• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Jet Ski on AR192

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have a custom Yamaha Superjet and I think that I could fit it on the swim platform in the back. It would make for a nice looking ballast. It's 7ft long and 26.8" at it's widest. Has anyone tried this?

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
I've had 800 lbs of ballast on the swim deck. I think the superjet is under 400 lbs. If it will fit it won't be too much weight.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't have a stand up yet, but I've measured and it should fit. You might need a support on the lower part of the step to make it level with the upper part. Post pictures!

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Because of the way the side of the boat wraps around in the corners to the swim deck you may have issues fitting it even though the boats beam is 8’ at its widest surface (about midship). The swim deck is not 8’ wide since the sides of the hull taper inward towards the bow and stern leaving the midship around the windshield area as the widest part of the boat. You can see what I mean by this top view pic....

E281290D-4300-48CA-BF23-73F0181F3FB9.jpeg

For detailed dimensions of the 190/192 swim deck you can go to this thread as I took dimensions when designing the custom bag for that swim deck Custom SwimDeck Ballast Bag project. The swim deck depth varies and tapers from center to the outer sides so width/depth is not the same across that surface. The middle section is about 17” deep and the sides are several inches shorter. I think you’ll have issues there more than the length.

I presume you’re going to attempt to put the ski sideways across the swim deck? If it would fit I would HEAVILY pad the sides and surfaces above the swim deck area just to absorb accidentally hitting those areas trying to man handle the ski on the swim deck. That x2 thick SeaDek would probably work. I’d make some “skid” out of delrin and attach those using countersunk fasteners into the delrin to the lower swim deck. I’ve fantasized about fabricating something like that if I ever owned a stand up ski. IMO you’ll likely need to fabricate a custom rack that is detachable when you don’t want to tow the ski with the boat.

Last edited:

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
So here is my insane idea. Put 2 table pedestals in the rear deck. Get the 2" aluminum tubing that fits the pedestal and create brackets for 2"x4". Slide the rack into the receptacle, strap it down, winch the ski up.
Probably would work, but i'm not sure it's worth the hassle and these days I dont have much time. Anyone crazier then me?
upload_2018-12-4_13-14-13.png

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I’ve thought of that as well but I don’t think I’d trust the engine hatch area to take that kind of load with any chop over time. Then you also would probably have the back of the ski hanging really close to the pump or jet spray. Not to mention the safety aspect of having a ski behind you and crews heads in case you hit a massive roller or have to chop the throttle and the ski comes loose somehow lol. The ski+winch would likely exceed the weight rating of the tower as well. My AR tower is rated for like a few hundred pounds I think. There’s also the clean out hatch being blocked you’d have to deal with if you ever needed to clean out some debris you’d have to launch (and retrieve) the ski too. That would get old depending on where you boat and if you have debris often in your waters.

Im thinking more along the lines of a Z or scissor type lift mounted sideways on off the lower swim platform. Something kind of like this but of course scaled way down and made with bunks https://www.bestbuyautoequipment.com/auto-lift-6000lb-mid-rise-scissor-lift-p/AL-MR6K-48X.htm?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkvqvheyG3wIVQlgNCh1_3gU1EAQYCCABEgJeNPD_BwE. It would likely need to be custom made or DIY if you’re mechanically inclined. That way you could float the ski on and off the bunks and then hoist it up above the platform when you want to drive the boat.

Last edited:

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I was hoping to find someone that figured out the details so it's closer to a bolt-on modification. You bring up some good points and it sounds like you've thought a lot about this. The plan is to tow the ski to the hang out spot and then beach it somewhere. Maybe i'll keep it for days that someone is willing to chase the boat.

Dylan01

Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I have thought about this many times, but have never executed the idea. I built a few garage storage racks out of 4" PVC for my superjet and waveblaster back in the day. Might be easier than the 2x4 route.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Just know that whatever you build would need to be able to handle the pounding it would get from the boat, waves, etc. I think no matter which way you try it’s going to be full on custom affair and not a direct bolt in kind of modification. I’d love to see someone make one because I dream of the day I could buy a ski and use the boat in the same day without having a lake house!

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would not attempt this unless the water is super smooth and the distance is very short.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was hoping to find someone that figured out the details so it's closer to a bolt-on modification. You bring up some good points and it sounds like you've thought a lot about this. The plan is to tow the ski to the hang out spot and then beach it somewhere. Maybe i'll keep it for days that someone is willing to chase the boat.
Have you ever towed a stand up? They don't tow well at all because they are super nose heavy. They will submarine! You need to install a shutoff valve too. We gave up towing my friends and just have someone ride it.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Have you ever towed a stand up? They don't tow well at all because they are super nose heavy. They will submarine! You need to install a shutoff valve too. We gave up towing my friends and just have someone ride it.
"Tow" was a bad choice of words because I intend to put the ski on the boat. We have towed skis before and it's a nightmare. This Summer we had to tow a sunken jet ski for about 2 miles and it would occasionally hit the bottom.
My plan is to ask people if they want to volunteer to ride it to the spot. It's a nice ski so maybe it won't be too difficult.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I’d ride that!! Always wanted a stand up but I’m so bad out of shape lol. Just want to goof around and do spins, carves and wheelies.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I’d ride that!! Always wanted a stand up but I’m so bad out of shape lol. Just want to goof around and do spins, carves and wheelies.
Go get one and it will get you in shape lol. I've been riding them for 8 years and my skis were always set up for the surf. The most fun is doing those big inverted nose stabs.