• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

JetBoaters.net Bimini Fling July 9th to 14th 2018

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
View attachment 69699
Got my antenna mounted and made some custom shrink tube wrapped aluminum clamps for it. Used small locking S biners to connect flags. The mount is a brand new version that littlery got sent to me the day it landed at the distributor. Much more compact and just as strong as the older ratchet style. I am told it will be available to purchase by the general public in about two weeks.

Flags are below the radiator in the antenna so should not afftect transmission at all. Full write up on my trip down the fixed vhf rabbit hole and what I learned coming in the future. If you are looking to add a fixed vhf antenna and have not yet you may want to hold off.
Wow, that looks awesome. Impatiently awaiting the write-up and details. I've been trying to figure out a decent flag and antenna solution.

Hector

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
View attachment 69699
Got my antenna mounted and made some custom shrink tube wrapped aluminum clamps for it. Used small locking S biners to connect flags. The mount is a brand new version that littlery got sent to me the day it landed at the distributor. Much more compact and just as strong as the older ratchet style. I am told it will be available to purchase by the general public in about two weeks.

Flags are below the radiator in the antenna so should not afftect transmission at all. Full write up on my trip down the fixed vhf rabbit hole and what I learned coming in the future. If you are looking to add a fixed vhf antenna and have not yet you may want to hold off.
Looks awesome! I have been looking for what you did exactly!
I’ll be staying posted to this thread, great job @Mainah

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
View attachment 69699

Man I have been looking at doing this same type set up with the ratchet sytle I will wait and see what this is but after seeing this it looks better then I thought it would you got any pics of the inside I was wondering how bad the bolts would look in there?

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Man I have been looking at doing this same type set up with the ratchet sytle I will wait and see what this is but after seeing this it looks better then I thought it would you got any pics of the inside I was wondering how bad the bolts would look in there?
That cross-brace is 1” solid aluminum. Drilled and tapped 1/4 -20 threads. .80 inches deep with the drill bit then tapped. Good drill bits and taps make a difference. This is one of those times you certainly don’t want Harbor Freight tools. Buy a matched 1/4-20 drill and tap set of a good brand online if needed.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That cross-brace is 1” solid aluminum. Drilled and tapped 1/4 -20 threads. .80 inches deep with the drill bit then tapped. Good drill bits and taps make a difference. This is one of those times you certainly don’t want Harbor Freight tools. Buy a matched 1/4-20 drill and tap set of a good brand online if needed.
I never thought of that piece being solid great info. I have a descent tap set and drill bits so I will explore that further but love the idea now.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I never thought of that piece being solid great info. I have a descent tap set and drill bits so I will explore that further but love the idea now.
I thought the same as you then I saw a photo in one @gmtech16450yz threads asked so I asked about it. He told me solid aluminum and said he had gone with the 1/4 -20. I could lift the tower by that mount even with just 3 bolts. Very secure. I am waiting on a piece of 1/16 rubber sheet as I only have painters tape behind it now. Not sure if needed but sure won’t chip/flake the powder coat or cause squeaking that way.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I thought the same as you then I saw a photo in one @gmtech16450yz threads asked so I asked about it. He told me solid aluminum and said he had gone with the 1/4 -20. I could lift the tower by that mount even with just 3 bolts. Very secure. I am waiting on a piece of 1/16 rubber sheet as I only have painters tape behind it now. Not sure if needed but sure won’t chip/flake the powder coat or cause squeaking that way.
I guess you just drilliled a hole in the front bar of the tower to run the cable dow

BBottoms

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Reserved unit 4b
Your in 1b for July 9th-14th? So am I :nailbiting:
I messaged you separately about this before I went back and looked at your previous posts. I'm in 1B via an AirBNB rental. Hopefully you're supposed to be in 4b otherwise we need to start figuring out who gets the bedroom and who gets the sleeper sofa, haha.

D3nN1s

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Ha, yeah got your message, messaged you back, we will get it figured out hopefully, should I bring extra hammocks incase? lol

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I guess you just drilliled a hole in the front bar of the tower to run the cable dow
I used to back bar which has some sort of obstruction in it. Mananged to get creative with a fish tape and not making the entry hole larger.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Your in 1b for July 9th-14th? So am I :nailbiting:
I messaged you separately about this before I went back and looked at your previous posts. I'm in 1B via an AirBNB rental. Hopefully you're supposed to be in 4b otherwise we need to start figuring out who gets the bedroom and who gets the sleeper sofa, haha.
The records from Bimini Sands have the Shepard family in 1B for the July dates.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The records from Bimini Sands have the Shepard family in 1B for the July dates.
@BBottoms and @D3nN1s It seems that owner doesn't keep up with the calendars well as she has the unit posted on multiple sites on Air BNB in shows booked for those dates but on Homeaway it shows those dates still open. I'm guessing one of you will get an email from the owner or Bimini sands saying that the unit has been booked. I would probably be proactive on this though and go ahead and confirm my reservation again and explain why you are doing so. Last thing you want is one of you to get that email last second or worse show up in Bimini and find out there is an issue that hasn't been resolved. Unfortunately I think owner reservations take priority and if you both really have it booked I betting who ever booked through the Sands is going to get bumped but not 100% sure.

