• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Jet nozzels not aligned

Brian_NY

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Jeff, I was able to drop the tie rod from the nozzle on the right side but I was never able to get the bolt out of the tie rod. It just spins. I knew that was odd. I reinstalled it the way it came out. Is this going to be an issue? I certainly will give it another try. The only parts that I have left from the install was the new bolt, washers and nut for that rod.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Yes that is a very common issue, the people installing the tie rods at the factory love to pour thread locking compound all over the tie rod ends actually gluing the bolt in the hole. That bolt is not supposed to be that way but it is a common screw-up from the factory so you will need to knock out the original bolt , I use a deep socket to support the tie rod end while I knock out the bolt with a tap from a hammer . I usually give people a heads up in the email I send with all the attachments etc.

Brian_NY

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
ahhhh geez...….I am not exactly the best mechanic but I will give it a good try. SOOOOOOOOOOO how long would it take me to get a new tie rod. LOL I will do it tomorrow after work. :)

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
It will come out I see this quite often, people think it is supposed to unscrew but it is just supposed to pull out so no big deal it comes out easy if you do it the way I said.

Brian_NY

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Finally got the boat in the water for the first time this season. I was out at Candlewood Lake in CT. The fins and fangs are installed, the nozzles are at factory spec and it was a beautiful day. I was definitely impressed with the slow speed handling. The boat tracked nicely at plane. Reverse was way more responsive. All in all very happy. I still need some more work on my approaching the docks but that's a user issue. Thanks to everyone for their advice. And a special thanks to Jeff for excellent support. Don't find that kind of service much any more.

InmyElement

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Aligning the nozzles is very important ,center the wheel, then undo the steering cables at the nozzle arms. Remove the bolt from the rudder to detach the tie rods, with the reverse up out of the way.
Now place a straight edge across the 2 nozzle openings, I use a level for this. if you can get someone to hold the level against the nozzles while you readjust the two steering cable ends to reattach them with the nozzles evenly.
Then readjust the tie rod ends to meet at the rudder and using the tie rods adjust them out just about 1/8 inch and lock them in place there will be enough free play in the cables to allow this.
Now your fins are towed in slightly and will track very nicely at speed. also the tie rods will hold the nozzles in proper place much better than just the steering cables alone.
Anyone have a picture of this level and aligning the nozzles? I think that's what I need to do..I have the Ulimate with mega fangs and waiting for Jeff to get some more Super Ultimate in stock to upgrade :)..I was out on Sunday with the boat on plane 25 mph and the steering is pretty heavy pulling to the left...I have to hold back on the wheel..any suggestions other than aligning the nozzles? I don't have an articulating keel to worry about.
Thanks

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Jeff has inventory now , having a pull indicates the nozzle alignment is off and on a regular non keel boat it would need to be off considerably so email me and I will give you the tricks to realigning your nozzles and centering your steering wheel.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Anyone have a picture of this level and aligning the nozzles? I think that's what I need to do..I have the Ulimate with mega fangs and waiting for Jeff to get some more Super Ultimate in stock to upgrade :)..I was out on Sunday with the boat on plane 25 mph and the steering is pretty heavy pulling to the left...I have to hold back on the wheel..any suggestions other than aligning the nozzles? I don't have an articulating keel to worry about.
Thanks
If you have an option of pulling the boat out on a trailer (otherwise it maybe hard doing it on a lift) - I would stand far behind the stern and scope it out, by eye, to see if there are any obvious "misalignments" that would correlate with a particular pull/deviation you experience. I find this "method" to be very accurate, lol.
The steering with Cobra system should be neutral and have no side pull. I tweaked mine until I can take my hands off the wheel at any speed now (in good conditions) and the boat tracks completely strait for as long as I care to not hold the wheel.
My 0.02

--

Liftr

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks
Take a look at this thread it may help.

