• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

JL Audio Loud OVERKILL stereo on a 2015 AR240?

RegezM3

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi everyone! Just got a 2015 AR240 and I'm looking to put an overkill stereo system in as we have a rowdy group. These are my thoughts.... JL MX650 slampack (comes with 4 speakers and 10" sub, amp, wiring. .. everything). And also the JL Mx770 wake tower slampack comes with amp, etc. I'd also like to add two more mx650 speakers on the back swim deck like the 242s have (which I could potentially wire into the first slampack amp) and then add another 10" sub and I would provide my own amp for that. Or instead of buying two extra speakers and another sub i could buy 2 interior slampacks. If that were the case after installing both interior slampacks I would then have two extra speakers to mount somewhere. Perhaps behind the back rests on the swim deck as there is room back there? Any thoughts or changes / mods / speaker location ideas? I have looked around a bit on the forum here and I think this is what we need. I thank you in advance!

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am uncertain if you can mount speakers behind the swim deck seat backs on the 2015 242. The storage in that area may interfere.

I would start with the tower speakers then decide where you would like to add more.

Have you thought about how many batteries that you will want?

RegezM3

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've seen people here on the forums put 6x9 speakers back there succesfully so I don't see it being a problem. The bass is able to travel through nicely but some highs will be lost of course. I haven't even seen the boat in person yet as we pick it up this weekend. It has two batteries already from my understanding?

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The 2015 swimdeck seatbacks are now hinged with a storage cubby behind, as @Bruce suggested, likely eliminating that location as a viable speaker mount option.

1430-AR_240_BlackWhite_SwimStorage_0781.jpg
(from the Yamaha website http://www.yamahaboats.com/24-foot-boats/ar240-high-output then click "Next" a couple of times to get the above picture).

Also, suggest you contact Odin @Earmark Marine, he should be able to put together a JL Audio package for you that is better fit to your boat than the Yamaha slampacks and, quite possibly, at a better price.
He hooked me up.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I've seen people here on the forums put 6x9 speakers back there succesfully so I don't see it being a problem. The bass is able to travel through nicely but some highs will be lost of course. I haven't even seen the boat in person yet as we pick it up this weekend. It has two batteries already from my understanding?
Different type of boat. Like @Bruce said you have storage back there, and the ones you seen do not have storage.

Is the slam pack HCLD speakers? If not then I would not go with the slam pack and find some HCLD speakers. 5 times more loud.

RegezM3

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ohh thats right! I forgot about the storage doors on the new models. I'll have to find another place then.. hrmm... I have heard that term "HLCD" and I'm not sure if these speakers have that technology. But I'm glad that you brought up that point of interest. HLCD speakers will project the distance of the sound much farther than regular speakers from my understanding??... but how do they sound while on the boat and at near distance. We don't do much wakeboarding so no need for distance sound projection and boat is primarily for partying at sand bars. I would rather have speakers that sound better on and around close vicinity of the boat. What are you thoughts? Link to the JL tower speakers is below:

https://www.yamahapartsandaccessories.com/product/details/jl-audio-slampak-tower-kit?b=Boat&d=13|13&dealernumber=

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I just did 6 MX650's, 2 10" subs, and the 1000/5 amp. I plan on adding 2 more mx650's, another amp, and replacing the tweeters in the tower very soon. It's pretty dam overkill for me. I didn't do tower speakers as we don't really wakeboard, and my stereo is plenty loud enough for just hanging out on the beach. Pretty sure all this was alot cheaper than buying the preassembled slampaks. Definitely contact Odin.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Ohh thats right! I forgot about the storage doors on the new models. I'll have to find another place then.. hrmm... I have heard that term "HLCD" and I'm not sure if these speakers have that technology. But I'm glad that you brought up that point of interest. HLCD speakers will project the distance of the sound much farther than regular speakers from my understanding??... but how do they sound while on the boat and at near distance. We don't do much wakeboarding so no need for distance sound projection and boat is primarily for partying at sand bars. I would rather have speakers that sound better on and around close vicinity of the boat. What are you thoughts? Link to the JL tower speakers is below:

https://www.yamahapartsandaccessories.com/product/details/jl-audio-slampak-tower-kit?b=Boat&d=13|13&dealernumber=

I would contact Odin at @Earmark Marine For sure. I bet he can get you 10" hcld wetsounds for around that cost. Hcld have the ability to project but they also sound great close. If I were spending the money i would rather do it once then find out that I should have gotten them and spend it again.

Just my .02

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
If you want LOUD, you are going to want HLCD'S. No, they don't sound as good near field as regular coaxial type speakers, but they don't sound terrible by any means. JL makes first rate equipment and it sounds as good as it gets, but you can pull up to the cove or sandbar with thousands of dollars of coaxials and nice amps, and I'll drown you completely out. Look into Exile XM9'S or some of the Wetsounds REV series. You'll thank me later.

