• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

JetBoaters.net Bimini Fling July 9th to 14th 2018

BBottoms

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As much as I hate to say it, we have decided to cancel too. There's just too much up in the air at the moment. We can't reliably make it down for a Saturday crossing and we unfortunately aren't able to add days on the end of the trip to make a Tuesday crossing worth the effort. On top of that the wave conditions still seem up in the air for Bimini and we have little desire to be stuck in the marina to explore on land, even if that risk is low. However, we're all in for next year and trying again! We'll now be spending the week in the Clearwater/St. Pete area with the boat instead. Already managed to find a nice little VRBO with a dock on the inter-coastal!

My Bimini Sands reservation was made through AirBNB for unit 1B, which is a beachfront 1 bedroom with no loft. I have cancelled that reservation so it should become available back on AirBNB or through the rental pool once the owner notifies Bimini Sands. The unit DOES appear to be available 7/8 thru 7/15 for anyone needing to add Sunday on the beginning or wanting to add days on the end to account for a Tuesday crossing.

Hopefully this helps out someone who was booted! I've let the owner know that it'll likely still get booked, despite my cancellation.

Hope everyone has a safe crossing and a great time. I'm going to do my best to ignore this thread (yeah right) so I don't see how big of a mistake I've made!

ThatJeepGirl

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We'll now be spending the week in the Clearwater/St. Pete area with the boat instead. Already managed to find a nice little VRBO with a dock on the inter-coastal!
Lots of GREAT things in that area. Lots of beautiful sandbars with gorgeous waters. Lately there have been whale sharks spotted about 20 miles out. With this side being relatively flat, you might want to check that out. We are just north of here and it’s currently scallop season :)

Berrie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Monterey
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
For those of you who are looking at Saturday, here is what limited things I can offer.
I crossed from WPB to West End and on to Treasure Cay last summer in so-so weather and ran into a summer storm, so even though this is my first visit to Bimini, it is not my first crossing.
I have a 30' cabin cruiser, with fixed VHF, handheld VHF, chart plotter, 160 gallon tank, and I will try to get my XM Weather activated. I also have an EPIRB, TowBoat US Gold, and a Spot for which I will post a link prior to departure.
At this moment I am unsure what time we would be targeting. Most of it depends on how fast we can get there, splashed, and parked etc. At this moment I envision a departure sometime between 9am and 12pm, but that is subject to change. We will most likely attempt to clear customs and immigration at Big Game.

I do NOT have the same contacts and connections etc that Bruce has, so I can't help much with accommodations and such. Please make sure you have this arranged prior to departure, or be ready to improvise once we get there.

Last edited:

Valerie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
FWIW
Maybe if people posted their repair bills from the 2017 crossing that would help people decide.
From a jetskis point of view, those boats took one hellova beating, I thought for sure they might bust apart at any minute.
In rough seas don't forget to add some recovery time for your body.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Where's the popcorn smiley face when you need it......

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Berrie we are in. I will give it a few hours to collect names in this thread and then start a pm for those going on Saturday. We have fixed and handheld vhf with dsc. Using mobile devices with with Navionics. Carrying 14 gallons of extra fuel, Trim tabs and a budget that allows for pivoting. Some nearshore rough water experience. Good navigational skills. Also very mechanically and electrically inclined.

Boat US gold should it be needed.

D3nN1s

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
We are also in for a Saturday crossing, we are starting our drive tonight

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Having no dog in this fight. I have been reading all the go or no go post going on today. One thing to keep in mind (lesson learned after 2017). There is a saying we use in the Army "do what your rank can afford". Crossing to Bimini "do what your boat and crew can afford". We got the shit beat out of us crossing. Thankfuly we did not break the boat up to much. Some had major problems due to the conditions. Ask your self is it really worth putting your $50,000, $60,000 or more boat at risk. Even more so putting your family at risk.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I hear Tampa/Tarpon Springs is a great place to be this weekend since its my birthday lol
Tarpon springs is awesome area lived down there for one summer growing up was great.

How is the water in February?

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Tarpon springs is awesome area lived down there for one summer growing up was great.

How is the water in February?
Little chilly. But as long as you back up far enough to the sand bar step off in knee deep water and put your chairs and drinks on the beach