grywlfbg

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Aligning the nozzles is very important ,center the wheel, then undo the steering cables at the nozzle arms. Remove the bolt from the rudder to detach the tie rods, with the reverse up out of the way.
Now place a straight edge across the 2 nozzle openings, I use a level for this. if you can get someone to hold the level against the nozzles while you readjust the two steering cable ends to reattach them with the nozzles evenly.
Then readjust the tie rod ends to meet at the rudder and using the tie rods adjust them out just about 1/8 inch and lock them in place there will be enough free play in the cables to allow this.
Now your fins are towed in slightly and will track very nicely at speed. also the tie rods will hold the nozzles in proper place much better than just the steering cables alone.
Hi Jeff,

Future customer here, planning on a 242X this winter, reading everything I can on this board before I purchase.

I have a question on the above where you say to adjust the tie rods out 1/8" after centering the nozzles. From what I've read you want the nozzles to be toed in slightly. Since the tie rods run from the rudder in the middle, out to the nozzles, wouldn't you want to adjust the tie rods "in" (shorten) them by 1/8" to give the desired toe in? Or is this a separate thing, with the goal of the 1/8" "out" (longer) of the tie rods that you state above just to take up the slack in the steering cable?

Thanks!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The tow is for the leading edges of the fins so the back " rear opening" of the nozzle being just a tad out puts the leading edges of the fins slightly in so they cut through the water smoothly.

grywlfbg

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The tow is for the leading edges of the fins so the back " rear opening" of the nozzle being just a tad out puts the leading edges of the fins slightly in so they cut through the water smoothly.
Of course! Everything is in relation to the front of the boat. I was thinking about it from the boat towards the rear but that's backwards. I'll go back to my corner now :)

InmyElement

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thanks Everyone for the insight..got my new SUPER Ultimate Fins installed, everything fits and looks great! Aligned my Nozzles both were off a tad...now just need to get out on the water..

Brian_NY

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Mine are working great. It was a good investment.

InmyElement

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Cobra Jet Steering LLC
Jeff,
Should I also do this toe in on my 212x that does not have a keel or tie rod?

I currently have the latest full Cobra Jet Steering setup. I'm putting everything back together after adding the Lucky 13 cones. I didn't see a way to take off the steering yoke bolt (bolt head on top) without removing the fins starboard/spring bolt or maybe I'm missing something..

Any insight would be appreciated. Stay well my friend..Thanks

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Did You check your nozzles with a straight edge? the non tie rod nozzles can be set towed in slightly using the steering cables adjustments and yes you may need to unbolt the springs, but that is pretty simple to do.
I always recommend some thread lock on the bolt when you reinstall it if you do remove it.
If your nozzles are even I would not do anything unless you experience a pull at high speeds ,remember your nozzles setup does have a bit of side float in it and without the duel tie rods to secure the nozzles positions I believe it may require a periodic readjustment as the cables get some play.
So I would wait until you drive the boat to see if any adjustment is needed.
Not sure if your boat has trim tabs added but if you don't have those you may want to change your side force stabilizer to the latest one I am making to give your boat a better hole shot and more stable ride in chop.
I extended the ride plates out behind the boat on 2015 year models or newer. Since your boat did not have the tie rod setup yet I am assuming you have the super ultimate twin with the mega fangs.
I made extended side force stabilizers for the nozzles that have the boss on the end, I also made some special ones for adding the top inner fin to the magnum AK and AK-19 systems, So far I am hearing back that the wake is a bit cleaner the planing is very quick and the bow is more stable.
I put some pictures on my vendor section https://jetboaters.net/threads/basic-information-about-the-various-options-from-cobra-jet-steering-llc.16857/ and I finally have fangs for the single engine 19 foot boats with the Keel as well as the AK-19 VIPER and some top fangs that are also available for ALL vipers.
I have been waiting for more inventory but I just received an email saying my parts are ready so I have been working on making install instructions and I do not have these options on my web page yet because I don't do that page and I give up on trying to get it updated, and most people know to just email or call me for info.

InmyElement

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thanks Jeff...I sent you an e-mail about the new side force stabilizers...:winkingthumbsup"