• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Lake Norman, NC

dnicholas47

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My extended family is renting a house on Norman the week of the 4th. Anyone have any tips or things we should do while we are there? The house looks like it is about a mile southeast of the 150 bridge if that helps anyone. Thanks.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Dont know much about the lake. Was up there about 3 weekends ago camping. Decent size lake various restaurants around d the lake accessible by boat.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yes. You should, without a doubt, bring me some skyline chili.

Norman is beautiful, we go once a year or so. Should go more as it's less than an hour away, but we live on another lake, so... No specific things I love to see there. Plenty of good food options and such. We always take the skis and cruise the whole lake, which takes most of the day. Lots of good scenery.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes. You should, without a doubt, bring me some skyline chili.

Norman is beautiful, we go once a year or so. Should go more as it's less than an hour away, but we live on another lake, so... No specific things I love to see there. Plenty of good food options and such. We always take the skis and cruise the whole lake, which takes most of the day. Lots of good scenery.
What lake you live on wylie, or pine mountain?

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm on High Rock. ~40 minutes due east of Norman, pending which way you go.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ahh. My mom is about 8min from pine mountain. I will be helping my step dad set up tailgate stuff for panthers games so if yall wanna come to one let me know I'll be at all home games.

They usually have about 100-200ppl there. His company throws tailgate for clients and consultants.

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ooofff, I’m a fellow Charlotte’er here.

Please forgive me if I put a damper on what sounds like a great weekend that I’m sure you’re looking forward to. But I’m just going to be very honest.

I never, ever go to Lake Norman especially on the weekends. It’s just an absolute mad house. I think it’s just down right dangerous and more headache then fun. I wouldn’t dare trying to pull a kid being the boat either. It’s just down right a shit show out there, esp on the 4th.

Also there are a million cops out there, so if you plan on having a few cold ones be careful.

I will say the further north you are, by the 150 bridge the better.

There are a few coves you can find to hang out in, but if you are thinking of driving around pulling kids behind the boat, you will probably be disappointed.

Sorry again to put a damper on things but just want to be honest. I’m sure you’ll have fun regardless but just keep a few of the things I stated above in mind.

dnicholas47

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks Trevor. Appreciate the honesty and advice. We are there for the week, so I am hoping we get a few off days where it isn't as crowded, and we are staying very close to that bridge so hopefully that helps. With the cops I am guessing that there might not be, but any party coves/cliff jumping spots we should check out?

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks Trevor. Appreciate the honesty and advice. We are there for the week, so I am hoping we get a few off days where it isn't as crowded, and we are staying very close to that bridge so hopefully that helps. With the cops I am guessing that there might not be, but any party coves/cliff jumping spots we should check out?
Yeah, I’m sure you’ll find a night or 2 where you can get out before the madness. As for cliff jumping not anything that I know of. There is a “Sandbar” that is a rather large tie up/party. I marked it on the map in red. You can’t miss it, espcially on the 4th.

If you are looking for fun/chaos go south. If you are looking for the opposite, head north. Haha

Hope you guys have a great time!!

Attachments

dnicholas47

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks! Our place is about at the top of that picture so hopefully we should be in good shape for the kids. The sandbar may be too far with that many cops.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
To the left of the 150 bridge on the the south side is the boathouse grill nice for cheap meals. On the right on the north side of the bridge is the Blue Parrot reasonable food prices but the bill goes up with all the fancy rum drinks. Before the blue parrot on the right is Apps and Taps I haven't been in there yet. Directly across from the Blue Parrot is a nice wooded cove for swimming and lounging. There is a no wake speed under the big 150 bridge the police hang out by there monitoring it so go slow. I agree with the weekend nightmare I usually go out during the week but even then it gets a lot of traffic when the kids are out of school. On the other side by Cornelius is Welcome Sailor restaurant that just opened after redoing an old one I haven't been in there yet since it changed. There are a few more restaurants on the lake you can google. My boat is at a marina a little south of where you are staying if you run into any problems get a hold of me if you need tools or a tow for any reason.

dnicholas47

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks @Weeb! We are pretty close to Queens Landing. Black AR240. Hopefully we run into you.

dnicholas47

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Since this Lake had some reputation issues I figured I would give my $.02 after spending a week there.

