• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

JetBoatPilot Lateral Thruster and Thrust Vector Reviews

Expedition_Recreation

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Hey guys!

It has been a while since we poked our head in the forum but we have been using our 2018 Yamaha 242X for about a year with our Thrust Vectors and Lateral Thrusters involved and we decided to do a couple of reviews about our experience. I spent a lot of time reading up on the forum before we made the purchase but I feel like the information could still prove useful for some of you.

Lateral Thruster Review:
https://www.expeditionrecreation.com/gear/jetboatpilot-lateral-thrusters

Thrust Vector XV Review:
https://www.expeditionrecreation.com/gear/jetboatpilot-thrust-vector-xv

Hope this helps!

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Nice reviews (and website).

Shady28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Same boat and setup and very happy as well.

Expedition_Recreation

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks for the feedback guys! Glad you like it!

Shady28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks for the feedback guys! Glad you like it!
One thing I did note was that we have the same boat, but I was advised by JBP and Will to only order the X and not the XV. My order was May of this year.

Expedition_Recreation

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
One thing I did note was that we have the same boat, but I was advised by JBP and Will to only order the X and not the XV. My order was May of this year.
You have a 2018 as well? When we purchased the XV's the "X" was not an option. It is my understanding that the newer "X" model has been adjusted to accommodate the 2019 and 2020 boats among a couple of other minor adjustments. If you have a 2018 like us, the XV will work however the X has more color options and the spring is intended to be a bit stiffer which should slightly improve performance.

There may be more benefits as well but that is all that I am currently aware of.

I do see this on their site though for the TV X

"Thrust Vector X Fits Surf Pointe Equipped Boats Unlike Previous TV Models "

Not sure how this impacts us, but we called before purchasing the XV and were told that they would work perfectly with the surf pointe. Maybe we can get some clarification on this?

Shady28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
That's make sense and clearly you did your research. Have you picked up a booster yet? Couldn't be happier with the wave with the addition of 300 lbs of steel with a dry bag on the swim platform.

Expedition_Recreation

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
That's make sense and clearly you did your research. Have you picked up a booster yet? Couldn't be happier with the wave with the addition of 300 lbs of steel with a dry bag on the swim platform.
We have not picked up a booster yet but we are 100% planning on it. Was it night and day difference? We have been very unimpressed with the "push" from factory specs.

Shady28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'm 6'3", 180 and can go ropeless for 2-5 minutes and through turns depending on how much fun I decide to have carving. Note that I've only been at this for a month or two (aka noob) and this wave wasn't dialed in with the full steel weight we now use on the swim platform.

Expedition_Recreation

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Very nice! Looks like a solid push behind the boat. I will definitely look into ordering a wake booster. We usually just use my brother's boat for surfing but id love to get ours dialed in so that it is more viable. What % do you set the ballast bags to?

Shady28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Setup:
Regular
100% port ballast +100lb steel
50% ski locker
20% starboard ballast
Wet storage port +100lb steel
Swim platform port (drybag) +300lb steel

Wife drives and 3 small kids roaming around the boat

Shady28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I find I would drive myself crazy with the margin's that I pay on items now days, plastic, metal or even shredded cheese (a recent HRB article I read cited that we pay on average ~$100 a hr premium for shredded cheese vs. block, but the quantity and price point is so low from bag to bag we don't even realize it).

I look at it as a very small cost on-top of a +$70k boat for improved steering. Someone else has done all the R&D work, all the manufacturing work, created chimp simple instructions (I actually put them on while my boat was on the water on our lift). Like shredded cheese, I'm ok paying for convenience for a product that meets my needs whether it's improved steering or quick nachos between downs on a Sunday afternoon 🏈

*We also hit an umarked glacier/granite/sharp rock the week before last and ripped the gel coat in 4-5 places on the center hull. Towards the stern of the boat it began veering off the rock as shown by a long scratch in the hull directly towards the port engine. The boat slowly bounce down on that rock every 6-12 inches at 5mph and easily could have bounced down and caught a more permanent fin attached to the engine and possibly done additional damage. In hindsight I was really happy to not have to worry about that on top of the hull repair we have to deal with.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I find I would drive myself crazy with the margin's that I pay on items now days, plastic, metal or even shredded cheese (a recent HRB article I read cited that we pay on average ~$100 a hr premium for shredded cheese vs. block, but the quantity and price point is so low from bag to bag we don't even realize it).

