• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Keeping water out of the horn?

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Folks,
time to replace the quacker - I mean 'horn'... Been using a compressed air horn but would rather go back to using the horn button.
Read the FAQ and considered replacing the OEM one with the stock POS duck call but would rather use something like this, https://www.overtons.com/product/details?pdesc=Wolo-Big-Bad-Max-12V-Air-Horn&i=84814 that actually sounds like a horn!
Problem is that I can't figure out how I could mount it in a way that it wouldn't ingest water such as if it's pointed at and closes off the hole of the existing horn (instructions say to 'mount in a dry place'). The alternative, mount it dry, pointing down would still have a gaping hole in the gunwale... Even though that's not a part of the boat that gets wet often I don't like the idea of a 3" diameter hole in the side of the boat!
I'm thinking sealing off the current horn hole would muffle the horn too much. But I can't think of a membrane or similar that would work.
Any suggestions? Alternatives? Will the newer 2015- horn fit and does it solve the duck call problem that makes other boaters laugh?
Thanks!
PS: don't want to do external horns like @tdonoghue even though that would be the sound I'd like...