The good: Huge Lake, plenty of marinas, incredible homes, weather was perfect, nice free ramps, well marked channels and hazards, and the house we rented easily fit 37 of us. During the week there were not many boats out and it felt like at times we practically had large areas of the lake to ourselves.

The bad: Holy gas price gouging compared to Norris Lake. Also, as predicted the 4th was nuts. Thankfully due to the input here we told the kids the day before so they knew we weren’t going to be out late. Wasn’t a big deal and I was ok having a break and floating by the dock with a few beers. Admittedly we didn’t get in until Saturday after dinner and left the follow BT Saturday morning so I can’t say how bad the main weekend was. Sunday afternoon got a little dicey, but we took a swim break and went out at dinner time and it was fine.

Bottom line if I lived close to Charlotte and could get on this lake I wouldn’t hesitate. Matter of fact we already booked for next year.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Glad you had a good time here. Next year you can probably take your kids to the Trump Golf course fireworks. I found out late that they were having them on the 3rd and not the 4th. You can view them south of where you stayed without going all the way around the lake. I wouldn’t advise the 4th fireworks in Cornelius. It was my first time out on the lake that far from my slip at night and it was a little tricky navigating back with dark clouds and boats going in every which direction at different speeds. I saw a rope swing the other day in the cove across from the blue parrot I told you about. PM next year I’ll tell you where it is.

Smitty

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
667F1AE8-A4D8-4783-B012-6D929676C6EF.jpeg I am at Lake Norman this week. We are staying just about in the same cove with queens landing and the Mcrary boat launch which is about mile marker 16. Funny, we spent most most of the day today parked in a cove that was across the lake from the Blue Parrot. This lake is much clearer than the lake I usually boat in, Jordan lake. It’s nice to see your toes. The lake is definitely a good size lake. I used Navionics and it has helped along with the Wake Lake Norman app on my phone. I did seem to get turned around a few times. We did some exploring today, went to mile 2 and then turned around and went all the way back up to, I think, mile marker 25 or so.

The lake is very calm and not very congested this week. It sounds like the Monday - Friday after the fourth is a good week.
The attached photo is my view as I type this.

Last edited:

dnicholas47

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
BF10F7CC-2760-4FAB-A8D5-9A980094D5E1.jpeg Very nice @Smitty! This was our dock. Stuck out like a sore thumb so easy to find. Sounds like it’s right by you.

dnicholas47

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Weeb they had fireworks at Queens Landing. We all gathered on the top deck of the dock to watch. Boats everywhere lit up in the water. Awesome atmosphere. Unfortunately we should have noticed the boats stopped at the tree line. Didn’t see one damn firework.:banghead:

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
View attachment 78709 I am at Lake Norman this week. We are staying just about in the same cove with queens landing and the Mcrary boat launch which is about mile marker 16. Funny, we spent most most of the day today parked in a cove that was across the lake from the Blue Parrot. This lake is much clearer than the lake I usually boat in, Jordan lake. It’s nice to see your toes. The lake is definitely a good size lake. I used Navionics and it has helped along with the Wake Lake Norman app on my phone. I did seem to get turned around a few times. We did some exploring today, went to mile 2 and then turned around and went all the way back up to, I think, mile marker 25 or so.

The lake is very calm and not very congested this week. It sounds like the Monday - Friday after the fourth is a good week.
The attached photo is my view as I type this.
What's for lunch? I'm in concord for a conference! Lol

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Weeb they had fireworks at Queens Landing. We all gathered on the top deck of the dock to watch. Boats everywhere lit up in the water. Awesome atmosphere. Unfortunately we should have noticed the boats stopped at the tree line. Didn’t see one damn firework.:banghead:
We called there they said they weren’t doing them this year and other people said they weren’t doing them. Did they put on a big show or was it short.