• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Keel Guard Dilemma

$75 to install is absolutely worth it, but doesn't seem like much of a discount considering you're letting them keep your boat on display and now also try to goad people into buying a keelguard.

It's not difficult to install at all, but an annoying job laying on your back in the driveway.
The problem is that I didn't expect the boat to arrive so early. Also complicating matters is the fact that in Minnesota all of the affordable indoor storage lots were full. Other lots wanted to charge $600 until May. This way I saved the storage fees and the boat is stored in a heated showroom. They also through in the 10 hours service for keeping the boat on the showroom for me. From what I read, it's not a difficult service but heck, why not?

I have a white hull and will check out the classified ad later tonight.

Not that I’m on here much lol, it’s white. He may or not be in MN.
Yep, in MN about 10 minutes from the St. Croix river.

Throwing in the 10 hour service is definitely nice. It's not difficult, but dealers have been known to charge upwards of $500 for it.

I went with gray on mine and probably should have done black. It's not really an eye sore or anything. I don't beach a whole lot, but I've never owned anything that I haven't put a keelguard on before it hit the water.
20200505_165547.jpg

My 275 is the black cherry hull and i bought a black one for mine. It will go on in the spring. I uad to do a bunch of glass and gel work on the keel of my 232 from the previous owner. As soon as i got it back to a1 i pit a keel guard right on. That was white on white. I thought it would be an eye sore but you didnt even really notice it was there. For the new boat it was either red or black. The red was nowhere close. If you cant match then dont try or it will look like you couldnt match it right and stick out worse. Go with the black.

We have the keel guard - black on black hull - and given the gouges out of it the protection has paid for itself. @HangOutdoors The blue hull may look better with a black guard than a blue that may not match well plus you have it already. @shnknapp As for install - marking sanding and glueing while crawling under the trailer is a pita so for $75 I wouldn’t hesitate to let the dealer install.

Jumping on this thread with a question related to the Keel Guard. We bought our boat a few weeks ago and made a deal with the dealer that they can keep it roped off on the showroom so they can have something on the floor. Anyways, the dealer reached out to me and asked if I was thinking about a Keel Guard. Informed him that I was and they said that if I purchase the guard through them or another retailer, they will install it for $75. Basically to get other buyers to purchase and install. I've seen some install videos, and while it doesn't look that difficult, is the $75 worth me not having to deal with installing myself?
Well...I am a cheap, penny pinching SOB! I installed mine myself...took me less than 2 hours. No regrets, would do it again rather than pay $75 for somebody else to do it!

@shnknapp Have them do it for $75. That is a no brainer. They can take their time, do it on the showroom floor where your boat is and if they mess it up let them fix it and buy another one. If it was a lot more than that I would do it myself. If someone would do mine for $75, someone who has done them consistently I would do it. I have a lot things on my plate all the time, this would be one less thing I need to figure out and do and as always when you do something for the first time I can pretty much find a way for it not to go smoothly.

Just applied mine today. Hunter green color was closest match for the teal lower hull. I'm happy.
Took total about 45 min to install.
IMG_20201223_154417.jpg

Last edited:
Well...I am a cheap, penny pinching SOB! I installed mine myself...took me less than 2 hours. No regrets, would do it again rather than pay $75 for somebody else to do it!
I've done enough now that it took me 35 mins from start to finish to install my keelguard on my boat. I don't trust anyone, so if I can I'll do the work myself.

I've done enough now that it took me 35 mins from start to finish to install my keelguard on my boat. I don't trust anyone, so if I can I'll do the work myself.
Impressive it would take me a whole day and I would stressed too the max (as well as not having a day to spend doing this).

Impressive it would take me a whole day and I would stressed too the max (as well as not having a day to spend doing this).
I'm hyper OCD, BUT have done it enough times there's nothing to stress about. Lay out the keelguard in the sun while you get everything out, temporarily tape it up where you want it after a quick dry fit, tape out the out line, scuff up using the pad, use acetone to clean up any of the dust, use the prep wipes to make sure there's no residue left from the acetone, pull down the tape in the center and press it down with the tool, then do the sides and keep pressure from the center out. Bob's your uncle and you're done in no time. Takes me longer to tape up and pull the tape than it does to put the keelguard on. I did it before a storm was coming in so I had to hustle.

Jumping on this thread with a question related to the Keel Guard. We bought our boat a few weeks ago and made a deal with the dealer that they can keep it roped off on the showroom so they can have something on the floor. Anyways, the dealer reached out to me and asked if I was thinking about a Keel Guard. Informed him that I was and they said that if I purchase the guard through them or another retailer, they will install it for $75. Basically to get other buyers to purchase and install. I've seen some install videos, and while it doesn't look that difficult, is the $75 worth me not having to deal with installing myself?
No doubt worth $75. Most dealers here in MN charge $200+, but I guess it depends on the value of your time and competence.

Funny I inquired at my local dealer in WI and they said they wouldn’t touch it. But yours looks great!

The thickness on a bed lining vs. rubber guard turns me off. Those linings are meant to be attached to steel, not fiberglass, and I would say have the potential to be penetrated by a rock very easily vs. a rubber guard.

I would pay 75 Forsure. however with zero knowledge on my first install it was totally doable. Easier with 2 people but with plenty of painters tape and their you tube video it’s not that bad.

Anybody have a white keel guard on a blue AR250? Curious to how it looks. My dealer is asking if I want black or white. They can install it and have it ready when we pick the boat up in the spring.

Anybody have a white keel guard on a blue AR250? Curious to how it looks. My dealer is asking if I want black or white. They can install it and have it ready when we pick the boat up in the spring.
Go black!

A keel guard is a must IMO. I learned the hard way. I rarely if ever beach but the one time you come in shallow even a small rock will cause major keel damage that costs hundreds of dollars to repair proper. A keel guard that matches the hull color is barely noticeable.

A6015B4A-312D-4C13-8784-60867C798A67.jpeg

The continental trailers that come with our boats have a center V bracket to support the boat. Is there no risk of the keel guard being pulled off by rubbing on that support when the boat is being backed off the trailer? My boat seems to be developing some gelcoat wear directly on the bottom of the keel - and I'm suspecting that this V bracket is the cause.

if trailer bunks are properly set up then there should be no way for the keel to rub the trailer. i emphasize "should be" lol. not sure how your trailer is set up. my factory yamaha trailer had the bunks welded in place. there were no adjustments. if yours is rubbing then there is a rubber guard piece that can be attached to the trailer right in that "v" of the trailer so if it does rub then it wont damage anything. you could also get a couple blocks of starboard and space the bunks up a little in the back if there is no adjustment

if trailer bunks are properly set up then there should be no way for the keel to rub the trailer. i emphasize "should be" lol. not sure how your trailer is set up. my factory yamaha trailer had the bunks welded in place. there were no adjustments. if yours is rubbing then there is a rubber guard piece that can be attached to the trailer right in that "v" of the trailer so if it does rub then it wont damage anything. you could also get a couple blocks of starboard and space the bunks up a little in the back if there is no adjustment
My trailer is fully adjustable....but the keel is supposed to be sitting on that center support no? When you back it into the water it will slide backwards off the trailer and if the stern is starting to go up and float it would push the bow down into that support. No?

Maybe I'll take it to the trailer dealer and have them give it a once over.

Back