• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Just another thread for a MR1 slow oil leak

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a small oil leak in my port engine, have for awhile but I’ve always been great at monitoring the levels in both engines. Probably leaked around 1/8 of a quart over 5 months while in winter storage, so I’m not too concerned. I’m hoping the bolt I replaced (16) fixes the slow leak but who knows, time will tell.

Below are the pics I have, as you can see the previous owner/dealer tried to remove or tightened the other two bolts too hard and snapped the heads off (8 & 19). The oil filter isn’t the source of the leak and I used Yamalube for the last oil change. Any other advice is welcome, I plan on buying a mirror to get a better look under the engine in the coming days.

0F0486A2-1818-4FA7-B058-1020EC3C9752.jpeg
55752AA4-D03A-4BA3-B291-DB5775CDDBD6.jpeg

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For your sake I hope that #16 is not snapped off too.

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For your sake I hope that #16 is not snapped off too.
No thank god, I replaced that one! We will see if I have any more drips on the new paper towel when I get home this weekend, won’t hold my breath though.

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Mine have leaked for years and it's never been a concern. It's an excuse to keep the engine bay clean and wiped out. I always check the oil anyway so it's no big deal since I'm in there.

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
well pop the engine out... pull the oil tank and the oil pump and gallery (i think if you pull the correct combo of bolts they come off as one unit IIRC) pull the broken studs with vice grips or a stud extractor, a new gasket, a couple of orings and reassemble and re install ... and your back in business while you have the engine out you can install a sump oil extractor in place of the drain bolt... pics mid way in my re-power thread... MR-1 sump drain solution...

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Looks like a good winter project. That is unless you start leaking an undesirable amount of oil. I would let it ride and keep a really close eye on it until the season is over. Of course it could go bad to worse really quick, there's the risk.

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks like a good winter project. That is unless you start leaking an undesirable amount of oil. I would let it ride and keep a really close eye on it until the season is over. Of course it could go bad to worse really quick, there's the risk.
it never leaked a whole heck of a lot so I’m gonna ride it out until I really start seeing a ton of oil under there! The perfectionist in me just likes to have it fixed 🤣

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mine have leaked for years and it's never been a concern. It's an excuse to keep the engine bay clean and wiped out. I always check the oil anyway so it's no big deal since I'm in there.
Ya I would rather leak it than burn it for sure, thankfully it’s just the port engine, so I suppose I’m fortunate there. Either way I’m not gonna dig too deep into it unless it really starts to leak!