• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Rockford Fosgate vs JL amps

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I’m looking at upgrading the sound system on my new-to-me 2018 242LS-E and have decided on JL speakers and a JL sub but I could save some $$$ by using Rockford Fosgate (RF) amps. The audio shop that I use is a big Rockford Fosgate dealer but for not much more I can go with JL instead. Another plus to using RF amps is that the shop sells so much of it that if I would have a failure under warranty they just swap the component out ASAP - no need to wait for RF to approve. I had JL 6.5” M3’s and a 10” JL M3 subwoofer on my previous boat being driven by one JL amp and one Wetsounds amp and was very happy with the system.

The audio shop uses these Class-D Rockford Fosgate amps and they really like them:

BDF795C3-BF6E-4D29-AFDB-5C3C13725660.jpeg

The pictured 750w RF amp is comparable from a wattage range to the JL 800 watt offerings but is basically half the price. I know that you generally “get what you pay for” but will you notice the difference between RF and JL amps if you’re not an audiophile? Any drawbacks to the RF amps that I may not be aware of?

I’lll spend the money on JL or Wetsounds amps if I have to but it would be nice to save some $$$ - if possible.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Attachments

Last edited:

drober30

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SD
Boat Length
Here is my opinion...

Go with a JL Audio MVi amplifier with built in DSP (MV600/6i). I have had custom installs in my cars for the last thirty years, it's always been JL Audio amps and subs but my speaker selections varied throughout the years to include Focal, MB Quart, JL Audio and a couple of other high end brands that were the best pick at the time.

However, it doesn't matter what equipment you have if your installer is not proficient at tunning a system. Nowadays, they have some pretty sophisticated equipment that assist with the tunning like JL Audio TuN software and JL Audios MAX Tuner but your installer still has to know how to use it. Several different "tunes" can be stored to the amplifier for different genres so you can switch between them with a push of a button... it's like adjusting the bass, tremble and sub output all at once!

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
The only reason to go JL is their DSP. There are other options out there even for that.

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thank you both for the feedback.

It appears that I'm going with the RF amps - the shop that is installing the new system knows them inside/out so the tune should be good. The owner of the shop has done great work for me in the past and I trust his judgement so I'll roll the dice.

So it appears my system will include:

8x JL M3 6.5" speakers
1x JL M3 10" sub
2x JL M3 7.7" tower speakers with enclosures
2x RF amps (not sure which two at the moment - the shop is looking at the specs that I will need)

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length

It appears that I'm going with the RF amps - the shop that is installing the new system knows them inside/out so the tune should be good. The owner of the shop has done great work for me in the past and I trust his judgement so I'll roll the dice.

8x JL M3 6.5" speakers
1x JL M3 10" sub
2x RF amps (not sure which two at the moment - the shop is looking at the specs that I will need)
The RFs don't have on-board DSP so tuning will be next to nothing unless they are adding in a DSP (like the DSR1)

Erinpatricksmith

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Columbus (home) and Port Clinton (lake house) OH
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

8x JL M3 6.5" speakers
1x JL M3 10" sub
Wisky -

I’m looking at something very similar for my ‘24 AR250.

The two amps I’m being quoted are the: RF1500X5 for cabin speakers and the sub, and a SounDesign1200.4 for the 2 towers and swim deck.

I’m looking at (6) RF M2 6.5” for cabin, (2) 8” M2 RF on tower, and (1) 10” M2 RF sub. They are all Color Optix RGB.

$7k installed. It’s a hefty bill.
What was your quoted $?

Noles187

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
Sorry to hijack the thread but I'm waiting on 8 JL M6 6.5's, 2 JL M6 10's, JL MVi 800/8 for the 6.5's and a JL 600/1 bridged for the subs....as far as the DSP is concerned I'm having a professional shop do they install. Do I need to request they tune it a certain way during the install?

drober30

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SD
Boat Length
Sorry to hijack the thread but I'm waiting on 8 JL M6 6.5's, 2 JL M6 10's, JL MVi 800/8 for the 6.5's and a JL 600/1 bridged for the subs....as far as the DSP is concerned I'm having a professional shop do they install. Do I need to request they tune it a certain way during the install?
Sounding like the same setup I'm going to go with. I've had the MVi amps in my car and they are incredible. As far as tuning, hopefully your dealer has the JL MAX Tuner and can use that to tune your system. Also check into a DRC-205 so you can switch between tunes stored in the amp and control the bass output on the fly.

Are you buying all your equipment through your dealer or online?

Noles187

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
I got it all from cycle springs where I got the boat and got 15% everything. What’s that tuner? They aren’t a JL specific retailer (the install shop) and I ordered the bass knob and the RGB controller. I’ll have to look that other one up.

drober30

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SD
Boat Length
I got it all from cycle springs where I got the boat and got 15% everything. What’s that tuner? They aren’t a JL specific retailer (the install shop) and I ordered the bass knob and the RGB controller. I’ll have to look that other one up.
The DRC-205 is a bass knob but it is specifically designed for the MVi amplifiers. The installer can store several different tunes to the amplifier, like one for rap music, pop, country and metal so you can press the bass knob in and it wioll cycle through the different stored tunes... kinda like adjusting bass and tribble on the fly.

If your having it done at the boat dealer and they are not an authorized JL Audio dealer, they probably don't have the JL MAX Tuner. At least make sure the installer knows how to tune the amps using JL Audios TuN software or you are not getting your money's worth out of your equipment. Don't let anybody tell you that tuning your amps aren't important, it's 100% everything!

Noles187

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
On the website it doesn’t mention that knob being marine grade or compatible with the MVi amp if mentioned several others. Am I missing something?

drober30

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SD
Boat Length
On the website it doesn’t mention that knob being marine grade or compatible with the MVi amp if mentioned several others. Am I missing something?
Correct, that model was not Marine grade; however it is listed as compatible with the MVi amps and I had it installed in my MVi setup, it is an awesome addition I would not be without it in any future install!

The Marine Grade version is the M-DRC-50, the description states it allows the selection of the DSP presets stored in the amp; however, it does not appear that it includes the rotary knob to lower and raise the sub volume like the DRC-205. I will ask my installer what he thinks but I'm thinking the DRC-205 would survive, especially if mounted strategically, my only concern would be to protect it from rain so I'm thinking I could mount it in the glovebox. If not, I go with the M-DRC-50.

at 15:50 they start talking about the DRC but I recommend watching other parts of the video, it's very informative!

Last edited:

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Having to sift through info, for BOTH installs, is a lot harder when hidden in non-related threads.

Good thing notifications work tho 🙄

Last edited:

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hey, who put chocolate in my peanut butter!! :)