• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

jet boat pilot thrust vectors or cobra ak with mega fang for my 2018 ar240???????

jonas riccio

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
picking up brand new ar240 this week..please advise!

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You'll have many suggestions I'm sure but I can tell you that if you go with the Thrust Vectors they come with a lifetime warranty, are fully compatible with our new Lateral Thrusters, and are designed to address slow speed steering. Some will argue that you will want more control trol at higher speeds and if that is the case the TVs may not be for you. We have thousands of happy customers and I'm sure many will chime in here. Enjoy your new toy!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The first advice I can give you is to drive the boat as it comes from the factory.
This will familiarize you with any shortcomings that may exist in the handling department, as well as give you a baseline for improvements that you may realize from a new upgraded system.
The Cobra system for your Articulating keel model boat addresses many areas that we believe are valuable in turning your boat into a very enjoyable and predictable jet boat to serve a variety of uses while becoming comfortable for all your friends and family to operate without serious shortcomings or long learning curves.

First we address the very large keel down the center of the hull and the fact that a keel down the center of a hull will resist turning at planning speeds . The faster you go the more it wants to go straight!
We address this by placing two extra steering fins directly exposed to the water flow while the boat is on or off plane.
One on the outside of each nozzle .
These greatly improve the turning of the boat without hanging way down behind the boat to improve clearance with the ground.
We build these out of laser cut 6061-t6 tempered aircraft aluminum so that they are very effective without needing to be huge . We have these set up in a V configuration incorporating the factory rudder in this V formation of steering fins.

Next we also address the obvious imbalance of the factory rudder drawing off the right hand nozzle and steering cables via a single tie rod attachment.
By adding a second tie rod to divide the work load from one nozzle and cable to both nozzles and steering cables evenly. I feel this extra rod is very important to complete the original boat design .
This setup applies a PUSH and a PULL to all the steering components fins, rudder and nozzles when turning in either direction. remember the nozzles also have a huge force inside of them fighting any redirection of the jet thrust being produced by the pumps.
My many years of experience have shown me that a steering cable is more apt to fail when being pulled than when it is being pushed in a hard turn.
Having this setup will also add redundancy to your steering system . Hopefully you never need it but imagine the problem if your original setup failed on the right side and that would be the most likely side to fail due to the extra work load or the possibility of the factory rudder making contact with the ground when the boat is beached or in shallow water.

Now having all these features and benefits are great but I am not finished.
I also make an upgrade to the system called the Mega Fangs.
These special fins mount below the nozzle where the reverse thrust exits the nozzle when the boat controls are placed in reverse. These special fins are made to go forward of the pivot point of the nozzle rather than backward.
Without this added to your nozzle, water exiting the nozzle spreads out fairly rapidly and since this is your reverse thrust and reverse steering control the fact is that even with the extra rudder on the back of the boat reverse control is seriously lacking if not completely missing .
The mega fangs capture the reverse thrust as it exits the bottom of the nozzle making it stronger.
They also direct it much more than the original setup does because they focus it.
So that function harnesses more of the existing reverse thrust exiting the nozzle to give you a stronger stopping ability when using reverse to avoid hitting a dock and more steering control to bring the boat in to tight places in reverse, it also makes the boat more maneuverable in reverse but most importantly it is a true reverse and it steers and responds as it should when backing the boat the reverse control responds naturally and positively with more power and effect than the original setup. This is also helpful for backing off trailers or boat lifts .

And still more features and benefits!
I mentioned that the Mega Fangs go forward of the pivot point of your nozzles, this provides you with reduced steering resistance at planning speeds as the Mega Fangs help turn the system using those forward fins similar to how a large ancient boat rudder would operate using the same principal allowing a single person to steer using a tiller.
And these special forward leading fins also enhance the steering fins and rudder effect as they lead the back of the boat in a turn making it more responsive with less speed bleed off in high speed turns during water sports. You will also notice that you stay in control of the boat while decelerating rapidly and turning at the same time, so in an emergency if you pull back on the throttles and steer away from a situation you won't loose control of the boat.
So what does all this cost 324.25 for the magnum A K system including the extra tie rod, and 219.98 for the mega fangs complete with the mounting brackets for a total price of 544.23 free priority mail in the U S A first responders get a discount and active military also get a discount if you contact me directly BEFORE ordering! 30 day MONEY back guarantee if you try the system and you are not happy and a special 49 dollar or less repair or replace warranty on all parts . Visit my web page for all the details of those warranty's. I am usually available to answer questions. Warning to married people if you allow the wife to drive the boat with my system on it you will probably be finding yourself sitting in the passenger seat a lot more than before you did the install.

Last edited:

Mike & Lilly

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
All the research I've done and all the videos I've seen I'm buying The Cobra jet steering, on top speed they are about the same but coming out of speed no comparison. There's a YOU tube video on the comparison of the 2, on a FSH 210 look for it, best video for this comparison his a member look for Jerry Benton on YOU tube.

