• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Launch problem

Hannibal

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Anyone else have trouble launching? I have a hard time getting my boat off of the trailer every time. I back the trailer in until the boat slides down the bow roller and the fenders are under water, climb on, reverse to back off and nothing. the back of the boat is free but I think the deep V keel up front at entry is hanging up on the keel pad on the trailer. If I rock the boat side to side for a bit, it'll finally back off. If I back in any further, the truck's rear wheels will be in salt water. What am I doing wrong and what do you guys do?

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Anyone else have trouble launching? I have a hard time getting my boat off of the trailer every time. I back the trailer in until the boat slides down the bow roller and the fenders are under water, climb on, reverse to back off and nothing. the back of the boat is free but I think the deep V keel up front at entry is hanging up on the keel pad on the trailer. If I rock the boat side to side for a bit, it'll finally back off. If I back in any further, the truck's rear wheels will be in salt water. What am I doing wrong and what do you guys do?
You can try to brush your bunks. I usually spray lithium grease on the every now and then

Hannibal

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I thought about trying some Liquid Rollers or similar on the bunks but it breaks free of the bunks and loads fine on return. Maybe I'll try some lube on the keel pad itself.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I thought about trying some Liquid Rollers or similar on the bunks but it breaks free of the bunks and loads fine on return. Maybe I'll try some lube on the keel pad itself.
I do it after I pull out of the water that way it's on the next time I unload

Earfixr

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Shallow angle launches sometime require backing in deeper. Half of my launch locations put my tires in the water. Not a big deal if you wash the truck down with the trailer when you're done. Silicone spray lube on the crapet works wonders too and wont wash off easily.

Can you raise your trailer ball height? That would increase your launch angle slightly. Momentum may be another trick if you can use a sudden stop to offer a final push as it starts to float. Finding a steeper launch is the easiest solution but not always an easy option.

Atlas135

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
There is a way to increase the reverse thrust. I believe its by putting it all the way in reverse then using the no wake mode toggle. I believe you toggle it up and it raises the RPM higher then you get with just full reverse.. I saw it in the video or owners manual..I forget which on it was.

Crlos16

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Hannibal

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks for the ideas! I might go out again today and I'll give these ideas a try. I have some silicone spray I can use on the bunks as well. If that doesn't work, the EZ Sliders might me next.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Silicone spray, and abrupt brake application of the tow vehicle once ready to launch help me greatly. I use zero power and these two techniques and the boat is set free. Then pull ropes to bring to dock to board.

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Y
There is a way to increase the reverse thrust. I believe its by putting it all the way in reverse then using the no wake mode toggle. I believe you toggle it up and it raises the RPM higher then you get with just full reverse.. I saw it in the video or owners manual..I forget which on it was.
You're right on that. It's what I use on the shallower ramps. You just set the reverse in the first position and toggle the wake mode. It'll get you down the bunks.

Bruce Lee

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I use a bungee. As I get to where my 190 fish starts to lift, I slam my brakes. It slides off and the bungee (measured) lets it slide back and slowly brings it back. Everyone at the launch will freak out, but I typically launch by myself. Flawless. Warning...do not lube your bunks if doing this.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sometimes you gotta get the wheels wet, unless the ramp is really steep. Getting to the hub / axle is common. On my river launch (very shallow) I needed to get my excursion in until the water was about an inch from coming in the trunk area. I'm thinking about adding a 1-2' hitch extension for the short tow.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I use a bungee. As I get to where my 190 fish starts to lift, I slam my brakes. It slides off and the bungee (measured) lets it slide back and slowly brings it back. Everyone at the launch will freak out, but I typically launch by myself. Flawless. Warning...do not lube your bunks if doing this.
That is brilliant.

--

Hannibal

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I've been backing in a little deeper. Just enough to get the truck's rear tires in the water seems to give enough depth to reverse power the boat off the trailer. The boat is off the bunks but the keel sits on the keel guard on the trailer's cross member. A little bit deeper helps it slide off. I haven't used a bungee but a dock rope tied to the winch keeps the boat from drifting away if the keel doesn't. Thanks again for the ideas. I mostly launch by myself and I'm getting pretty good at it with these tips.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Soo... i dont have a keel gaurd.. and i bought an after market aluminum trailer a few years ago that gives me more room between the bottom of the boat and the cross members.... but is you boat so close to the cross members that the thickness of a keel gaurd with cause it to touch? Is that how all of that year boats sit on the trailers? Viewing it in my head it seems awfully close.... but then again most stuff i view in my head seems off!!

Tailwaters

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Bronze is on the right track. OEM trailer is pretty basic and not a custom design. Therefore the boat sits a little high on the trailer due to the cross member. A custom trailer can have a lower cross member in the rear which allows for the bunks to sit lower which in turn allows you to float the boat off the trailer in shallower water. I was planning on looking at mine to see if I could move the bunks to lower it when I pull it out of storage. The key will be clearance? Not sure what there is without looking

Hannibal

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The keel guard I'm referring to is a nylon block bolted to the cross member on the trailer. I don't have a keel guard on the boat. It doesn't look like there should be a clearance issue with the boat sitting on the trailer but when the boat floats off of the bunks, the bow dips down pretty low on the winch roller with the trailer angled up the ramp. Maybe I need a lower ball mount. Or a longer straight mount. The trailer sits level when hitched up to my 4x2 F250. It's manageable as it is but I'd like to make it right short of buying a better trailer.
Did Yamaha go a little deeper on the V a few years ago and not change the specs on the trailer to accommodate?

Tailwaters

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I would imagine the trailer is just a stock trailer they use. Nothing special. Its not a terrible trailer all.in all. Just need some fine tuning. I'm going to get my bunks adjusted and bolt them.so they no longer swivel. That should solve the misalignment issue I have .

Cade Funderburk

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am having the same trouble launching my 2020 ar195. I only launch in saltwater and do not like to get my truck wheels wet. My ball hitch is about 2 inches higher than level, so i am wondering if a lower ball would help by getting more surface area in the water. The Keel gaurd Hannibal mentioned above may be to blame as well. I am wondering if he solved the problem. Anybody have success lowering the ball hitch height?