• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

JBL issues on new boat.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Is this an issue? It was working fine when I picked it up and we took it out the first time. But in the barn, I was just working my way around getting stuff done. I decided to turn on the stereo while I was working. I opened the cd door to see he that worked. After I closed it, it froze and I couldn't shut it off. I had to reset it to get it to power off. I have not installed a battery switch yet, so other than a ground cable disconnect, no way to disconnect it. Ideas? Issue for warranty?

We have seen that issue with other stereos. If you remove power completely and it resets internally and works OK, you may not be able to get it warrantied, but its worth a try......It's only brand new once, and should work like it!

Funny thing is it was working fine. Only after I opened the damn cd door did this happen. I had to reset it to shut it down.

Yeah, i'd at least try for a warranty replacement... ya never know! Wouldn't want that to happen out on the water....

Our stereo stopped working one day... We took the face plate off and kept it inside from then on as well as removing all electricity from the boat for storage ... When we put the faceplate back on and batteries back in, it worked fine.....and has worked ever since..... weird....

The new JBL units do not have removable faceplates like the 230's did. They have a tilt out to get the cd in/out. Very strange the way it was working and just opening/closing caused this somehow. It even sounds better than the old JBL and seaworthy speakers, but that isn't saying much.

Time for your first mod. Replace that faulty stereo. Might as well replace every speaker and add a few more while you are at it.

I'm not sure if yours has the same unit as mine but mine would intermittently work. The volume would go all the way up and then down on its own; stations would continuously change. It was a pain in the ass. I didn't feel like driving an hour and a half one way to the dealer for warranty so I jut bought a new one. Mine was jbl too.

I am having some heartburn with the idea of replacing a brand new HU. Yes, it is not as user friendly as some of the others. Yes, its numbers are not as good. Yes, you have no zone separaration. But adding an EQ is beyond many wives desire to learn to use, it takes up room we don't have, and makes the helm look cluttered IMO. I can cure the zone issues with line control. And I only use the HU for interface from ipod to speaker. So just yanking out a brand new unit that will work fine in my application (once I add better speakers and amplification), seems a waist. I guess I will see about warranty when I take the boat for the turf replacement.

One other thought...could I have had a battery "state of charge" issue? I had not had the battery connected to my pulsetech charger for about a week. It is now, so I will try it tomorrow and see if it is the same. I can see I need to just add a battery switch and get that over with!

Can you replicate the problem? Your dealer might no be able to replace it if they don't see the problem first hand.

What's wrong with the turf? Maybe no missed this in another thread.

If you can replicate this issue, try to video it on your phone in case they can't. I've had some success with this with my Ford dealer. Apparently they need to witness the issue or have proof to get warranty approval and for those intermittent issues, that can be a real PITA!

@Murf'n'surf The boat was stored outside during the season (just like it came from Vonore, in the shipping cover). It dried out and chalking mocha dust everywhere! It is being replaced under warranty. Now that one, I didn't check very good I guess when I picked it up. The turf was not blistered or burned, it was single colored and perfect...but the boat had been detailed, so it showed well. It did however have dust everywhere after the road trip home...chocolate dust. I vacuumed it all up and it just dusted up again after just walking on it a little. I also found an air void in between the gelcoat and the strand on a corner on the transom. Already filled that...thanks @Glassman !

@steined , it wasn't intermittent at all when it was doing it. If I turned it on, I couldn't turn it off. The only button function it had was the volume control. It was not something I had seen before. If it is still doing it, I will video it, but I will also show them when I go in for the turf. Toby ordered the turf and will call me when it comes in. Maybe I ought to just call him beforehand on this.

@txav8r, I've had every problem you can think of with my JBL radio. I've taking it to the dealer I've had them replace it 3 times I've had them replace the rear remote 3 times new wiring harness. I still have the problems even after all that was done. It really pissed me off that would be on my boat and I couldn't have any music so finally after 2 and half years I took the old crap out and replaced it with clarion 303 and mw1 rear remote. problem solved. I haven't had any problems with my radio. I was like you I thought it was ridiculous I bought a brand new boat and the radio doesn't work. Save time and grief and headaches just get rid of the JBL and get a different radio

That is probably sage advice @mattschepker . I may just have to bite the bullet and do just that.

Maybe the dealer/Yamaha will give you credit towards a new HU and remote instead of replacing the stock unit? I think I remember a dealer doing this in the past, but is most likely because a new stereo was purchased from the dealer.

Maybe the dealer/Yamaha will give you credit towards a new HU and remote instead of replacing the stock unit? I think I remember a dealer doing this in the past, but is most likely because a new stereo was purchased from the dealer.
I am guessing that. But dealing with a dealer here vs where I bought it, and not buying the "yamaha" accessory HU's, doesn't give me much choice through them. I can't really expect PD to credit me for a boat I didn't buy through them. Now if Yamaha gave the credit, they would pass it along I am sure.

You could always get a replacement then sell off the entire new factory system for a little cash in the pocket. :wink

That is an angle I had not thought about...

Back