And I'm not taking sides don't know eiher one of this company personally just my personal opinion.

WildBillF1

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
The first advice I can give you is to drive the boat as it comes from the factory.
This will familiarize you with any shortcomings that may exist in the handling department, as well as give you a baseline for improvements that you may realize from a new upgraded system.
The Cobra system for your Articulating keel model boat addresses many areas that we believe are valuable in turning your boat into a very enjoyable and predictable jet boat to serve a variety of uses while becoming comfortable for all your friends and family to operate without serious shortcomings or long learning curves.

First we address the very large keel down the center of the hull and the fact that a keel down the center of a hull will resist turning at planning speeds . The faster you go the more it wants to go straight!
We address this by placing two extra steering fins directly exposed to the water flow while the boat is on or off plane.
One on the outside of each nozzle .
These greatly improve the turning of the boat without hanging way down behind the boat to improve clearance with the ground.
We build these out of laser cut 6061-t6 tempered aircraft aluminum so that they are very effective without needing to be huge . We have these set up in a V configuration incorporating the factory rudder in this V formation of steering fins.

Next we also address the obvious imbalance of the factory rudder drawing off the right hand nozzle and steering cables via a single tie rod attachment.
By adding a second tie rod to divide the work load from one nozzle and cable to both nozzles and steering cables evenly. I feel this extra rod is very important to complete the original boat design .
This setup applies a PUSH and a PULL to all the steering components fins, rudder and nozzles when turning in either direction. remember the nozzles also have a huge force inside of them fighting any redirection of the jet thrust being produced by the pumps.
My many years of experience have shown me that a steering cable is more apt to fail when being pulled than when it is being pushed in a hard turn.
Having this setup will also add redundancy to your steering system . Hopefully you never need it but imagine the problem if your original setup failed on the right side and that would be the most likely side to fail due to the extra work load or the possibility of the factory rudder making contact with the ground when the boat is beached or in shallow water.

Now having all these features and benefits are great but I am not finished.
I also make an upgrade to the system called the Mega Fangs.
These special fins mount below the nozzle where the reverse thrust exits the nozzle when the boat controls are placed in reverse. These special fins are made to go forward of the pivot point of the nozzle rather than backward.
Without this added to your nozzle, water exiting the nozzle spreads out fairly rapidly and since this is your reverse thrust and reverse steering control the fact is that even with the extra rudder on the back of the boat reverse control is seriously lacking if not completely missing .
The mega fangs capture the reverse thrust as it exits the bottom of the nozzle making it stronger.
They also direct it much more than the original setup does because they focus it.
So that function harnesses more of the existing reverse thrust exiting the nozzle to give you a stronger stopping ability when using reverse to avoid hitting a dock and more steering control to bring the boat in to tight places in reverse, it also makes the boat more maneuverable in reverse but most importantly it is a true reverse and it steers and responds as it should when backing the boat the reverse control responds naturally and positively with more power and effect than the original setup. This is also helpful for backing off trailers or boat lifts .

And still more features and benefits!
I mentioned that the Mega Fangs go forward of the pivot point of your nozzles, this provides you with reduced steering resistance at planning speeds as the Mega Fangs help turn the system using those forward fins similar to how a large ancient boat rudder would operate using the same principal allowing a single person to steer using a tiller.
And these special forward leading fins also enhance the steering fins and rudder effect as they lead the back of the boat in a turn making it more responsive with less speed bleed off in high speed turns during water sports. You will also notice that you stay in control of the boat while decelerating rapidly and turning at the same time, so in an emergency if you pull back on the throttles and steer away from a situation you won't loose control of the boat.
So what does all this cost 324.25 for the magnum A K system including the extra tie rod, and 219.98 for the mega fangs complete with the mounting brackets for a total price of 544.23 free priority mail in the U S A first responders get a discount and active military also get a discount if you contact me directly BEFORE ordering! 30 day MONEY back guarantee if you try the system and you are not happy and a special 49 dollar or less repair or replace warranty on all parts . Visit my web page for all the details of those warranty's. I am usually available to answer questions. Warning to married people if you allow the wife to drive the boat with my system on it you will probably be finding yourself sitting in the passenger seat a lot more than before you did the install.
These Cobra's must be the ShamWow of rudders. Jeez man, it's just a rudder, not some new breakthrough in fluid dynamics. Hahahaha!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Thank you for noticing that nothing on the market can compare to the features and benefits offered by COBRA JET STEERING And if someone wanted to do another test just take a twin engine boat out and alternate the throttles to get it to rotate in place with No extra steering added just stock it's an old maneuver.
I did forget to mention the magnum A k system is also cross compatible so if someone wants to mix the system with the side thrust capers they will fit as delivered. although you will not receive all the benefits offered by the mega fangs .
Since I have been doing jet boat steering and P W C steering since 2001 and boating over 50 years I would hazard a guess that I know a thing or two about steering and if you do your homework you too could have something more knowledgeable to add to this conversation .
Just talk to people who own a 19 foot boat like you do and find out how they like their boats carving like they are on rails and planning faster, steering at slow speed and having better real reverse control .
Or not going into a spin when reducing the throttle when driving on plane . It appears from your comment you may have a lot to learn and I would encourage you to do some homework . But to answer the comment ABSOLOUTELY BETTER! By the way TROLLS usually gets me more business because it allows me to put info in front of people and I am not By any means bashful so Thank you! Now consider that you are insulting around 9000 happy Yamaha jet boat customers with your foolish comments I am sure they appreciate it.

