• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Jet Boat handling...

morgro269

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I just wanted to take a minute to talk about jet boat handling. I've seen a lot of posts with people unsure about it or discouraged after trying it once. I have a lot of experience driving I/O boats and few hours on a 212x. I've had my new 242LS for a little over a week and have about 12 hours on it now. My first time out, I had some challenges. I had a great demo with the dealer that taught me a lot. I am nowhere near an expert yet, but I am pretty confident with it. I actually let everyone else drive when we are cruising and prefer to drive it around docks and anything low speed. The low speed handling that this boat is capable of is simply amazing. I'm not sure why anyone would choose a different type of propulsion (at least for boating in lakes in rivers).
The dealer taught me to use only no wake mode for any low speed navigation- not just cruising through a no wake zone. A lot of forward and reverse and never use the throttles passed the first detent in forward or reverse. I find having the no wake mode in at least +1 or +2, more depending on wind or current provides the best steering response. Anyway, just random thoughts by Bob as I sit here and look forward to the weekend...

Your boat has an advantage in handling compared to all previous Yamaha boats. Only the 24' 2015 models have the keel and rudder. All others are much more slippery at low speed. That is why Cobra Steering and Thrust Vectors are so popular.

I am learning to be proactive with steering instead of reactive... and the same with throttles at low speeds.. it is becoming a lot easier..

I recently installed a system that steers the boat for me. It works great in all conditions and can even load the boat on the trailer.
Technically, it's not a "system", it's my daughter...ever since she came home from school it's the only thing I can get her to do without bitching at her.
So I just sit in back with my wife and let her drive until she's had enough or until I wake up. :)

I have purchased three of those systems.. however the driver downloads seem to take forever... I have been waiting on the oldest for 13 years now.. but about anytime the dl should be complete on that one and then I'll just have to restart to activate it..

This is my first year with a jet boat too. I came from a 17 foot I/O and could maneuver that boat with ease. The jetboat was just like learning all over again. But a few times into the dock and with practice I am finding it almost easier than the I/O. What I like is popping the throttles in and out of forward and reverse without having to switch gears and even using one engine in forward and one in reverse. I have found a lot of the inputs are backwards compared to an I/O. Eg, if you want to swing the stern towards the dock put it in reverse and turn the wheel towards the dock and not away. If you go slow enough you can pretty much do what you want with it. Its just a learning curve and with time it will become second nature.

I agree with folks that once you get the handle of a jet boat it is actually easier than an I/O when it comes to docking. HOWEVER, introduce winds above 10 mph and boy there are times I really miss that 3' deep outdrive. The wind can swing the tail end of these boats much faster than you can compensate for and make for some interesting maneuvers.

There have been times that I've hand to approach the dock with the throttles in reverse the entire time because of a 20 mph stern wind.

No problems handling for me after one year, unless the wind is howling.....

I agree with folks that once you get the handle of a jet boat it is actually easier than an I/O when it comes to docking. HOWEVER, introduce winds above 10 mph and boy there are times I really miss that 3' deep outdrive. The wind can swing the tail end of these boats much faster than you can compensate for and make for some interesting maneuvers.

There have been times that I've hand to approach the dock with the throttles in reverse the entire time because of a 20 mph stern wind.

When it's windy and you are docking parallel let the wind be your friend. Come in nose first and let the stern drift and come around then throttle forward and and turn away from the dock slightly and the stern will gently swing around. Of course someone needs to jump out to hold the boat.

Yes, wind does push these boats around. If at all possible, I will make my approach from the leeward side of a dock. If you head into the wind you have a bit more control with your engines.
@Shuck Water , I hear you about the "reverse" approach. Often it's easier for me to swing around and let the wind push the boat stern first.
As a rule I prefer to drop passengers off of the stern. Get close enough to the drop off point, then punch it! They hit the dock running!!:eek:

Just as a point of interest. I have a member testing out my new COBRA VENOM MAGNUM A K SERIES system on a new Yamaha 2015 articulated keel jet boat . I was conversing with him recently after I had him review the install sheet for his input. While he was emailing me back he added this comment.

"As an aside, we were pulling the boat out after memorial day. There were some boats along the dock, so I spun the boat and backed to the edge of the dock. My wife walked off the swim platform onto the dock to retrieve the trailer. I pulled away.
It was pretty sweet. Of course it was very calm at the time with very little wind, but nonetheless, cool.
Thanks."
So there are always going to be people who can adapt to new things and then there will always be people like myself who like to improve things to make life easier and more enjoyable.
I always said, try it like they built it and if you decide you like it that's great, if not you can change it .
No he can't tell you who he is yet but he will probably be getting a lot of questions once he can.

I'm sure having someone jump out and help from the dock makes it easier. However, my wife isn't that into boating so often I go out by myself. Doing the whole docking / jump out / get the trailer procedure is pretty exhausting. Even when she is with me, she's not good at holding the boat while I get the trailer, and she's not confident at driving truck either so it's all on me.... :0
She is a good navigator though.

I have only had my boat out 4 times now but I must say I feel that I am getting much better at the slow speed maneuvers. The new trailer guides help on the loading part.

Hey there - New to the forum, but have a new 15 SX210 sitting in a slip and couldn't agree more with the original poster. After the first trip out on the river (coming from an I/O) I was wondering what the hell I had done and wanted my money back. My first time out with the family was tense, then coming in I rammed it into the slip nose first with a mild scratch but it came out (thought I was in neutral, but it was in no wake mode still. Was coming in WAY too Hot). Second time in I almost slammed into another boat in the marina slip next to me because I used the wrong reverse, sent it into a spin, and nearly tore my arm off trying to keep the sterns from colliding. Boating was making me nervous and I hated it.

Last time out was so much better. Took my time, thought ahead, took it slow out of the marina, used the NWMode and off we went. Learned to turn a bit better at really low speeds (still need some/a lot of practice) but really am feeling good about getting back out asap.

Best tip I have learned is when docking or coming into a slip- Neutral is your best friend once you are where you want to be. The boat keeps moving forward, even in neutral, so when docking, once you get it where you want it, go neutral, and if needed, shut off the engines.

I doubt I articulated this very well, especially from someone who has only been out 3 times, but I hope it helps because these boats are cool.

I think most people oversteer and overpower these boats. I found once I figured out that at low speeds I had to start cutting back way early, and then that I had to turn much less, and that I should pop it forward and then into neutral and keep just touching it forward when I need to adjust something (rather than constantly), I did much better.

I do not use any throttle ever when docking. Once Im within about 75 ft, I will turn the cruise control OFF, and work the throttle handle up and down to guide me in, never too much though to add rpm's

Yeah, I disagree with the dealer recommending use of No Wake Mode for close quarters drills. I can do all of that without no wake mode and don't have the extra rpm when I don't want it then. And when things develop you want to change fast, there are only 3 ways to disengage no wake mode...throttles past 3000 rpm, use the no wake button to disengage, or turn the motors off. None of those work well when you need to decrease rpm fast. I find it better to use the intermediate setting for the TDE (thrust directional enhancement) and just work in and out of forward idle and reverse idle...and there is no shame in spending more time in neutral and letting the boat drift slowly into position. Use the wind to your advantage...it is an advance maneuver to fight it.

I wanted to add that even Yamaha may be recommending use of no wake mode in close quarters maneuvering, but they are trying to sell boats to those that don't yet understand them. You won't need it once you learn to anticipate what it will do and get a better handle on feathering in and out of fwd/reverse.

Back