RegezM3

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Very interesting! I will have to do some more research before making my decision! Thank you for the info guys.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree...exile or wetsounds and don't skimp on power. I think one sub done right would be OK. I wouldn't worry about swim deck speakers with a good pair and powered tower speakers and upgraded boat speakers.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I agree...exile or wetsounds and don't skimp on power. I think one sub done right would be OK. I wouldn't worry about swim deck speakers with a good pair and powered tower speakers and upgraded boat speakers.
Yes.....HLCD's love power....and one sub done correctly will have a heck of an impact. I went from 2 10"s in a sealed enclosure, to 1 12" in a port tuned enclosure this year and the difference is nothing short of amazing.

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
If you truly want output with a warmer balance then go straight to the Wetsounds Rev10s. Larger pod displacement and greater surface area. Just about everything else is an 8" HLCD. The step-up to a 10" is well worth the small increase in investment.
Also, the JL Audio 880 8-inch tower speakers are getting great reviews for midbass and sound quality.

Kennc

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You are going to have difficulty putting speakers on the swim platform unless you are comfortable modifying the side seat back cushions.

The 242's cushions are different than the 240's, specifically cut to fit the speakers.

I added 2 coaxials mid-cockpit. One below the throttle assembly and one below the co-pilot's seat.

This was both slampaks and an additional set of coaxials.

Love the sound, but to do it again I'd follow the advice already given and call Odin. He will get you the same or better product in a more efficient setup. He'll save you a few hundred at least.

RegezM3

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I called Odin and send an e-mail. Eagerly awaiting his response. Thank you for your advice everyone! =)

Earmark Marine

Jet Boat Junkie
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If I haven't replied to your email or phone call I promise I will get back to you on Tuesday. Just now leaving the office and I started at 7am and still had 9 voicemails and about 60 emails left to answer! The season has really kicked off and I wanted to make sure I talked to everyone who placed orders over the weekend and got their orders shipped out today, but I'm a little behind on some return calls and emails.

We can make that boat as overkill as you can stand it lol! And save you some $ at the same time. I got in some of the new JL Audio M880's and I always have the Wet Sounds in stock, let's talk tomorrow about your goals and how to get there.

On another note, I just about finished up txav8r's AR240 today and I have to say that I'm blown away by how loud and clear the system sounds. MX650's in the bow, 2 pair of MX650's in the cabin, MX650's on the transom and a single 10" sub in an enclosure, no tower speakers. Mel did it right and has a separate channel for every speaker and the system has amazing dynamic range and punch, while looking very "stock". I would be very happy with his system if I had a similar boat, this thing rocks! Just a couple minor details to finish up in the morning and I'm sure Mel will post some pics when he picks the boat up. A tower with some M880's and another subwoofer would definitely put this boat in the "overkill" category in a good way.

Thanks to all of you guys who recommended Earmark, I really appreciate the business! If I'm a little slow responding it's because things have been crazy busy the past few weeks with people getting their boats out for the first time of the season, and I really try to spend as much time with every customer as they need to custom tailor my support and system planning to their individual boat and needs. Some days there just aren't enough hours in the day, I appreciate your patience.

Odin

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If I haven't replied to your email or phone call I promise I will get back to you on Tuesday. Just now leaving the office and I started at 7am and still had 9 voicemails and about 60 emails left to answer! The season has really kicked off and I wanted to make sure I talked to everyone who placed orders over the weekend and got their orders shipped out today, but I'm a little behind on some return calls and emails.

We can make that boat as overkill as you can stand it lol! And save you some $ at the same time. I got in some of the new JL Audio M880's and I always have the Wet Sounds in stock, let's talk tomorrow about your goals and how to get there.

On another note, I just about finished up txav8r's AR240 today and I have to say that I'm blown away by how loud and clear the system sounds. MX650's in the bow, 2 pair of MX650's in the cabin, MX650's on the transom and a single 10" sub in an enclosure, no tower speakers. Mel did it right and has a separate channel for every speaker and the system has amazing dynamic range and punch, while looking very "stock". I would be very happy with his system if I had a similar boat, this thing rocks! Just a couple minor details to finish up in the morning and I'm sure Mel will post some pics when he picks the boat up. A tower with some M880's and another subwoofer would definitely put this boat in the "overkill" category in a good way.

Thanks to all of you guys who recommended Earmark, I really appreciate the business! If I'm a little slow responding it's because things have been crazy busy the past few weeks with people getting their boats out for the first time of the season, and I really try to spend as much time with every customer as they need to custom tailor my support and system planning to their individual boat and needs. Some days there just aren't enough hours in the day, I appreciate your patience.

Odin
Channel/speaker is my orientation from PA days.

Tanktop

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have taken everybody's advice here and written Odin about upgrading 2015 AR240 sound system. He asked if stock radio has zone control.

My boat/owners manual won't arrive for a couple days. Anybody able to help me answer his question?

Thanks in advance