• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Keelguard

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
do you guys feel it's necessary? I'd like to keep my new hull new looking. Things happen and sometimes you get a ding so what say you? Worth it or not?

Or is there something else to keep scuffing to a minimum?

Should I put keel guard all the way to the rudder on a new ar240?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I do not use it a lot but I like having keelguard on my boat. I enjoy knowing the the keel is protected when I do beach the bow. I typically throw a bow anchor with an Anchor Buddy then back up to the beach.

I would not apply the keelguard all the way to the rudder. I worry that that it might disturb the effectiveness of the keel.

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I put mine on because of the amount of scuffing I was getting on the hull.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Keel guard, without a doubt, is one of the first mods that a beaching boat must get. Less wear and tear on the hull and has saved my hull more times then I like to count.

I would just put the recommend length on and forget about it.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
do you guys feel it's necessary? I'd like to keep my new hull new looking .......
Should I put keel guard all the way to the rudder on a new ar240?
I have it on my Skeeter bass boat and am happy I do ! Keeps things looking pretty !
"All the way ?" ........ I am no expert but better safe than sorry, as they say.
Good Luck to you ! Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I put one on all of my boats and skis. The length of the keel is overkill since to use the rear end of it you would have to beach apst your entire boat. just go with the recommended length for your boat and you should be fine.

Trm1765

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
If you ever plan on beaching highly recommended.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the keel shield. It's the same concept, different brand. I wouldn't beach the boat without one. But IMHO I'd start it an inch below the water line and 8-10 feet down from there.

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Keelguard++

While I beach bow out (which is not really "beaching"), mostly there are times that bow in is needed (like really bad weather). Your keel take the brunt of your force and if you shove down on a rock w/ your keel... it's not going to be a wet sandpaper and polish job... you're going to be doing fiberglass repair at that point.

Also... every year, water levels where I boat rise dramatically and crap gets floated into the water like logs. While I try to avoid that kind of thing, I know that my keelguard has helped me at least once because of floating debris.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Mine has it. Previous Owner installed it. I really like the sense of protection. If mine didn't come with it, I'd install one. Just my opinion.

utahrd

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
if you beach it, you need it.