• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Jet Nozzle Corrosion

Robert Sands

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Hi everyone,

I keep my boat moored most of the season and have never dealt with the buildup on the metal components of the jet nozzle and bucket. I'll post a few pics here.

Just wondering if there is a chemical soak for this and pressure wash off, or remove the unit and soda blast or something? Thoughts, thanks.

Attachments

wango tango

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I had the Same thing last season, I run my boat in fresh water and BRP puts zinc corrosion anodes on that do not work well for most fresh water. Under warranty I requested magnesium and were put on by dealer. Your aluminum jet is corroded before the corrosion anodes.
Usually sand/sandblast and repaint.

wango tango

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Also I was lucky enough that they replaced some jet parts so I didn't repaint.

Robert Sands

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Gotcha. So pull the unit, sand blast, repaint, magnesium anodes. Thanks.

BobJohnson

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
I have same issue. Have to find magnesium anodes that fit. If anyone finds any please advise

wango tango

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Contact BRP, or scarab warranty they will help you with replacements.
I have a friend that ordered magnesium rod on Amazon and made his own

wango tango

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
GET SCARAB AND BRP TO GET FRESH WATER ANODES, ENGINES HAVE 3 TO 5 year WARRANTY ON THEM. THEY NEED CORRECT FRESH WATER CORROSION PROTECTION.!!!!

Robert Sands

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Will do.

Another question. After the sandblast, do you think it would be ok to powder coat these parts instead of painting them? My only inference being that powder coating is a tougher option?

Robert Sands

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Will do.

Another question. After the sandblast, do you think it would be ok to powder coat these parts instead of painting them? My only inference being that powder coating is a tougher option?

I'm going to reply to my own post after a bit of research. A day ago I didn't know what a sacrificial anode even was. Basically, as long as the anode is working properly you shouldn't need to paint or powder coat. But if you do, apparently you have to leave sections where the anode would go unpainted so the anode would site up against the steel without paint or anything between it and the part it's protecting. Then change them out once they reduce past 50% of their size. If you slip your boat like me and there are ungrounded boats nearby on shore power, that could speed up how fast the anode deteriorates. Feel free to chime in if I'm incorrect.

On the 195 there should be anodes on the following parts:

Ride Shoe/Cooling Plate
Pump Housing
Reverse Gate Support
Steering Nozzle
Reverse Gate

I will do a better job trying to find these on my boat, but I see two right of the bat. They appear to the same size and type. I'm just wondering if anyone knows if all the anodes on the boats are the same size and shape, or do we buy kits?

BobJohnson

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length

Robert Sands

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
No it doesn't, I'm going to have to take it to the dealer and get them to service everything and ensure magnesium ones are installed. I feel like zinc is the standard and then it's up to us to know the difference and get the right ones installed.

wango tango

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
BRP rotax part number #0461805-00 is the replacement for fresh water anodes

wango tango

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
That is what they gave me!
I did not put on my drive, I bought magnesium rod on Amazon and made my own(they work great!!!)I do know for a fact that they are not zinc(they are half the weight), what exactly they are made of I don't know but I wanted pure magnesium so I made them. They told me that they are for fresh water and that's all they said.
Let me confirm I gave you the right number?

BobJohnson

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
That is what they gave me!
I did not put on my drive, I bought magnesium rod on Amazon and made my own(they work great!!!)I do know for a fact that they are not zinc(they are half the weight), what exactly they are made of I don't know but I wanted pure magnesium so I made them. They told me that they are for fresh water and that's all they said.
Let me confirm I gave you the right number?
think making own is way to go. I am not a big metal worker, but think cutting and drilling magnesium shouldn't be that difficult.

@wango tango did you buy this, or something else from amazon? This one is 1" dia, so that matches the size of the current anodes.

https://www.amazon.com/Ariston-Anode-Rod-Magnesium/dp/B0078RU3Y6/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1531152978&sr=8-20&keywords=magnesium+rod

upload_2018-7-9_11-32-10.png

wango tango

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
No it's not, checked my orders and the one I got is no longer available. There is a set of 5 pics. .70"×4" for around $20

Rik Mitchell

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have a new 195 purchased end of July and had it in a fresh water slip until 5th of October. I couldn't believe the corrosion on bucket, bracket and ride plate. The zinc anodes lost less than 5% so I purchased a 1" x 12" magnesium anode bar stock on line from roto metals $12.60 delivered. I'll cut my own. Nice to have a lathe! I would like to remove the ride plate and coat with Cerakote (ceramic gun finish) Can anyone tell me if the plate can be removed easily?