• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Lateral Thruster 2.0

jahill151

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I know it’s still pretty early in the season, but Can anyone who has installed Lateral Thruster 2.0 on their 19’ boat share their opinion on the results?

Mine are on a 21' FSH, but I don't think that would make difference. Clearly worth it! In reverse, it's much easier to move the rear of the boat around to either side.

I have the prior version. Night and day

I just installed the 2.0 version on my 2019 Yamaha AR195 that already has Cobra Jet. I haven't had a chance to test them yet. Just in case anyone was wondering, It will work with Cobra Jet. I just had to raise the Cobra to the highest position. It will probably be a couple of weeks before I am able to test the 2.0.

I just installed the 2.0 version on my 2019 Yamaha AR195 that already has Cobra Jet. I haven't had a chance to test them yet. Just in case anyone was wondering, It will work with Cobra Jet. I just had to raise the Cobra to the highest position. It will probably be a couple of weeks before I am able to test the 2.0.
I will be interested to hear your results. When I have put the CJS in the highest postion, I felt like I lost a fair amount of forward steering control since very little of the fin was below the hull. I have no data, just feel.

2020FSH190 5 battery config 4 batteries stern/1 bow. Ref. Balance point/C.G.
TV modified for the 2.0 were included in the kit.

These are notes from October 10, 2021, 31 days after install and 15hrs. TT with the 2.0 config. I was out 7 more outings after I wrote this summary but after 1Nov. the docks are pulled and I use waders to recover the boat.

Overall, I trailer my boat each outing so what I desire most is control-ability while powering on to the trailer.

Disclaimer:
*Powering on is new to me as in the past I just used a rope or manually pulled the river boat or my Fishhawk on the trailer. Most DNR launches do not allow power loading so once the boat catches the bunks its winching from there.
*Not all of these maneuvers were monitored closely before 2.0 install.
* Most of the launches I use are on the east side of the lake, and our prevailing wind is usually from the SW. Most of my recoveries are a right turn in to the trailer.
*I am a newbie to Jetboats. Prior to this my experience to jets are 19-21ft river guide boats with tiller jet motors.
* I watch Alfred Montaner Black Point Marina ramp videos and try not to do what I see happening there. The alligator is a plus at BP.

On Movement I am noticing:

Low power(idle):

Steady, slower rate response to vertical (side to side) movement. More of what I would describe as a True Feel or anti-servo type of control with less bow wander when trailering. I still get bow movement or drift but I have noticed the overall control-ability a bit more predictable.

Low power to half reverse Steering Centered:
Less velocity in reverse speed but the starboard has less vertical axis movement when steering is centered which I consider a major plus. I am real conservative on reverse velocity/speed so giving up some of top reverse speed to me is not important.

Low power to half reverse:
Full Starboard-winds calm:

Notably better starboard control.

Full power:
Starboard-winds calm:

While waiting for a spot at the boat launch to pull the boat out, I was able to spin the boat on its axis through 720 degrees in what appeared to be a perfect circle(pirouette) at a fairly high velocity. I countered with full port, and it stopped the rotation. I did not perform a full power to port rotation.

Trailering Approach-no wind:

From the approach turn in to alignment with the trailer, a solid transition from the 90 degree turn to alignment with the trailer. What is noticeable is less vertical axis (a$$ swinging on overshooting) movement while transitioning in and out of neutral/reverse to gain parallel alignment with the trailer on approach. I am either idle or neutral only as early as I can on the approach. I am noticing that in neutral, I am not getting the turning tendency at slow approach speeds.

Trailering Approach-8 to 12 knot quartering tail wind:

When needed, course correction is better with slow to half reverse if I am undershooting the drift angle. I do get bow drift so there is a full right to full left maneuver to realign but I see the bow drift in all the boats I use, this boat happens to be much heavier.

Attachments

• IMG_5107.jpg
    IMG_5107.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 54
Thanks for the details. So overall you are happy with LT 2.0?