BBottoms

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We're both looking into it and will get it resolved. Does this count as the first drama of the 2018 trip? o_O

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We're both looking into it and will get it resolved. Does this count as the first drama of the 2018 trip? o_O
Shockingly the current Bimini Sands reservation staff causes much less drama than has occurred in previous years .

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sure it does!!!

FYI:
I have booked 7G however as time progresses my wife is less and less likely to make the crossing; hence, I will have to cancel. If things do not work out let me know and I can cancel so you can take over.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sure it does!!!

FYI:
I have booked 7G however as time progresses my wife is less and less likely to make the crossing; hence, I will have to cancel. If things do not work out let me know and I can cancel so you can take over.
It's funny I was going to say the first drama was @Betik deciding which trip he was going on till he decided the drama was to much and decided to do both.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
This trip is a drama-free zone!
I am driving over 1300 miles with kids ages 8, 6, and 4, so don't start thinking you have drama! By the time I cross to Bimini I'll probably be ready to throw them in anyways!
I'm still concerned with the DURATION of the crossing if it's bad, not so much just if it's bad. I mean, we can all handle big water for like 30 minutes, but a few hours? sheesh! I should start saying my prayers now!

BTW, what was the most accurate wave report we found?
If I recall one of the years (2015?) something was broke and not reporting correctly?
I would love to throw an app on my phone or something so I can monitor it and be used to what it is saying. Also, so I can see if it makes sense to advance plans a day or not while traveling down.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This trip is a drama-free zone!
I am driving over 1300 miles with kids ages 8, 6, and 4, so don't start thinking you have drama! By the time I cross to Bimini I'll probably be ready to throw them in anyways!
I'm still concerned with the DURATION of the crossing if it's bad, not so much just if it's bad. I mean, we can all handle big water for like 30 minutes, but a few hours? sheesh! I should start saying my prayers now!

BTW, what was the most accurate wave report we found?
If I recall one of the years (2015?) something was broke and not reporting correctly?
I would love to throw an app on my phone or something so I can monitor it and be used to what it is saying. Also, so I can see if it makes sense to advance plans a day or not while traveling down.
Sail flow is good. The biggest thing to watch is the wind so if it's calling 2ft at 6 seconds with 5-10 mph winds it probably close to accurate if it's calling for 2ft at 6 seconds and the winds are 15 mph it probably not that both years 15 and 17 had similar forecasts that didn't exactly add up they had winds of 10-15 mph with good wave forecasts which doesn't make much sense based on the wind forecast. Best advice I can give is if your already concerned about your crew handling the conditions you need to go ahead and make plans to get them across another way as if it's a rough it will likely ruin your whole vacations there will be anxiety on there part the whole week about the return.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Sail flow is good. The biggest thing to watch is the wind so if it's calling 2ft at 6 seconds with 5-10 mph winds it probably close to accurate if it's calling for 2ft at 6 seconds and the winds are 15 mph it probably not that both years 15 and 17 had similar forecasts that didn't exactly add up they had winds of 10-15 mph with good wave forecasts which doesn't make much sense based on the wind forecast. Best advice I can give is if your already concerned about your crew handling the conditions you need to go ahead and make plans to get them across another way as if it's a rough it will likely ruin your whole vacations there will be anxiety on there part the whole week about the return.
My crew will probably be in the front of the boat waiting for us to get air! They usually LOVE the big waves to the point where I gotta pull them back for safety! It's ME that will probably get annoyed with it due to the duration! I mean, cmon, that's gotta be stressful!
Sure, I"ve seen 6' waves before, but they were rollers, NOT chop! I've seen chop that came over the sides of my boat and had to head directly into it in order to not get swamped, and that is on a very small lake!
Just because you have seen it, doesn't mean you're ready to deal with it for 2-3 hours! I guess there is only one choice once out there... go ahead, or go back!

I will check out Sail Flow.
Lake Michigan has people that have made apps strictly for the south shore and stuff which is good because if the wind is out of the south at 15-20 mph, you can probably be fine! But 5 mph out of the north... not so much!
Just gotta know the water and how it works, so I like watching how the weather works down there.