they're reasonably close to some body of water). Figure 2 guys at $75/hr for 4 hrs. 8hrs @$75/hr $600. Maybe $200 in battery/fuel/misc shop supplies. Marked up double gets us to $1,600. IMO that's still pretty generous for that boat. Not sure where the other $900 in that price comes from, and most likely they won't water test, and one guy will prep it in 2-3hrs time. $2,500 just seems REALLY high to me.....Of course I live in Indiana not California, so there's that.

I wouldn't get the YES warranty myself. Granted my '17 AR190 is significantly simpler than your '22 SX190 (I don't have any electronic doo-dads on mine), but I had nothing warrantable in the first 5 years of my ownership. The 190 boats are extremely simple, and don't have a lot to go wrong with, and if you're even a little bit handy with a wrench you can combine that with this forum and solve MOST of your problems.

I think $3,689 freight is high as well. There is some markup in there for certain. I just had a GIANT piece of industrial equipment shipped from Louisville KY, to the Death Valley area for about that much. That was a 55k lb machine that required a special trailer and overwide/overlong permits. I can't imagine an SX190 would cost that much to ship from TN to CA. I would beat them up on that price a little.

As for the painted vs galvanized trailer.......Unless you're exclusively in salt, I would take the painted trailer now, and plan on upgrading the trailer in the future. I would expect a mix use trailer to last 3-4 years at a minimum, maybe a bit longers with diligent rinsing and good maintenance. I certainly wouldn't let that be the limiting factor in your purchasing decision. If we were in a pre-COVID market, then I might be a bit more choosey, but right now, I'd take the painted trailer and use it for a few seasons, then start planning the upgrade.

With all that said......if you can't get them to budget, the opportunity to get another might be low. Take that into consideration.

Good Luck!
Thanks for your opinion and great advice. I decided not to buy a boat now and I'm going to wait for a few years. I'm not that crazy for this boat to pay 47k for a 33k boat. Hope things get back to normal soon. BTW the dealer gave me out the door 52k first on the phone and I asked the details about charges then they sent the quote with 47k.

usea1040

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Freight, prep and YES warranty are inflated. I picked up a new 21’ boat in February. Freight & yes warranty were 2K each and prep was about 1k. I think your dealer added 5k to the price.... Some dealers are trying to hit a home run on every sale, others want the repeat business. I would see if they are negotiable on prep and yes warranty, maybe the freight is more going to CA especially with fuel prices going through the roof. Your definitely paying too much prep and double what the YES warranty should be.
ya, I think so too. I will wait until things get back to normal.

King

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello, I'm new here at the forum also new for boating.
I got a offer from a yamaha dealer @ San Diego. I don't know if it's reasonable on these day.

View attachment 179457
Different states, boats, dealers and all, will bring in a ton of "apples vs. oranges" to the situation but, some things like the warranty should be a constant. Here's a copy of our buyers order for comparison. We're waiting for a 2022 212S just outside of the Atlanta metro in Georgia. Our MSRP to Out The Door price is less than 10k apart. I'm not speaking from experience on this one but, form what I've been seeing on that warranty is if it's over priced at purchase, hold off and Yamaha will reach out and offer it to you for about what we're getting from the dealer here in Georgia. Perhaps others will weigh in on that. I can't imagine waiting will cost you more, and will most likely cost less.
1654610692526.png

Guitarjesus

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Invoice looks reasonable until you find the $3241 in other charges at the bottom of the invoice. This is addition to the $2575 in dealer prep. Dealer is also making money on selling a YES warranty upfront. Not sure why a boat delivered to San Diego would have a steel and not a galvanized trailer. Personally, I would look for a lightly used boat, but I don't know how common they are on the west coast.

Jim
My 2018 SX190 with 70hrs when purchased was 32k out the door, hour north of SD and with galvanized trailer.

Southernerd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
2022 AR190 with galvanized trailer
View attachment 179624
I put a deposit for the same boat at two dealers in So.FL and when the boat came in the wanted around $45k out the door so I walked and bought a 21 with 10 hours for $35k. With that said, damn does the 22 look good.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Wow Interest rate is the real hidden killer 180 Months @ 386.39 = $69,550.20 The thing to watch for is the amortization rate of the financing you are most likely paying most of the interest up front, The real profit winner in this deal is the bank they would profit $22,231.00 Hopefully this is just something that is generated on the quote and your paying for the boat in full or a large down payment. 15 year loan if you kept it for 9 years I wouldn't be surprised if you paid 90% of that interest.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I understand what you are saying, but the amount of debt is really a personal decision. I always have purchased new vehicles with the idea that I never wanted to be underwater on the loan.

Regarding the example above, $383/mo is based on nothing down and full financing of the entire $47,320. Even with the full amount financed (180 months @5.39% interest) one would have a balance of $20,151 after 9 years. With 10% down, 5.39% interest, and a $382/mo payment, there would be a balance of $12,347 after 9 years. Are either of these acceptable? 🤷‍♂️ There is no universal right or wrong answer, as it is a personal decision to be made by the buyer.

Jim

bradmartin

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Freight and Prep go into the Dealer's pocket, 100%.

TBH, you could buy a used AR210 right around that or for just a bit more.
Correct. I got the 4 year YES warranty added on my 2022 AR210 and after dealer fees, tax, freight, etc - 57k

Southernerd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I understand what you are saying, but the amount of debt is really a personal decision. I always have purchased new vehicles with the idea that I never wanted to be underwater on the loan.

Regarding the example above, $383/mo is based on nothing down and full financing of the entire $47,320. Even with the full amount financed (180 months @5.39% interest) one would have a balance of $20,151 after 9 years. With 10% down, 5.39% interest, and a $382/mo payment, there would be a balance of $12,347 after 9 years. Are either of these acceptable? 🤷‍♂️ There is no universal right or wrong answer, as it is a personal decision to be made by the buyer.

Jim
I was reading this wondering why we were paying $500 a month after paying $20k down on my wife's car, then I saw the term. JFC. I had no idea boat loans were like mortgages. I assumed it was similar to a car 60/72 months. I guess that explains all the $75-100k+ boats I see. I've been wondering how folks afforded them.