Last edited:

DeadlyFrog

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
X3.... Haven't we heard it all before. Please use the Search button!

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@jonas riccio, sorry you're getting some terse replies to one of your first posts but you'll find that there are a ton of posts on the topic and in almost all of them unfortunately the conversation ends up heated and pointless quickly. Fortunately, this forum is (usually) civilized enough that Godwin's Law doesn't apply (have come close though - particularly on this topic!).
The answer to your question is the same as the answer to "whose boat is best" (hint: answer is "mine") or "what model should I buy" (answer: that depends!).
(FWIW, I chose TVs because they fold up and I prefer that to fixed even if it's a compromise at speed.)
PS: Congratulations on the new boat!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Really you like fins that go up at speed? You could have added the Ultimate system I make and had adjustability, select ability and spring loaded fins and added the mega fangs to those as well.
I installed the Ultimate set on a non rudder 24 foot boat similar to your boat with just the regular smaller fangs and performed S turns OFF power, and straight high speed tracking plus excellent slow speed steering with tempered aluminum fins smaller than the thrust vectors your boat has on it now. Plus we did numerous off power steering tests with the Ultimate system and never lost control of the boat, I just wanted to point that out since I make numerous systems, actually the magnum A k system we are discussing is not even made for a non A K model just to clarify things however I appreciate your input .
That being said I agree that posts like the sham wow should not be allowed as it will just lead to another cesspool thread like the one that was locked recently.. Some of us spend a lot of time on this web site helping people with all sorts of issues not related to our business so allowing foolish comments from people with 40 posts to their name is seriously counter productive for the site it shows that people should just stop trying to help people who need it. And I doubt it makes the site admins proud of this web page.

Last edited:

afdouble

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Really you like fins that go up at speed? You could have added the Ultimate system I make and had adjustability, select ability and spring loaded fins and added the mega fangs to those as well.
I installed the Ultimate set on a non rudder 24 foot boat similar to your boat with just the regular smaller fangs and performed S turns OFF power, and straight high speed tracking plus excellent slow speed steering with tempered aluminum fins smaller than the thrust vectors your boat has on it now. Plus we did numerous off power steering tests with the Ultimate system and never lost control of the boat, I just wanted to point that out since I make numerous systems, actually the magnum A k system we are discussing is not even made for a non A K model just to clarify things however I appreciate your input .
That being said I agree that posts like the sham wow should not be allowed as it will just lead to another cesspool thread like the one that was locked recently.. Some of us spend a lot of time on this web site helping people with all sorts of issues not related to our business so allowing foolish comments from people with 40 posts to their name is seriously counter productive for the site it shows that people should just stop trying to help people who need it. And I doubt it makes the site admins proud of this web page.

And here we go....

AlphaKap

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
This thread is not ADHD friendly.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
X3.... Haven't we heard it all before. Please use the Search button!
X4. Really wished people would learn to search for things before asking the same question over and over. Also, who needs fins? My '15 242 is the first boat I have owned and I have never thought I needed additional fins or rudders. I can put this boat anywhere I need it at slow speeds in forward and reverse. I am intrigued by the lateral thrusters though. I like how they can provide side thrust without actually moving so it pushes the boat side to side.

M@__

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
Isn’t the problem overmarketing not new users asking for advice?

Posting “search” is just not very welcoming.

For the record, I like mine w/o any training wheels (fins).

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
X4. Really wished people would learn to search for things before asking the same question over and over. Also, who needs fins? My '15 242 is the first boat I have owned and I have never thought I needed additional fins or rudders. I can put this boat anywhere I need it at slow speeds in forward and reverse. I am intrigued by the lateral thrusters though. I like how they can provide side thrust without actually moving so it pushes the boat side to side.
Agreed. The TVs aren't high on my list of needs - maybe with a non-keel boat I'd want them, but the LTs seem very interesting. I'm sure we'll get a lecture shortly about how terrible they are, though.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
picking up brand new ar240 this week..please advise!
Welcome!! And congratulations.

Personally I’d look at buying the RiDE bucket parts from a ski and putting them on your boat.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length