• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Jetboat Mystery

cwoav8r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Punch a hole in the speaker with the screw driver perhaps? Or the drill bit... The other looks like the cone separated away from the frame?

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Punch a hole in the speaker with the screw driver perhaps? The other looks like the cone separated away from the frame?
OK, you win the prize!

This is one of the four (ironically named) Seaworthy OEM 6.5" coaxials I removed when I installed my Polk Audio db651 coaxials earlier this week.

Three of the four had a significant tear on the outer diameter of the very low end paper woofer driver cone (second photo shows this backlit by flashlight).

One of those three also had a tear in the woofer cone that looks exactly like a screwdriver tear...I did not do it...likely done at install by Yamaha but I have no way to know (this was the odd hook shape in first photo, backlit similarly).

As someone guessed above, there was a screw hole shown, but was on the speaker, not the boat (first photo, above the puncture wound).

Note surprisingly, the POLKS ARE FAR SUPERIOR IN EVERY WAY!

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Same POS Seaworthy speaker as in photos 1 & 2, you can see the outer diameter tear...looks like I framed it such that the puncture wound is not shown. Oops.

Note that I did not abuse these speakers in any way. They sounded so poor from day one that we barely used the stereo.

image.jpg

cwoav8r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Woo Hoo... what did I win? I quite enjoyed that, might have to start and ID this thread. I did have to do a little forensic work with the photos to figure it out though...

image2a.jpg
imagea.jpg

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You win respect and admiration from your fellow jetboaters.net enthusiasts, of course!

I thought about PSing the pix to make detective work tougher, but credit you for solving the mystery this way.

Mainly wanted to highlight the point that those OEM speakers were so shitty that nearly ANY aftermarket speakers would be better. Happy to see Yamaha got smarter on this lately.

Cheers.

cwoav8r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Damn... I thought I was going to get the speakers! :rolleyes:

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Damn... I thought I was going to get the speakers! :rolleyes:
One of the four Seaworthy speakers was not obviously damaged and, presumably, is still capable of delivering its normal performance in all its glory. I could drop ship it to you. :D

cwoav8r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nah, I'll pass... I gave mine to a friend that needed speakers for a used Tahoe that he bought and all the speakers in it were rotted away. Believe it or not... I think he still has them in there... and they sound like crap.