• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

LED lights acting weird after I just installed

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
It's not a ground issue if the license plate flashes when you put the the signal on, it's the wrong wiring. You may have the wrong replacement lights? If your stock lights work properly, nothing is wrong with your wiring.

I plan to order the upgrade kit from my local dealer - email Shorland'r with your trailer VIN and they will tell you the part number you need for your lights. There is a kit for my trailer that includes the left/right lights plus the 3-light bar in the center to switch to LED. You may simply have the wrong one that uses a different plug layout.

Also what plug style do you have on your trailer? 7-way blade RV style or 4/5-pin flat connector? The colour codes are different on the 7-way.

bleudyno

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That could be the issue. Never thought that there would be a different part for the light - just thought they'd all be the same. I'll see if i can do some research and find out.

I have the 7 pin round plug for my trailer connector.

It's not a ground issue if the license plate flashes when you put the the signal on, it's the wrong wiring. You may have the wrong replacement lights? If your stock lights work properly, nothing is wrong with your wiring.

I plan to order the upgrade kit from my local dealer - email Shorland'r with your trailer VIN and they will tell you the part number you need for your lights. There is a kit for my trailer that includes the left/right lights plus the 3-light bar in the center to switch to LED. You may simply have the wrong one that uses a different plug layout.

Also what plug style do you have on your trailer? 7-way blade RV style or 4/5-pin flat connector? The colour codes are different on the 7-way.

bleudyno

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Damn, I was optimistic that maybe that I just had the wrong part number but it looks like the part number is correct. Back to square one.....

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Damn, I was optimistic that maybe that I just had the wrong part number but it looks like the part number is correct. Back to square one.....
Well that sucks...I want to upgrade to LED but if I have to end up cutting and soldering wires, I'll just buy the lights at the local auto parts store for half the price.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Does anyone with a Shorelandr trailer have the LED lights now after replacement the stock ones? Anyone else experiencing this issue? It is a direct plug and play and I would assume it should work correctly.
I replaced my stock (incandescent) lamps with LED's about a month ago.. no problems. If the previous lamps were working properly before the upgrade, retrace your steps. My new lamps had different color wires, so make sure you follow the diagram on the new lamps. Don't get caught up trying to match the wire colors. Use a DVOM or a test light to confirm what circuit you are working on. No matter where you buy the lights, they operate the same. Start over, you will figure it out. NOTE: I ordered my LED's from Etrailer, and they were not plug and play, I had to wire them, and the wires did not match.

Last edited:

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
No matter where you buy the lights, they operate the same. Start over, you will figure it out. NOTE: I ordered my LED's from Etrailer, and they were not plug and play, I had to wire them, and the wires did not match.
He bought LED replacements from Shoreland'r so they should just plug in to the stock wiring which is plug and play. That's why I don't get why they don't work when the stock lights do. I want to do the same thing but not if it means I have to cut and re-wire anyway.

ChrisM

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
The replacement lights I'm seeing have a triangle molded plug on the end.
For the sake of asking, do the plugs allow you to swap the lights from left to right and see what happens?

bleudyno

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The lights I bought have the same plug as the stock lights so i thought they would just plug into the existing plug and work correctly. I suppose i could very well try to swap sides and see if they work correctly. If it does work then I’d just have to swap the license plate to the other side. Will give it a try but probably won’t be able to get to it until next week. Will update as soon as i can.

bleudyno

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is getting me so frustrated. So I tried swapping the lights left and right and when I plug the left side tail light into the right side, everything works as normal but when the right side is plugged into the left side, it's still not right. When I push the brakes, only the small little LED on the end of it lights up - the whole unit is supposed to light up for the brakes. Same goes with the blinker, only the small LED on the end blinks when its supposed to be the main light. I don't know if anyone has paid attention to the harness coming out of the trailer but if anyone come compare mine with yours maybe I could figure something out. Otherwise I'm stuck because now the stock incandescent light does the same thing. I need some help, this is driving me crazy!!

