• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

JetBoaters.net Bimini Fling June 19 to 25 2016

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you went to Bimini this year AND are pregnant or in your reproductive years (male or female), you may want to get tested for Zika. The CDC is slowly letting knowledge out about how widespread the virus really is.
Scott are you aware of any confirmed cases of Zika in the Bahamas?

As of July 29th the Bahamas was believed to be Zika free https://globenewswire.com/news-release/2016/07/29/860221/10164336/en/No-Cases-of-Zika-In-The-Bahamas.html

Fortunately mosquitos were rare this year in Bimini. @Rana and I can not remember any bites.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Hey guys, just doing the math for our hopefull trip!
The rates at bimini, lets say 230 a night, but then there is a $60 cleaning fee? That one time or do they do a per day cleaning?
Also, i see on the form 15% resort tax but online it shows 22.5%. Is this different from what it was or is something incorrect?
So basically i am wondering if a room of 230 a night bumps to well over 300 a night because thats a big difference.

Second, what is the MOST gas i will most likely use out there, either gallons or total cost.

I am figuring a 1300 mile commute but calculating it at 1500 to be safe. At 10mpg which we get better than that unless we put in e85. And at 2.25 a gallon i figure we need about $700 for just the gas on the commute.
Then if i figure $200 with tax the bahia mar that should be fine.
Then $300 a night in bimini x 4 nights or 5 nights? Well, if 5 then $1500 there.
Food? Depends on how much i bring vs buy there i am sure but also depends on kids coming this round or not but hopefully under $150 a day x 6 days so round to $1000.

So, i see $3400 for the trip. We talked about coming back a day early and visiting the everglades and possibly the keys if we bring the kids while we are down there.
Am i in the ballpark?
Thinking of keeping a seperate account for it so we can see it there aside. If i do that i may put like $3k in it and add as able or something.

ACrews

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hey guys, just doing the math for our hopefull trip!
The rates at bimini, lets say 230 a night, but then there is a $60 cleaning fee? That one time or do they do a per day cleaning?
Also, i see on the form 15% resort tax but online it shows 22.5%. Is this different from what it was or is something incorrect?
So basically i am wondering if a room of 230 a night bumps to well over 300 a night because thats a big difference.

Second, what is the MOST gas i will most likely use out there, either gallons or total cost.

I am figuring a 1300 mile commute but calculating it at 1500 to be safe. At 10mpg which we get better than that unless we put in e85. And at 2.25 a gallon i figure we need about $700 for just the gas on the commute.
Then $300 a night in bimini x 4 nights or 5 nights? Well, if 5 then $1500 there.
Food? Depends on how much i bring vs buy there i am sure but also depends on kids coming this round or not but hopefully under $150 a day x 6 days so round to $1000.

So, i see $3400 for the trip. We talked about coming back a day early and visiting the everglades and possibly the keys if we bring the kids while we are down there.
Am i in the ballpark?
Thinking of keeping a seperate account for it so we can see it there aside. If i do that i may put like $3k in it and add as able or something.
@Speedling I believe your math looks close. I'd plan "worse case" in the event gas prices go up.
The cleaning fee was only a one time fee, but they have a resort tax & VAT tax that will be added to the rate every night.

DieselCamel

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
World Cat
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Total expenses came out to around 1k per person 4 adults. Driving 1600ish round trip. We didn't eat out that year.

tim h

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Trophy
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
From Indiana I would figure 5000 to 5500.
I trailered from Wisconsin before I moved to the Sunshine state.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
From Indiana I would figure 5000 to 5500.
I trailered from Wisconsin before I moved to the Sunshine state.
Well, i figured worst case 5 grand but 3400 to 5k is a big difference and where would that cost be? If i bring kids, well, that's a whole new ballgame.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You do not have any food or hotels for the tow there and back. In my budget I have four hotel stays and six days of on the road food for our similar distance tow. +$500

Fuel may still be $2.25 a gallon next summer but who knows. I budget $1,000 in fuel for my 2,500 mile round trip. This year the fuel came in way under but four new tires along be way more then made up for it. +$300

Florida tolls +$100

Truck and trailer parking in Fort Lauderdale +$80

Bahama's Customs Fee +$150

Boat fuel before departure / refill when you get back. I try to tow the boat with a low tank and fill up in Fort Lauderdale. +$100.

Boat fuel in Bimini @ $6 a gallon +$600

Then you have souvineers, t-shirts, eating out in Bimini and don't forget the rum!

I try to pad my budget so that surprises like the need for four new tires do not become and issue. If you spend less than you allocated for the trip that works out great. Spending more than you had planned can be an issue.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If i bring kids, well, that's a whole new ballgame.
You would regret not bringing them. It is a great experience for the whole family.

tim h

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Trophy
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I have taken this trip a few times... always a different scenario...
1. just my family, 4 people
2. split the trip with another family, 9 people total
3. split among 3 couples , 6 people

The cost per person always varied between 750 and 1150. Lots of variables !

It has always been worth it.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I think you all just drink 1600 bucks of rum!
414ff595-fb1e-4cb3-9ab3-1cce33fb36ea.jpg

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just plan to bring my AMEX card (no spending limit) and worry about it later.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just plan to bring my AMEX card (no spending limit) and worry about it later.
Does anywhere other than Bimini Sands take Amex?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Aha! The black card. The Centurion.
@MrMoose - you did not strike me as a Russian oligarch, but...

Last edited:

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I believe @riggo32 was unaware that was for the June 2016 trip. I will be certain to let him know when we have a date for 2017. I am starting that discussion with Bimini Sands this week.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey guys, the Bimini Toy Drive is running short on toys this year. It is too late to ship anything so they are requesting PayPal contributions to toys that will be purchased locally. The Vander Werf's are paying for the fuel, maintenance and customs and immigration fees to deliver these toys to Bimini. I imagine those costs are in the low thousands on their own. I chipped in $100. Lets help them if we can.

The distribution boxes are being picked up and the toys are inventoried. They are ready to head to the boat! We have a big shopping trip planned for tomorrow since we did not meet our goal of 500 toys. We will need to purchase about 250 toys. At $5-10 per kid - that’s $1250-2500. We’ve been overwhelmed with the generosity of monetary donations - we have received an astounding $1375.00! Can we make it to $2000? This makes an average of 8.00 per child.

Monetary donations are tax deductible - use the Friends and Family option on PayPal and send to BiminiToyDrive@gmail.com

The boat leaves Friday! Distribution is Saturday. We'll be bringing the drone and a few extra helpers for photos. Can't wait to share them with you all!