I look at it as a very small cost on-top of a +$70k boat for improved steering. Someone else has done all the R&D work, all the manufacturing work, created chimp simple instructions (I actually put them on while my boat was on the water on our lift). Like shredded cheese, I'm ok paying for convenience for a product that meets my needs whether it's improved steering or quick nachos between downs on a Sunday afternoon 🏈

*We also hit an umarked glacier/granite/sharp rock the week before last and ripped the gel coat in 4-5 places on the center hull. Towards the stern of the boat it began veering off the rock as shown by a long scratch in the hull directly towards the port engine. The boat slowly bounce down on that rock every 6-12 inches at 5mph and easily could have bounced down and caught a more permanent fin attached to the engine and possibly done additional damage. In hindsight I was really happy to not have to worry about that on top of the hull repair we have to deal with.
I've been thinking of installing on the lift but I'm scared I'll drop stuff into the water! Are you bow or stern in>?

Shady28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I've been thinking of installing on the lift but I'm scared I'll drop stuff into the water! Are you bow or stern in>?
We're bow in, but checked my bunks and for this procedure walked the boat in stern first. I then put a Lily Pad under the boat and lift frame, wet towels around all the edges of the Lily Pad (wet so they wouldn't fly away) and only brought out the install parts I was working on at that moment as an additional step of prevention. I also kept all tools or parts in zip lock bags or containers as yet another precaution.

I was solo at the cabin so I couldn't trailer it and also it seems like a lot of work for something I could just walk down the yard to do if I was careful. Mind you I was a bit nervous too.

I did both lateral thrusters and X thrusters at the same time with no issues. Also had on hand goggles and a flash light in case I did screw up :) Trust me there are a few tools at the bottom of my lake :)

Expedition_Recreation

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I was surprised to see that the fins are made of plastic, especially considering the price.
Lol! I am right there with ya. I much prefer metal components on nearly anything I buy and this was certainly a shocker considering the price.

I am known to be quite a cheap-o though so it is to be expected. I agree with Shady though, considering the price of the boat paid, it needed the help and honestly, these are things Yamaha should be doing from the factory anyway. Particularly the Lateral Thrusters.

I haven't taken the time to consider the costs of block cheese vs shredded cheese but I have heard the argument before and we do generally buy block cheese lol.

Shady28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I did inspect the Thrust Vector over the weekend when we pulled the boat for the season and there is a strike mark on the bottom of the fin. A quick file down and she's good as new. Again, happy it was able to move out of the way. Sadly I can't say the same for my keel. Fiberglass in good shape, gel coat decimated.

Shady28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Here she is up on the racks at the shop. Interesting contraption they use to hoist it up for work.

Full 12' gator guard going on once they re-gel the four 8 inch gouges from the rock.

106254 106255106256

Dave Kreklow

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey guys!

It has been a while since we poked our head in the forum but we have been using our 2018 Yamaha 242X for about a year with our Thrust Vectors and Lateral Thrusters involved and we decided to do a couple of reviews about our experience. I spent a lot of time reading up on the forum before we made the purchase but I feel like the information could still prove useful for some of you.

Lateral Thruster Review:
JetBoatPilot’s Lateral Thrusters: An Unfortunate Necessity — Expedition Recreation

Thrust Vector XV Review:
Product Review: JetBoatPilot's Thrust Vector XV - Steering You Straight. — Expedition Recreation

Hope this helps!

View attachment 105345
Thanks for the review on the Lateral Thrusters as i am considering them. Ques - are you able to gain any bebefits moving forward docking or onto a trailer as you mentioned? I have currents and wind pulling into my dock and wondering fo you put one engine in reverse and one in drive etc. Curious to your experience docking with these if and how they help.