• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

July 3rd Tellico Lake Nite Squall

S1LV3R4D0

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Did anyone else get caught up in that horrendous lightning storm on Tellico Lake Wednesday night? It was crazy!!

We were anchored up by Sequoyah Marina waiting for the fireworks, watching a few lightning strikes in the distance when our friends said they were heading in due to AN incoming storm. It was already 9pm and the sun was down so we heeded their info since they literally live on the lake and headed for the ramp. About 500yds from the ramp, pitch black, it let go! And i mean it was like someone was just pouring buckets on us! And of course the stupidity ensued at the ramp. No one was using their brains. Everyone was just out for themselves. Blocking both ramps to unload entire boats of people instead of just letting one off to get the trailer and pulling everyone out on the boat. People just whipping in, ignoring the line of trailers that were waiting for their turn. Needless to say, I was able to stick the landing on the trailer thanks to the @Cobra Jet Steering LLC system. The Navionics app was essential to getting us back to the ramp in the pitch black, safely. It was a crazy, first time night loading but the wife is an awesome Co-Pilot.

We headed for Norris for the 4th and got rained out after an hour. So loaded back up, went home, did some day drinking and went and watched the Knoxville Fireworks. It is what it is, lol.

I hope all yall had a safe and fun 4th of July.

MERICA!!

Just before we got the warning and headed for the ramp.

We've gotten used to loading/unloading in that situation. We didn't get caught in this particular storm, but have had several similar events happen to us on the water.

A few tips that has made it easier for us when caught in a downpour.

We use our TaylorMade UmbrellaShade as a "shield" against the rain/wind. Set that thing up and let it rest against the windshield and bimini top. it will deflect a good deal of the "stinging" portion of the rain. Then keep the engines running and just enough thrust used to keep us pointed into the wind. This helps the shade do it's job, keeps a good deal of crap out of the cockpit, and keeps the wind/rain form pushing us somewhere we don't want to go.

Just accept you're getting wet. The sooner you accept your fate, the less stress you have. I've sat under the swim platform in the parking lot at the ramp (with the family safe in the truck) and had water running THROUGH my shorts in a storm before. it sucks, but once I let go of the "I'm going to try and stay dry" everything got easier, and I just got on with loading up.

I say this every year and still haven't done it, however, I'm gonna say it again.......I REALLY want a camper canvas, or at least partial enclosure made up for the boat. Just enough to keep the rain out of the cockpit area.

Just recently found the app "MyRadar". I've allowed it to alert me to localized weather a few times, and it's given us enough of a heads up that we can get to the ramp before the skys let loose. Totally worthwhile if you have decent service on the water.

At any rate, glad you made it back in safe. That's a serious nerve racking situation to power through in the dark!

Thanks man. @2kwik4u Yeah i had no problem with the wetness, we knew it was coming. That wasn't any part of the stress. The stress came from it being the first night run and the storm on top of that. And i felt bad for our friends that were over from Nashville. But they had a blast they said. Thanks for that app info. Just downloaded it. Im gonna put it on my tablet that i have Navionics running on so alerts will be heard and seen right there in front of me.

Back