• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Keeping sand off the boat???

Five Faces

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Enjoying the boat in some salt down in Orange Beach where we beached the boat bow first for the first time (installed keel guard prior to trip). I was amazed at how much sand ended up IN the boat even though I asked everyone to board at the swim platform.

So what is the trick to minimizing the amount of sand that ends up on the boat? What is the best way to get rid of it? Since these boats aren’t self bailing is it okay to simply hose down which will eventually end up in bilge? I assume the bilge pump won’t last long with sand going through it, correct?

...or I’m overthinking it, just go out and have fun???

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
You're overthinking it - sand will get in the boat. They are self bailing, you can spray the deck down if you want when you get home. I get a lot of sand on my rear low platform from kids using it as a launch pad at the sand bars - all I have to do is slow down, quicker, from being on plane and that wave washes it off. It's a boat - enjoy it.

Five Faces

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
They are self bailing,
I forgot I have a scupper valve...so when washing down the deck most of the water exits the scupper, everything else is handled by the bilge pump???

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I forgot I have a scupper valve...so when washing down the deck most of the water exits the scupper, everything else is handled by the bilge pump???
That's correct. Do you pull out of the water on a trailer? Easiest way to do it is to jack the trailer all the way up at the front, hose from bow to stern, with all the plugs open.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
All the water sprayed on deck should go out the scupper. It will only get into the bilge if sprayed or poured into ski locker (drain) or engine compartment. You may have cup holders with drains that will go to bilge.

Five Faces

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Obviously it’s a new (to me) boat, 2017 Yamaha 242X, so I’m still trying to understand the ins and outs of all the systems. So when floating (in my wet slip this week) the scupper is above the water line, correct?

jsg73

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
It should be. If it wasn’t I think you would know pretty quickly.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yes, on your '17 it is above the waterline and should have a "flapper" at the outlet. My model/yr it is below the waterline and many change the plastic thru hull to S.S.

20200624_134957.jpg