• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Kidde Fire Extinguisher Recall

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Pretty massive recall of plastic handled extinguishers. Both of my marine ones were affected. Can request replacement online in a couple minutes, I have two new ones on the way.

http://www.kidde.com/home-safety/en/us/

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Tried to warn you guys about using the plastic valve extinguishers. I would suggest a better unit like the ones we design and manufacture at Amerex. Amerex is distributor only but you can also find them on Amazon. Note that we don't make disposable units so you would need them annually inspected by an Authorized Amerex distributor in your area.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Looks like the Amerex ones are more than my deductible. Let'r burn! :)

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Then why even bother with replacing lol?

Like everything else in life, you get what you pay for. If you're just looking for the bare minimum to get by then yes by all means use inferior components and roll the dice. I've learned, sometimes the hard way, that cutting corners usually means more money wasted in the long run :D

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Then why even bother with replacing lol?

Like everything else in life, you get what you pay for. If you're just looking for the bare minimum to get by then yes by all means use inferior components and roll the dice. I've learned, sometimes the hard way, that cutting corners usually means more money wasted in the long run :D
Was just being facetious. If I was actually buying one, I'd probably buy quality. Just replacing my free ones with more free ones :)

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

spatty99

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I just received my replacement extinguishers, and the worthless POS doesn't fit the OEM storage location!!! The new extinguishers are shorter and fatter, with a larger handle/nozzle, so it doesn't fit in the driver side tube on the boat (or in the molded-in spot under the Seadoo Spark seat). I can mount somewhere on the boat, but have no options for the jet ski. I'm guessing this will affect a massive number of boats and skis, since the recall was for something like 20 years worth of fire extinguishers. Anyone know of properly fitting (and functiononal) replacements? :mad:

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My replacement extinguisher doesn't fit in my SX210. I've been searching but haven't found one yet. My son is a Yamaha parts manager. I've sent him a text asking if he found a replacement yet. Worst case I'll have to find another place to mount one.

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well that just sucks! I'm one of the ones that the extinguisher is in a tub next to the helm. So now I know I'm gonna have to do something else. I've got 4 or 5 new ones coming for our new to us cruiser too, but there are many different places in that boat to put them.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
So what breaks? Like, why replace? I get the handle breaks but is it when u use it or...?
I want it to fit in oem hole which is why i think so many of us have the same issue.

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
When you need to use it the plastic handles are breaking making them useless. They're failing at the time of need.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
When you need to use it the plastic handles are breaking making them useless. They're failing at the time of need.
Well bah. Here i was trying to reason out doing nothing.

druppert

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Luckily the one I stupidly drilled through yesterday is under recall so they’ll be sending me a new one. Yes, I know these are poor quality extinguishers but at least I learned that you can quite easily puncture them if they malfunction in the event of an emergency. I’m pretty sure I could stab my diving knife through the sidewall. They also make one hell of a mess when the contents are deployed. Everything from the bow to the battery compartment was covered in a layer of white powder.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
My replacement extinguisher doesn't fit in my SX210. I've been searching but haven't found one yet. My son is a Yamaha parts manager. I've sent him a text asking if he found a replacement yet. Worst case I'll have to find another place to mount one.
Ever find a good replacement that fits? I need one.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Ever find a good replacement that fits? I need one.
Tagging @waterboy Hey scored him/I a replacement. I believe its a model FE5R. By first alert. Fits my plastic tube holder toit
ED451995-1E2B-41BA-B5A0-7F53C029DE59.jpeg

spatty99

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That looks like it would fit, although maybe shorter (less capacity) than the original? It is rated BC only (not A, which is wood/paper), but some other marine extinguishers have the same rating.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
That looks like it would fit, although maybe shorter (less capacity) than the original? It is rated BC only (not A, which is wood/paper), but some other marine extinguishers have the same rating.
Exact fit in dia and length. No room to spare in either dimension

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
BC (sodium bicarbonate) or Purple K (potassium bicarbonate) is what you want in the boat if you're using a dry chemical. You don't want to extinguish ABC in your engine compartment, around any electronics or bare exposed aluminum metal as it will corrode. It is the death sentence for electronics and the agent dust is so fine you will not clean it all. This is why it is not used around aircraft. If you want the best clean agent (no mess to clean up) you would go with Halon but it's pricey. CO2 would be the cheaper gas alternative. If you're worrying about putting out a wood or paper class A fire on your boat, use a bucket and the water you're floating in. You could always keep a water extinguisher too but not really practical as they are large cylinders (2.5 gallons and up) so it would eat into space. Just use the lake or river :D

Last edited:

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
What bracket or holder are you guys trying to fit the cylinder into? I may have something that works but need to know the dimensions. All of our USCG compliant models come with their own USCG approved metal bracket. No plastic junk.