• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

just want to hear music while i drive

Ogtbagger

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Hey all, I have a 2016 242 limited se. As most are familiar there is a big dead zone in the captain's chair with music. I am not looking to break the bank or anything that crazy loud. I just want to enjoy some tunes while cruising. I am not interested in tower speakers at this time. Does anyone have any suggestions or examples of what they have done?

thanks

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I agree with the above. I have a different model but the cockpit speakers make an enormous difference.

msjones144

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here's my build for adding mid cabin and tower speakers. You could obviously give/take from this setup to meet your needs but its largely based on another members build thread that is referenced within. It was definitely worth it! Good luck, holler if you have questions.

brad8266

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I wound up replacing all the stock speakers with some wet sounds and powered them with a 1000 watt wet sounds amp. No more dead spot in the captain chairs. Rings loud and clear.

BrandonG

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the Wetsounds Rev 10 towers in my 195 and noticed over the weekend without them on you cant hear any music when you're in the boat underway.

Luckily there is a level knob with the Rev's because they are very overpowering of all other noise lol

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I'm adding more JL M65's to the cockpit, tapping them from the stern speakers. That dead zone annoys me so much!

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think I spent MAYBE 300 bucks adding volume to our teeny boat. Definitely didnt want too much. And thats including box and wiring.... sounds great. even bumps pretty good with the right music.

4 channel JBL MA6004 amplifier($130). I think its 65w RMS x 4

2 Kicker 6.5's under each helm($80) powered by front two channels.

Rockford Fosgate 10" sub in the smallest box I could fit under my helm. ($60) Bridged from rear channel for 130 watts.

I also have two kenwood 6.5" that are powered by the head unit, and a switch to the amp so I can turn it off if were just sitting, listening to a soccer game....or just eating and dont need high power. ALso use this feature when cleaning the boat :) Really, They act to fill sound in the bow for folks sitting up there under way. I installed those before the amp though... so I dont count the cost...

Ive been incredibly pleased with it...

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I think I spent MAYBE 300 bucks adding volume to our teeny boat. Definitely didnt want too much. And thats including box and wiring.... sounds great.
That's similar to what I did...just added a JL Audio MX500/4 and wired in to the stock speakers and they pump pretty good now. Haven't had a chance to get out on the water and confirm, but they should be loud enough now.

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That's similar to what I did...just added a JL Audio MX500/4 and wired in to the stock speakers and they pump pretty good now. Haven't had a chance to get out on the water and confirm, but they should be loud enough now.
Cool, yeah... im not super into audio, or bass like i was when i was young..it just takes a little power. Basically at least get close to what the speakers are rated for. :)

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Cool, yeah... im not super into audio, or bass like i was when i was young..it just takes a little power. Basically at least get close to what the speakers are rated for. :)
Yup, the Fusion can only put out about 5w of clean power before they run out of juice to get the speakers pumping. Was out yesterday and the speakers are loud enough now. They're rated 60w for the 6.5's and 50w for the 5.25's, but with some solid power behind them, they're pretty good. I could have just used the JL MX280/4 but I got the 500/4 on sale for close to the same price and have additional headroom in the event I upgrade down the road.