• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Is this the correct wiring for a Shorelander trailer?

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@BigAbe75 , what kind of truck do you have?

On my Ram, the detector detecting whether there is a trailer there or not are in the rear lights. It may be with the bow of the boat that it cannot 'see' that there is a trailer there, so it allows the sonar detectors to operate (which then say that the point of your hitch is too close and beeps like crazy). Or it may be that it is detecting the trailer via the electrical connection. I would not think that the LED's would cause it not to register--many trailers have had LED's for years. However it may be that something else is open in your wiring that causes nondetection (if based on the connection).

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@BigAbe75 , what kind of truck do you have?

On my Ram, the detector detecting whether there is a trailer there or not are in the rear lights. It may be with the bow of the boat that it cannot 'see' that there is a trailer there, so it allows the sonar detectors to operate (which then say that the point of your hitch is too close and beeps like crazy). Or it may be that it is detecting the trailer via the electrical connection. I would not think that the LED's would cause it not to register--many trailers have had LED's for years. However it may be that something else is open in your wiring that causes nondetection (if based on the connection).
2011 Ford F250. I'm not sure of the trim package off the top of my head. But, in it's former life it was a utility truck so one of the more base models.

I believe it has 4 sensors across the back of the bumper that it uses to detect stuff.

According to the dealer, the truck 'should' pop up an alert on the display screen that you can silence. But, mine doesn't do that, and they couldn't figure out why. If it would do that, I could easily live with silencing the alarm, or disabling the park assist (I think that's what our '08 Tahoe called it).

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I've been doing some Googling tonight and have a couple ideas for locating the silence option... but the youtube video that I watched had a much different LCD screen than I do. I've only got 2 lines of monochrome blue text, where the video had more like 5 or 6 lines and more color.

Edit: I just find it frustrating that it is necessary, since it detects my little utility trailer and camper just fine and does not beep in reverse with those attached... no special steps required.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Have you tried to put it in reverse (so it beeps) and then press the SELECT/RESET stalk for a couple of seconds? That is what the internet says...

But you are right, it is the 4 sensors across the back bumper that detect when something is too close. Mine has sensors in the tail lights as well that detect if there is a trailer (and then turn off those 4 sensors). For a 2011, I doubt yours has that...

LukePrinsloo

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've been doing some Googling tonight and have a couple ideas for locating the silence option... but the youtube video that I watched had a much different LCD screen than I do. I've only got 2 lines of monochrome blue text, where the video had more like 5 or 6 lines and more color.

Edit: I just find it frustrating that it is necessary, since it detects my little utility trailer and camper just fine and does not beep in reverse with those attached... no special steps required.
My 2014 F150 has the pop up. IIRC there is a way to get it to show for you. I never use the park sensors but i HATE them. I rewired my trailer to 7 pin in order to try get around this as i've towed other 7 pin trailers and that's turned off the sensors for me. Still looking for a solution. No one can tell me WHAT the truck is looking for to tell it to shut the sensors off. If it's the electric brake looking for ground that would make it easy. I'm going to be messing with my wiring next time I am near the boat to see if i can fix it.

LukePrinsloo

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

FYI, i connected the EB (electronic brake) pin to ground. My dash imediately threw up codes etc about bad trailer wiring, but it did detect that a trailer was attached.

it's beyond annoying b/c my FIL's 2015 f150 hooked up fine today to a 4 pin and detected the trailer.

Last edited:

Gas Passer

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My left tail light plug got corroded and power was not being delivered to my running lights on the left tail light (everything else works perfect to include turn and stop lights). I decided to get rid of the plug and hardwire everything (white with white, yellow with yellow, and brown with brown). No changes to what was described above. Do I need another cable (white) connected to the brown cables? Why are my running lights not working?

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not following what you are describing... Do you have a pic of what you did?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My left tail light plug got corroded and power was not being delivered to my running lights on the left tail light (everything else works perfect to include turn and stop lights). I decided to get rid of the plug and hardwire everything (white with white, yellow with yellow, and brown with brown). No changes to what was described above. Do I need another cable (white) connected to the brown cables? Why are my running lights not working?
Are these incandescent bulbs or LED? If it’s a dual filament bulb perhaps the filament broke loose for the running light aspect of the bulb. This would explain why the turn signal and brake light works but not the running light since turning and brake typically work on the other filament.