I am very happy with the low speed handling of my FSH190 with the 2.0 and modified TV's. For the type of boating I do, trolling with wake assist and launch/recovery/docking my boat control is very manageable.

I am very happy with the low speed handling of my FSH190 with the 2.0 and modified TV's. For the type of boating I do, trolling with wake assist and launch/recovery/docking my boat control is very manageable.
Thanks for the thorough review! I know this will benefit many.

Low power to half reverse Steering Centered:
Less velocity in reverse speed but the starboard has less vertical axis movement when steering is centered which I consider a major plus. I am real conservative on reverse velocity/speed so giving up some of top reverse speed to me is not important.

Thanks, very detailed!

I have a few questions if you don't mind.

What is "less vertical axis movement"?

What is your baseline? Are your comparisons against original TVs (not trimmed) or against TVLs (trimmed) or against complete stock setup (no TVs or LTs)?

I am trying to determine the impact of LT2s above what trimming TVs would provide alone.

At the same time I'm trying to understand the negative impacts. My two main concerns are...

How much less reverse thrust is there? Enough to easily fight 20 knot stern winds?

Since straight reverse will have some constant lateral thrust, would being close to a solid dock result in some push off that needs compensation with steering?

Also, how durable do they seem? Is reverse full throttling going to tear them apart?

Thanks!

If anyone has any experience with the TV2s with twin engine, please look at my questions. I'm guessing that the negative reverse impact will be less with twin engines since the inside nozzles are not impeded.

Disclaimer, I dont have the LT2.0 yet, been a bit lazy to buy them. I do have TV's without the LT cutout. However, I'm not sure how folks are saying that reverse thrust it affected to the point that its unusable, at least for twin engine boats when using the LT2.0's.

In this video " LT20-Reverse " JBP is in reverse, i don't see it affected at all in my opinion? Are people trying to do 15-20 mph in reverse?
That video is pretty indicative of how i backout and is plenty speed for me to back out of my docks where I live in the Gulf. 1 of my local ramps can get notorious with wind and current. Heck, its where I had my first YouTube moment. I accidentally did a full 360 between docks because I lost control coming up to the dock. No other boats around but it was still embarrassing.

Since the TV's it has been a piece of cake to handle around the dock. I could have waited, and I'm sure I would of gotten the hang of it without the TV's but i didnt want to. Next step is the LT's which can only improve my handling. I cant speak for others that might be in tougher situations, but backing out of docks is not something I need to do at full reverse.

Disclaimer, I dont have the LT2.0 yet, been a bit lazy to buy them. I do have TV's without the LT cutout. However, I'm not sure how folks are saying that reverse thrust it affected to the point that its unusable, at least for twin engine boats when using the LT2.0's.

In this video " LT20-Reverse " JBP is in reverse, i don't see it affected at all in my opinion? Are people trying to do 15-20 mph in reverse?
That video is pretty indicative of how i backout and is plenty speed for me to back out of my docks where I live in the Gulf. 1 of my local ramps can get notorious with wind and current. Heck, its where I had my first YouTube moment. I accidentally did a full 360 between docks because I lost control coming up to the dock. No other boats around but it was still embarrassing.

Since the TV's it has been a piece of cake to handle around the dock. I could have waited, and I'm sure I would of gotten the hang of it without the TV's but i didnt want to. Next step is the LT's which can only improve my handling. I cant speak for others that might be in tougher situations, but backing out of docks is not something I need to do at full reverse.
I have watched that video a lot and unfortunately I find it inconclusive at best. At worst it actually leaves me feeling less convinced.

He initially starts with the wheel hard starboard a few feet off the dock. This pivots him to port but unexpectedly also seems to start some backward motion. He straightens out by over correcting and then seems to coast the the way. Given the debris and bubbles kicked up on the port side even when the wheel was straight, I would expect something similar (but probably less} on starboard side due to the over correction. Once he's far enough back to see it, there's nothing there. This leaves me questioning the value and maybe the legitimacy of this video.
I have to entertain that a very plausible explanation for why there was some initial backward movement when steering was hard starboard and no visible starboard debris following an over correction as well as what we see on the port side when there's power applied is that there's no LT2 installed on the starboard side.
I need more video of straight back motion without and turning where we can see both sides.

