• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

LED lights acting weird after I just installed

bleudyno

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I ordered the Shorelandr LED tail lights and after I installed them and checked functionality, the driver's side is acting weird. When I turn on the lights, the license plate light does not turn on. When the blinker is on, the license plate light blinks. Do you think this is something to do with the new LED lamp? Or something to do with my trailer's wiring? Anyone know how to diagnose this issue?

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Did you plug them into their correct sides? There's a driver's side and a passenger side.

bleudyno

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did you plug them into their correct sides? There's a driver's side and a passenger side.
yea, the driver's side unit is the one with the license plate light. I have them both on the correct sides. The passenger side unit works correctly.

Bizywk

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Did you figure this one out?

Last edited:

bleudyno

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Shorelandr sent me a replacement unit that i received yesterday. Will install later today to see if the issue was fixed

Bizywk

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Awesome.

Just to be sure, after you de-install your current light(s), you might want to use a meter or test light to validate your wiring before you install the new one(s).

bleudyno

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So...I tested the replacement and I am still having the same issue. Don't have a clue about electrical wiring but could this be a bad ground issue on the trailer wiring? Not sure how to proceed from here.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
White wire-ground
Brown wire-tail light & license light
Yellow wire-turn signal

bleudyno

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
White wire-ground
Brown wire-tail light & license light
Yellow wire-turn signal
The issue is that I'm not sure if there is an issue with the trailer wiring somewhere inside the chassis rails. Don't know how to access the wires to diagnose the issue.

Bizywk

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Do you have an Ohm Meter or Automotive test light?

bleudyno

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Unfortunately I do not. What wires would I be testing anyway if I did have one to figure out what the issue is?

Bizywk

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I know these problems can be frustrating, especially if you don't have the tools and good electrical background to fall back on. No problem though - the folks on this forum are willing to help. :)

Let's back up a bit and start over. I think we approached this with the assumption that you had an electrical background. I apologize.

With respect my friend, you've really been describing symptoms that are most common with a miss-wire situation (It really sounds like you mixed up the yellow and brown wires on the driver's side). That's why @Babin Farms sent you the standardized color code and I suggested you actually test the lights in case the trailer had some unusual wiring. The light you sent back was likely still good. Ground issues are indeed a common nuisance and a Go-To fault, but with incandescent bulbs, grounding issues generally cause an intermittent or failure to light. With LED's it gets a little trickier sometimes due to polarity issues, but they aren't likely to cause the symptoms you described. All is good because you can troubleshoot all of these issues I mentioned with an inexpensive automotive test light from any box or automotive store. https://www.amazon.com/WINAMOO-Automotive-Extended-Stainless-Circuits/dp/B08NWQWQBZ/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=automotive+test+light&qid=1616714749&sr=8-9

@Babin Farms gave you the standardized wiring color code. Print it and take it to the trailer with you. Test the 12v Automotive Tester the first time by putting the clamp end on the negative terminal of your battery and the sharp end on the positive terminal. The light should light fairly brightly. That's a closed and correct circuit. In essence, that's all your doing at the end of the tail light wires as well. Simply connect the ground clip of the test light or the negative lead of your voltmeter to a clean/bare metal area of your trailer chassis and activate the light circuit you want to test (Turn signal, brake, etc) from inside the vehicle, then poke the exposed trailer wire with the sharp end to check to see if you get the voltage on the correct wire as indicated by a light or a 12vdc reading on the meter. You'll know its working if it glows or blinks according to the light circuit you're testing. Do one light circuit at a time until you know which wires do what. Side Note: Also watch for a dim light indication. If you get that on clean wires with good contact, shout back out on this thread - we can help you fix that too. If you don't get the proper voltages or they are intermittent, that suggests that you have a broken wire or a ground issue which can be verified easily by going back to validate it's coming out of the vehicle correctly. If you ever confirm a ground issue on the trailer (i.e. the vehicle lights properly, but your trailer wires don't), you can simply chase down where the white wire connects to the trailer (Probably with a lug under a big bold near the tongue). Look for broken strands in your wire or corrosion which can be fixed by pulling the bolt, wire brushing and reinstallation, perhaps with some dielectric grease if you want.

If your tests on the tail light wires work out right away and you validate that your trailer is wired with the standardized color code @Babin Farms gave you, then just connect the wires to the light per the manufacturer's instructions.

If I failed to explain it properly, you might want to check out YouTube. I'm pretty sure that there will be a video that can show it much clearer. A photo really is worth a thousand words. One other solution to consider: If this isn't in your comfort zone, for safety reasons it may be best to just to take it to a local trailer company or even a quickie repair shop like Car-X, Meineke, or Midas. Most shops will even let you watch from a safe distance so you can learn with an live instructor. I've learned a lot from the professionals that way. You certainly don't want to be on the road with a fix that didn't hold. Good Luck my friend.

