• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

JL Audio M3 vs M6

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Last year the AR192 OEM speakers were shot so I put cheap kenwood marine speakers and a rockville amp. They're not loud enough so I want to put quality speakers and keep the kenwoods for when I upgrade my boat. Are JL Audio the best value? M3 vs M6? Will this upgrade be significantly louder over my current set up?

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Get an amp over new speakers. Most speakers are similary efficient - the key is power.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Get an amp over new speakers. Most speakers are similary efficient - the key is power.
My amp is a 5 channel and it pushes the 8" subwoofer hard. But at full volume the speakers are terrible. I was thinking that the cheap rockville amp could be faulty.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
My amp is a 5 channel and it pushes the 8" subwoofer hard. But at full volume the speakers are terrible. I was thinking that the cheap rockville amp could be faulty.
Are you gains and cross overs set correctly? The head unit at full volume will clip - not sure if you really cranking it to 100% or not.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Are you gains and cross overs set correctly? The head unit at full volume will clip - not sure if you really cranking it to 100% or not.
I think so. I'm not an audio expert, but last year I looked up youtube videos and turned a lot of knobs.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I think so. I'm not an audio expert, but last year I looked up youtube videos and turned a lot of knobs.
A few rules of thumb to double check : don't turn head unit past 3/4. Set gains to that level - typically should be under half way. Keep crossovers around 80hz, if you want more volume can push to 100hz with less of a slope (like 6 or 12dB). I am not a fan of Kenwood speakers but they should sound fairly decent with power. Of course it could be the amp, like you said.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
A few rules of thumb to double check : don't turn head unit past 3/4. Set gains to that level - typically should be under half way. Keep crossovers around 80hz, if you want more volume can push to 100hz with less of a slope (like 6 or 12dB). I am not a fan of Kenwood speakers but they should sound fairly decent with power. Of course it could be the amp, like you said.
I'll check it out. I'm thinking of a way of diagnosing the amp: If I turn the head unit to full volume, the amp to full gain, and the passover at 100hz, and the speakers don't reach some level of distortion (ie before damage), then the amp outs are likely insufficient?

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I'll check it out. I'm thinking of a way of diagnosing the amp: If I turn the head unit to full volume, the amp to full gain, and the passover at 100hz, and the speakers don't reach some level of distortion (ie before damage), then the amp outs are likely insufficient?
I personally wouldn’t ever turn gains to max, potential damage is easy. If you have a meter you could mathematically determine output to the speakers. Also could make sure you have the amp set to low input, if it has the option to change.