• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

JetBoaters.net Bimini Fling July 9th to 14th 2018

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree with most on here Saturday and or Sunday look to be the day. Saturday does pose the biggest challenge as it is likely lodging and marina slips will be extremely limited availability at least that's what we found when we tried to move to Saturday so Sunday maybe the more viable option. I know what the forecast says for Tuesday but with the wind blowing hard for a few days I really don't know that I believe that 8 second period they are forcasting. I would def be making arrangements to move to Sunday at least by now if it was me but I'm not going on this trip so please only make the decisions based on whats best for your crew as they are ultimately your responsibility.

ThatJeepGirl

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’d love for @ThatJeepGirl to go again in our group! I’ll buy her a beer and want to hear about the great places to see and visit in the Keys.:winkingthumbsup" We definitely want to do a week vacation in the Keys soon!
Haha, if I go I’ll be in the air this time. I’ve done “2 foot seas” in 2017 and “1.4 foot seas” in a 19’ boat...then there was this years crossing which was GLORIOUS! Even with that, and with my LOVE of crossing (because I ALWAYS have the option of flying over, but I choose to cross), I was STILL nervous to get on that boat coming back to Florida this year. Of course, the crossing back wasn’t bad outside of the 68 pounds of dead weight from a sleeping child but I do attribute that to the trim tabs that we have not had in the past. I don’t think those nerves will ever go away, but technically I’ve always operated under the idea that when they do go away accidents can happen. Nerves mean caution and that’s exactly what is needed for this crossing. I’ve heard plenty of people say they aren’t nervous at all, or their lake back home gets pretty rough, and I’ve watched them not be able to handle it; causing a hinderance to the rest of their group, leaving with a CLEARLY unprepped boat (already broken Bimini tops should PROBABLY remain closed in rough seas), attempting to take underperforming vessels across only to lose them to the seas, running out of gas, injuries (both minor and serious) to crew, being lost at sea and having to send their families with other boats, etc. This trip is BEYOND doable, but people who say they aren’t concerned make me very nervous.

All that being said, if we had not gone in June, and July was it, we would most likely still make the crossing IF we knew the weather would be good when we got there. I don’t think I’d take that pounding to not be able to enjoy the benefits of Bimini Once we get there. Oh...we also would NOT take my son with the current crossing forecast. Not because of fear that there would be an issue but more because I don’t feel he could handle it...which might really be more my fear than his, but the stress wouldn’t be worth it for me.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@robert843, the forecast is constantly changing however SailFlow, Windy and Windfinder all show much longer periods for Tuesday than the days before.

Two out of the three show Sunday to have 2’ seas, tight spacing and high winds.

Encouraging first time crossers to venture out into 2015 or 2017 style water alone could have a very bad outcome.

Attachments

Last edited:

Ryuc14911

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I’ve brought the possible launch date to my group. I personally would choose a Saturday departure or sunday even as they seem to be a lot better. Will get more time over there and avoid a rough crossing.

newbote

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
All - I just canceled as I had to make other plans. Marci was helpful as I was in one of the developer owned condos. She is refunding my recent payment to my CC today but has to send a check for my deposit. She was very helpful and said she was hoping to hear back today on finding new spots for people.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I’ve brought the possible launch date to my group. I personally would choose a Saturday departure or sunday even as they seem to be a lot better. Will get more time over there and avoid a rough crossing.
Early Saturday looks similar to my group’s 2016 crossing. Unless SailFlow is correct, which seems unlikely, Sunday is not an optimal crossing day.

I doubt there is condo availability on Saturday but have already asked.

Water Girl

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I’ll be honest, with the work involved getting this trip together, leaving on Tuesday isn’t worth being there for really 3 full days then coming back. I also do not want to cross in dangerous conditions either.
Weather models are always so inaccurate so do I take the Sunday chance? Does anyone else want to take chance?

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
When I was looking into additional nights Marci made a statement that they get a fair amount of people that come over for just Friday and Saturday and leave Sunday. Hopefully you're rooms will be available Sunday. The reservation site was pretty accurate in June but Marci can certainly verify. If the forecast holds (sailflow) with the low winds projected Saturday and not picking up until Sunday afternoon, I'd jump all over a early Sunday departure. It looks like very typical stream conditions and it gives you an extra day in Bimini vs. losing days. I really question 8/9 second periods when the winds are sustained in the teens for well over a 24hrs. 8/9 second periods you'd be fine with 3 or 4 foot seas.

http://biminisandsreservations.com/vacation-rentals/

Ryuc14911

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
@bronze_10 We are planning on that but i think we’re the only ones that can. All i need is shore power.
you are not lol. Another member and I are capable as well. I have a generator so no shore power needed. Although it is nice to not hear the generator.