Last edited:

Lawman25

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So...I tested the replacement and I am still having the same issue. Don't have a clue about electrical wiring but could this be a bad ground issue on the trailer wiring? Not sure how to proceed from here.
I have the exact same problem with a set I installed 2 seasons ago. Checked and double checked everything, and I know electrical pretty well, then had an electrician buddy check it. Nothing wrong. Gave up and just learned to live with it. If you do figure it out I'd appreciate you letting me know.

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
So I ordered the Shorelandr LED tail lights and after I installed them and checked functionality, the driver's side is acting weird. When I turn on the lights, the license plate light does not turn on. When the blinker is on, the license plate light blinks. Do you think this is something to do with the new LED lamp? Or something to do with my trailer's wiring? Anyone know how to diagnose this issue?
Where did you order these from?

bleudyno

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks so much! I will see if I can find the time to troubleshoot this but this helps greatly!

I know these problems can be frustrating, especially if you don't have the tools and good electrical background to fall back on. No problem though - the folks on this forum are willing to help. :)

Let's back up a bit and start over. I think we approached this with the assumption that you had an electrical background. I apologize.

With respect my friend, you've really been describing symptoms that are most common with a miss-wire situation (It really sounds like you mixed up the yellow and brown wires on the driver's side). That's why @Babin Farms sent you the standardized color code and I suggested you actually test the lights in case the trailer had some unusual wiring. The light you sent back was likely still good. Ground issues are indeed a common nuisance and a Go-To fault, but with incandescent bulbs, grounding issues generally cause an intermittent or failure to light. With LED's it gets a little trickier sometimes due to polarity issues, but they aren't likely to cause the symptoms you described. All is good because you can troubleshoot all of these issues I mentioned with an inexpensive automotive test light from any box or automotive store. https://www.amazon.com/WINAMOO-Automotive-Extended-Stainless-Circuits/dp/B08NWQWQBZ/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=automotive+test+light&qid=1616714749&sr=8-9

@Babin Farms gave you the standardized wiring color code. Print it and take it to the trailer with you. Test the 12v Automotive Tester the first time by putting the clamp end on the negative terminal of your battery and the sharp end on the positive terminal. The light should light fairly brightly. That's a closed and correct circuit. In essence, that's all your doing at the end of the tail light wires as well. Simply connect the ground clip of the test light or the negative lead of your voltmeter to a clean/bare metal area of your trailer chassis and activate the light circuit you want to test (Turn signal, brake, etc) from inside the vehicle, then poke the exposed trailer wire with the sharp end to check to see if you get the voltage on the correct wire as indicated by a light or a 12vdc reading on the meter. You'll know its working if it glows or blinks according to the light circuit you're testing. Do one light circuit at a time until you know which wires do what. Side Note: Also watch for a dim light indication. If you get that on clean wires with good contact, shout back out on this thread - we can help you fix that too. If you don't get the proper voltages or they are intermittent, that suggests that you have a broken wire or a ground issue which can be verified easily by going back to validate it's coming out of the vehicle correctly. If you ever confirm a ground issue on the trailer (i.e. the vehicle lights properly, but your trailer wires don't), you can simply chase down where the white wire connects to the trailer (Probably with a lug under a big bold near the tongue). Look for broken strands in your wire or corrosion which can be fixed by pulling the bolt, wire brushing and reinstallation, perhaps with some dielectric grease if you want.

If your tests on the tail light wires work out right away and you validate that your trailer is wired with the standardized color code @Babin Farms gave you, then just connect the wires to the light per the manufacturer's instructions.

If I failed to explain it properly, you might want to check out YouTube. I'm pretty sure that there will be a video that can show it much clearer. A photo really is worth a thousand words. One other solution to consider: If this isn't in your comfort zone, for safety reasons it may be best to just to take it to a local trailer company or even a quickie repair shop like Car-X, Meineke, or Midas. Most shops will even let you watch from a safe distance so you can learn with an live instructor. I've learned a lot from the professionals that way. You certainly don't want to be on the road with a fix that didn't hold. Good Luck my friend.

bleudyno

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the exact same problem with a set I installed 2 seasons ago. Checked and double checked everything, and I know electrical pretty well, then had an electrician buddy check it. Nothing wrong. Gave up and just learned to live with it. If you do figure it out I'd appreciate you letting me know.
Does anyone with a Shorelandr trailer have the LED lights now after replacement the stock ones? Anyone else experiencing this issue? It is a direct plug and play and I would assume it should work correctly.

ChrisM

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Maybe back up to the beginning.
Did you original lights work to begin with? Were you simply upgrading to LED?
Can you post pics of your original lights, if you have them, your new lights, and the wiring you connected to?

bleudyno

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Original lights worked normally and still do when I plug them in now. The connector on the LED lights is the same exactly connector as the original ones so its supposed to be just plug and play.

Maybe back up to the beginning.
Did you original lights work to begin with? Were you simply upgrading to LED?
Can you post pics of your original lights, if you have them, your new lights, and the wiring you connected to?

ChrisM

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Post pictures. Life is always better with pictures. :winkingthumbsup"
Were there directions? I'm wondering if by some starnge chance a load resistor might be needed.