• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Latch replacement piece

Bacchus_fl

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
image.jpg image.jpg A few weeks ago while I was in Largo, I had my first blowout. Fortunately, thanks to this community, I had it noodled so there was no major damage. The only damage was that one of the latches broke. Not sure what the piece is called or if I can buy just that piece. I attached some pictures. Any advice for replacing this piece or the entire latch would be great.

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Bacchus_fl

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Bacchus_fl Don't buy the Yamaha part unless you find it for the cheapest price. Those T-handle latches are made by White Cap and sold everywhere. Here are a few examples that are cheaper than $34.70. Also, for a few more dollars you can buy the locking version which is probably only useful on the ski locker to stop lazy theives.

Overtons - $24.99 http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=T-Handle-Non-Locking-Latch&i=87203
iBoats.com - $27 http://www.iboats.com/T-Handle-Latches/dm/view_id.1082680
Sailorsams.com - $14 http://www.sailorsams.com/Whitecap-T-Handle-Latch--Nylon-WhiteWhite--Non-Locking_p_6008.html

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Bacchus_fl

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
excellent! Thanks guys!

After looking at that Yamaha parts breakdown I am sure glad I had the noodles in place because that fiberglass lid is $450. that would have been a wallet stinger by itself but an even bigger deal is it would have ruined my day and possibly my entire week of boating in Key Largo. Instead all I had to do was reseat the plugs and carry on.

Bacchus_fl

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I might have that piece laying around, hope I didn't throw it out. I'll check.

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
IMG_20140825_180055.jpg IMG_20140825_180107.jpg Found it. Left over from my replacement I got from eBay.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Gym That is even better! Do you think I could just buy this piece instead of buying a whole new lock?
http://www.firstchoicemarine.com/p-36198-attwood-marine-short-pawl-18-straight-99609c6.aspx
Yes if the threads match so you would need to call them to find out what thread they are using but I would think they are pretty standard. If you don't know what thread is on your piece you can take it to Home Depot and find out what not thread will thread on to it.

Bacchus_fl

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@MOA_Chaser thanks for looking for that but I don't think that will work on mine because it has that star pattern post slot where as mine is threaded. @Gym that is a good idea. I cant find that item in stock anywhere though. I found an offset one and a straight one that is longer on ebay. I asked the seller if they carry the shorter straight pawl. Will forward link if I find one.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Bacchus_fl

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks @Gym. I already contacted first choice marine but they are out of stock and the item has been discontinued. I did not see the jms link. Hunt it doesn't give you the option to add it to your cart so I'm assuming it is out of stock there as well. I was going to just buy the offset one since I believe it would still work and it's only $3.40 but then they want $12 to ship it. At that price it seems like I'd be better off just buying the entire latch for $25 and keeping the other parts as spares.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks @Gym. I already contacted first choice marine but they are out of stock and the item has been discontinued. I did not see the jms link. Hunt it doesn't give you the option to add it to your cart so I'm assuming it is out of stock there as well. I was going to just buy the offset one since I believe it would still work and it's only $3.40 but then they want $12 to ship it. At that price it seems like I'd be better off just buying the entire latch for $25 and keeping the other parts as spares.
Yeah, I agree with your thought process. It sucks when you find an inexpensive part and an expensive shipping process. I called one place and asked if they could ship it USPS which cut the cost in half over UPS.

Bacchus_fl

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I contacted whitecap and they gave me the part number which is s-266a but then I had a hard time finding them anywhere. The couple places I did find them, one wanted $12 to ship a $3 part and the other had a $10 surcharge for any orders of less than $50.

I wrote back to whitecap and they will sell them to me directly for $2.79 each. I am going to buy myself a few just so I have back ups since I can foresee this happening again. My question is whether anybody else needs any or wants them for back up? @geiger41 I know you mentioned needing one. If so I can see if the shipping is cheap they can send them to me and I will forward to you or I can ask if he will accept multiple orders nudged I can forward you his email. They are very small and light so I can't image the cost would be more than a couple stamps for 1. Just let me know.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Good find @Bacchus_fl. What is the shipping cost from Whitecap?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other