I have watched that video a lot and unfortunately I find it inconclusive at best. At worst it actually leaves me feeling less convinced.

He initially starts with the wheel hard starboard a few feet off the dock. This pivots him to port but unexpectedly also seems to start some backward motion. He straightens out by over correcting and then seems to coast the the way. Given the debris and bubbles kicked up on the port side even when the wheel was straight, I would expect something similar (but probably less} on starboard side due to the over correction. Once he's far enough back to see it, there's nothing there. This leaves me questioning the value and maybe the legitimacy of this video.
I have to entertain that a very plausible explanation for why there was some initial backward movement when steering was hard starboard and no visible starboard debris following an over correction as well as what we see on the port side when there's power applied is that there's no LT2 installed on the starboard side.
I need more video of straight back motion without and turning where we can see both sides.
I'd like to see a video showing the stern of the boat (away from the dock) and the nozzle flow during turns at the first detent. Unless you're piloting the boat, it's hard to determine the effects of the 2.0 LT's. I'm really interested in the effect of the thruster that is not contributing to the turn. Is it working against the turn, or contributing to reverse movement. I already purchased my kit, but still weary about the benefits.

I'd like to see a video showing the stern of the boat (away from the dock) and the nozzle flow during turns at the first detent. Unless you're piloting the boat, it's hard to determine the effects of the 2.0 LT's. I'm really interested in the effect of the thruster that is not contributing to the turn. Is it working against the turn, or contributing to reverse movement. I already purchased my kit, but still weary about the benefits.
I look forward to hearing about your results. :)

I don't get it...after driving I/O's and outboards for years, the Yamaha's with articulating keel behaves very similar but with much quicker reaction and control without accessories - I can dock or maneuver much better with my Yamaha than I could with previous prop boats thanks to the ability to move into Fwd/Rev without the delay of a gear change. If I wanted real lateral control, I'd buy a boat with bow thrusters, twin engines, and joystick control - those things can move any direction in a 360. Do they make them in 21ft jet models?
:)

I don't get it...after driving I/O's and outboards for years, the Yamaha's with articulating keel behaves very similar but with much quicker reaction and control without accessories - I can dock or maneuver much better with my Yamaha than I could with previous prop boats thanks to the ability to move into Fwd/Rev without the delay of a gear change. If I wanted real lateral control, I'd buy a boat with bow thrusters, twin engines, and joystick control - those things can move any direction in a 360. Do they make them in 21ft jet models?
Nobody said the control was bad. I've only been out one season, and learned a lot, but it's easy to see that our boats have better maneuverability than most I/Os. It's okay to have something good and make it better, especially the part where you make other boat owners secretly wish their boats could do what yours does. Some not so secretly.

Stock these boats are fantastic. But with the LTs it's even better. I have zero complaints.

Thanks, very detailed!

I have a few questions if you don't mind.

What is "less vertical axis movement"?

What is your baseline? Are your comparisons against original TVs (not trimmed) or against TVLs (trimmed) or against complete stock setup (no TVs or LTs)?

I am trying to determine the impact of LT2s above what trimming TVs would provide alone.

At the same time I'm trying to understand the negative impacts. My two main concerns are...

How much less reverse thrust is there? Enough to easily fight 20 knot stern winds?

Since straight reverse will have some constant lateral thrust, would being close to a solid dock result in some push off that needs compensation with steering?

Also, how durable do they seem? Is reverse full throttling going to tear them apart?

Thanks!
I can speak to the durability piece with confidence . We've tested at max throttle on a 255 FSH E series (twin 250hp engines) for extended periods of time with no problems noted.

These parts are designed with solid side walls and laser sintered (welded) during the fabrication process. We believe they're going to serve the end user very well and if there's ever a strike (unlikely since they're situated above the hull) and any damage is noted we will replace the damaged part at no cost. We just ask for shipping to be covered.

Back