• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

LectroTab Trim Tabs Shop Tour

JeffVans

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I finally got around to picking up my trim tabs from LectroTab. Since I only live about an hour away, I opted to pick them up in person. I had a great conversation with Russ and Dan about how they are designed and manufactured. Here are some pics for you to enjoy and see what goes on inside of your actuators. Since these are sealed units when finished, most people will never have the opportunity to see what makes these things work!!!

Inside of an empty actuator. You will notice the wires as well as the breather hose in the wire loom.

Here is the rod that is spun to move your actuators in and out. Interesting note, once it gets to either end (full extension or retraction) it free wheels so you don't burn out your motors if the switch were to get stuck.

This is a demo cutaway of an actuator

This is the motor that drives the rod that extends and retracts your actuators.

This is what the motor spins. The planetary gears in the housing. I asked about them using plastic instead of metal. They said they are plenty strong and haven't had any problems with them...as a bonus, they are WAY quieter than using metal gears.

EVERY actuator that is built is tested 3 times to ensure proper function.

The tabs themselves (no pictures) are made locally as well, there is a metal fab shop just down the road from LectroTab that manufactures those.

As an added bonus to the post... Here is a lesser known product from LectroTab called the Troll Buddy used for slow speed trolling. If you know some non-jet boat people let them know about this awesome product for their boats!!!

BIG THANKS to Russ and Dan for all of the information and allowing me to snap the pictures to share with the forum!!!

Last edited:

gthh

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
And so where’s the magic!

JeffVans

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
And so where’s the magic!
Honestly...in that little electric motor, with the help of the push rod...or more accurately tiny little boat fairies making your life better!!! Hahaha

JeffVans

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Disclaimer I added to the FB group posts...

Disclaimer (since they seem to be needed for EVERYTHING nowadays): I have ZERO affiliation or financial interest with them and only received a hat, T-shirt, some screws, and electrical connectors from them for making this post on the forum. I’m just trying to support an AWESOME company that has some GREAT employees!!! I paid full price for my kit and am installing it myself.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah, but you got swag. Obviously it swayed you.

I'm discounting everything positive you said.

(kidding of course--awesome writeup!)

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Some of the expensive inboard boats use downward facing "surf tabs" to control waves and create more displacement value - did they say anything about using their trim tabs in that manner at all? In my mind you would just need a larger plate and an actuator that allowed for much lower position. That would be a huge bonus for us jet boaters!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Some of the expensive inboard boats use downward facing "surf tabs" to control waves and create more displacement value - did they say anything about using their trim tabs in that manner at all? In my mind you would just need a larger plate and an actuator that allowed for much lower position. That would be a huge bonus for us jet boaters!
Retractable (possibly automated) wake wedge in development right there :D :D

JeffVans

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
No, and I asked specifically about wake products in their future. They had one customer do some custom stuff, but nothing on their end yet...I do feel like I put a pretty good bug and sales pitch in their ear about why they should look into doing something along those lines. So, I wouldn't be too suprised to see something down the line.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
No, and I asked specifically about wake products in their future. They had one customer do some custom stuff, but nothing on their end yet...I do feel like I put a pretty good bug and sales pitch in their ear about why they should look into doing something along those lines. So, I wouldn't be too suprised to see something down the line.
Did you tell them how much money we're willing to spend for that perfect wave!? WAY more than on a comfortable ride! Maybe I should call them... :)

JeffVans

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Did you tell them how much money we're willing to spend for that perfect wave!? WAY more than on a comfortable ride! Maybe I should call them... :)
LOL yes. that's what I was talking to them about. Most of their business is direct to boat manufacturers, not the aftermarket industry, so I don't think they were following wake stuff too closely. I was telling them how popular wakesurfing was getting and that other people are making a lot of money off wake products. So, we'll have to see if they start looking into it.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
So update - I sent an extensive email request to Lectrotab and got back a REALLY interesting email - I'm waiting to confirm if I can share with the forum.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
thanks for sharing, great info from a company that has provided good service to our group,

Don't the 2021 x yamahas have the wakebooster with motorized deployment ?

JeffVans

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
So update - I sent an extensive email request to Lectrotab and got back a REALLY interesting email - I'm waiting to confirm if I can share with the forum.
;) maybe with teamwork, we can get them to make a new interesting new product!!! lol

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Any mention of another group buy?