harness4.jpg
harness3.jpg

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Where are you located? Maybe someone can come by & help out.

bleudyno

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Boat is located in Torrance, CA.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
This is getting me so frustrated. So I tried swapping the lights left and right and when I plug the left side tail light into the right side, everything works as normal but when the right side is plugged into the left side, it's still not right. When I push the brakes, only the small little LED on the end of it lights up - the whole unit is supposed to light up for the brakes. Same goes with the blinker, only the small LED on the end blinks when its supposed to be the main light. I don't know if anyone has paid attention to the harness coming out of the trailer but if anyone come compare mine with yours maybe I could figure something out. Otherwise I'm stuck because now the stock incandescent light does the same thing. I need some help, this is driving me crazy!!

View attachment 146446
View attachment 146449
I'm not trying to be funny here, but do you know how to use a test light or a voltmeter? Assuming you never had this problem before you decided to upgrade to LED, and the incandescent WERE working properly, it's probably not with the trailer wiring. Now that the incandescent are not working properly, have you checked your trailer plug? Just a guess. You need to verify the circuits using a test light and connect accordingly.

bleudyno

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes, I know that I should use a voltmeter to test the wiring but being that my boat and trailer are about 11 months old, I thought that I couldn't already have a wiring problem. I did take a look at all the harness plugs from the front to the back. Where it comes out from the front of the trailer and splits down to either side of the trailer rails, I did find that the plugs were not securely plugged in. There was some corrosion on the front plugs since I do run my boat in salt water. I cleaned them up and plugged them back in and wrapped them up to protect them in the future but I still had the same issue. I have a volt meter coming soon so I guess that's my next step. Shorelandr says this issue isn't covered under warranty so I'll have to trouble shoot it once I get the meter. To be continued.......

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Oh man I just ordered these lights too. Hope I don't run into the same issue. Granted if I do I'll just cut off the connectors, solder them in, then wrap them in heatshrink tubing.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Is the triangular plug designed so you can only plug it in one way?

If that's the left light, you have the right colour of wires - white ground, brown marker, yellow left brake. I'm guessing the trailer wiring is wrong somehow. I figured it would be a fully assembled harness in the trailer, but perhaps only the wires are assembled, and the plug at the tongue is wired by hand? If so, someone swapped a couple wires.

ZGhost

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The LED lights sent to you could be defective, did you ask for a replacement? Might be worth a try.

bleudyno

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes, I got a replacement and it still the same issure. Shorelandr is actually sending me a new harness free of charge so hopefully that will fix it.

The LED lights sent to you could be defective, did you ask for a replacement? Might be worth a try.

tatitopace

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Yes, I got a replacement and it still the same issure. Shorelandr is actually sending me a new harness free of charge so hopefully that will fix it.
If the harness doesn't solve the problem, check the plug connector on your towing vehicle. I swapped my lights to all led and worked great for a few months. Then out of no where the 7 pin/4 pin connector on my truck went bad internally causing the running lights and brake lights would blink but not all the time. Went through all the wiring and tested at the plug connector on my truck which didn't really show anything abnormal but talking to a few friends that had the same issue and just swapped the connector and everything works like normal!

Attachments

bleudyno

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Already tried with two different vehicles - same issue. Just received the new harness from Shorelandr. Need to test it and see if it makes any difference.

If the harness doesn't solve the problem, check the plug connector on your towing vehicle. I swapped my lights to all led and worked great for a few months. Then out of no where the 7 pin/4 pin connector on my truck went bad internally causing the running lights and brake lights would blink but not all the time. Went through all the wiring and tested at the plug connector on my truck which didn't really show anything abnormal but talking to a few friends that had the same issue and just swapped the connector and everything works like normal!

tatitopace

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Already tried with two different vehicles - same issue. Just received the new harness from Shorelandr. Need to test it and see if it makes any difference.
Definitely plug and test before running all the wires and wasting time! Hope that's what the problem is! If not, after market led tail lights and led center running lights that I got from Amazon work great and were cheap!