Last edited:

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@robert843, the forecast is constantly changing however SailFlow, Windy and Windfinder all show much longer periods for Tuesday than the days before.

Two out of the three show Sunday to have 2’ seas, tight spacing and high winds.

Encouraging first time crossers to venture out into 2015 or 2017 style water alone could have a very bad outcome.
I have seen no forecast that would make me think Sunday will be like 2015 or 2017 yet but things do change. It typically takes a little time for seas to build based on the Saturday forecast I see no reason Sunday would be impassable at this time. I would expect a similar crossing to what you guys got it in 2016 or to what our Abaco crossing was last year which was not terrible it was 25-30 mph crossing that was a little bumpy but no unbearable at those speeds. Now if the forecast changes to 10+ mph wind consistently most of Saturday as well I will change my tune but right now it seems that Saturday should be a calm day helping early Sunday to be moderate conditions just building as the day continues.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
IMG_5282.jpg don't know what to say about this.
Sent by my friend at wgn

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
View attachment 78210 don't know what to say about this.
Sent by my friend at wgn
For sure something to watch will have little effect on a Sunday crossing. Most of the forecast models I have seen expect this to break up once it hit the lesser Antilles right now. The nice thing about tropical systems like this is they really are not going to surprise you much you should have a few days notice if it's going to be an issue.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
If something is brewing out there it could be why the forcast wave direction and wind direction seem to be changing 90 degree between days

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Hector

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I cancelled as well. Marci also said I would get a full refund for my deposit in the mail.
I cancelled more because of an inner seal leaking and not being able to fix in time for the trip but maybe it was a blessing.
I’ll be watching this thread from Jamaica!

Good luck on the crossing.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just got off the phone with Bimini Sands Rentals Limited.

Despite my and BSML's best efforts Peter Maury and Bimini Sands Marina Limited will not budge on cancelling twelve family's fully paid reservations.

I expect the conditions at Bimini Sands to be similar to what was found by the June group with perhaps greater interference from the Bimini Sands Marina Limited staff.

If we can believe the Sailflow forecast the water around Bimini appears to be decent for our trip however nothing like what the June group had. Other forecasts suggest 2 footers in Bimini. I suspect the difference may be the island's shelter working into the Sailflow forecast which may mean that our areas to enjoy are limited.

After the removal of 19 units from the rental pool. There are not enough condos at Bimini Sands for all of us.

BSML is offering full and fast refunds to the first 12 units to cancel. Credit card refunds typically take 3+ days.

Cancelled condos will be allocated to those without condos in the order in which the reservations were made.

If there are sufficient cancellations everyone will stay at Bimini Sands.

If not we we are looking into similar accommodations at Big Game Club whose reservations are handled by the same staff. Hopefully everyone can stay at Bimini Sands. If any stay at Big Game Club you may consider leaving your boat in the Bimini Sands marina.

Saturday has the best crossing forecast of Saturday to Tuesday. Tuesday has the second best.

There are three 2 bed loft units available for Saturday and Sunday night. I believe that is all of the current availability for Saturday. Slips are also available for Saturday.

My family is currently planning to arrive at Bahia Mar on Sunday or Monday with plans to depart for Bimini on Tuesday.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Talking to @Berrie he is looking to cross on Saturday. I suggest that anyone who wants to cross on Saturday follow him over. The tides will impact the launch of his 30 footer. So it may be early or late on Saturday.

@Mainah, I know that you are interested in Saturday.

As I posted above there are three 2 bed loft marina view units that are available for Saturday and Sunday night after which you would have to move to your previously allocated condos.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks for all of your efforts @Bruce. Part of this trip that I think is appealing for many is meeting new folks who share the love of boating which is certainly true for us. I don't wish to cause a rift between those going. For my family a Saturday crossing departing around noon is the best option given the current forecast and Saturday being rather accurate only being 48 hours out. Folks may need to be spread out between Bimini Sands, Resorts World and Big game club but my current focus is looking to know that there is someone willing to organize and lead a group over on Saturday with the lodging and docking something that can be figured out by each person willing to join a Saturday crossing. My personal preference since extending the time in Bimini will be to stay at resorts world Saturday and Sunday night.

@Berrie @rsrlegends @Dochapel I am in for a Saturday crossing but don't want to take a leadership role on the crossing with this being my first time crossing but can assist with coordination of meeting up for the crossing. Who else is in for Saturday playing cards currently in hand?

Again not trying to cause a rift or not be part of the group but rather trying to find something that works for us and salvage my families vacation. If not enough are willing to cancel perhaps for those with extra space we can swap off accommodating others to make the best of it for everybody.