• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Keel Guard

What size Keel guard did you buy for your 19' Yamaha Boat?

• Total voters

traderfjp

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Lots of threads on this but no consensus of what is the best size to buy for a 19' Yamaha boat. Please take the poll. Thanks

Last edited:

traderfjp

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Thanks. I've been doing a lot of research. When I went under my boat 6-7' seemed reasonable but then I read of members using much larger guards. I'm not beaching the boat so not sure I need a really long one.

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Installed a 7ft because it was discounted. 8ft would be ideal. Prep took about 90 minutes (mark, tape, sand, clean), application about 10 min (apply, press with laminate roller).

Bizywk

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Installed a 7ft because it was discounted. 8ft would be ideal. Prep took about 90 minutes (mark, tape, sand, clean), application about 10 min (apply, press with laminate roller).
Photos?

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
White on white.... not easy to photograph.

The most forward part needs to be above the waterline when under power, that determines how far back you can take it. We took the boat out, marked where the water touched the bow at 8mph, then started the strip about an inch or two above that line.

Attachments

Epsmith19

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Other
Do these not add drag

Yamahaul

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I did 8 recently, wish i did bigger, go 8+ forsure, 10. why? it just doesnt seem long enough on the bottom once you tuck it up under they bow eye. I dont know why they recommended 7 even for the 19'

Yamahaul

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
here is gray. dont know why it came in sideways. sorry. the charcoal color is spot on for this boat color 1614634248681.png

Last edited:

DrPhil

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
what's a keel guard for?

Yamahaul

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
to protect it if you pull up on lets say the beach or sand bar . keeps the skuff marks off.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
What about the stern? I'm more concerned about the keel at the transom....I plan on tying my boat at the stern towards the beach, easier for boarding. I have no plans on beaching my boat. I would actually like to install the guard the entire length of the feel. Am I crazy?

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Yes you dont want to back your boat up on to a beach. You will end up destroying the pumps, impellers and everything else mechanical back there. If your not going to beach the boat though then there is no real need for a keel guard

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Yes you dont want to back your boat up on to a beach. You will end up destroying the pumps, impellers and everything else mechanical back there. If your not going to beach the boat though then there is no real need for a keel guard
Agreed....but not on the beach, towards the beach.

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
I see. The keel guard is to protect the keel from the sand and stones. If your not going to have the boat touching land in any way then no need for one at all

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
I see. The keel guard is to protect the keel from the sand and stones. If your not going to have the boat touching land in any way then no need for one at all
Truth be told, you can find a thread on here about my maiden voyage where I managed to scratch the keel from midship to the rudder. Not to bad, but scratched pretty good. Could probably run it this season. But, I'm all about cosmetics. I want to be prepared in case I make another rookie mistake.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Not necessarily true, if you hit a ramp, submerged log, etc it could definitely save the day or at very least minimize the damage