• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Kidde Fire Extinguisher Recall

AZ Native

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@haknslash The older boats have a tube mounted in the console just aft of the throttles with screw cap to access the fire extinguisher. I found that all the Kiddie and First Alert small extinguishers fit in the tube. Older jet skis used a similar tube. I recommend not overthinking this. Buy a new one every few years and have fun discharging the old one away from things you care about. The new ones will work fine.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Ah I had one of those tubes in my old Seadoo that held a 2.5 lb Kidde push button extinguisher. Ironically I got stopped by the coast guard for a safety check and the unit had already leaked down after just a year. I was only suggesting to help since I work for a fire extinguisher manufacturer. Most of the cylinders and envelope dimensions are somewhat close.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Luckily the one I stupidly drilled through yesterday is under recall so they’ll be sending me a new one. ... . They also make one hell of a mess when the contents are deployed. Everything from the bow to the battery compartment was covered in a layer of white powder.
BC (sodium bicarbonate) or Purple K (potassium bicarbonate) is what you want in the boat if you're using a dry chemical. You don't want to extinguish ABC in your engine compartment, around any electronics or bare exposed aluminum metal as it will corrode. It is the death sentence for electronics and the agent dust is so fine you will not clean it all. This is why it is not used around aircraft. If you want the best clean agent (no mess to clean up) you would go with Halon but it's pricey. CO2 would be the cheaper gas alternative. If you're worrying about putting out a wood or paper class A fire on your boat, use a bucket and the water you're floating in. You could always keep a water extinguisher too but not really practical as they are large cylinders (2.5 gallons and up) so it would eat into space. Just use the lake or river :D
@druppert, please make note of what @haknslash said about the dry chemical and its affect on electronics. I had a much smaller accidental discharge in my helm compartment of an ABC. Very ugly to clean up, but be sure you get everything cleaned very well, or in a short time you will have no electronics.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I looked at both of mine today, and found both to be on the list. The one at the helm was original, and dated 06. The other one was from 2013. Replacing now. Here is what they look like.
20180520_114227.jpg
That is the one at helm in the "bottle".
20180520_114441.jpg
And the other one.
20180520_112745.jpg
20180520_113204.jpg
Went to a local West Marine to get other stuff and they were sold out.