• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

LED Strip Lighting - What do you like?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am planning some interior lighting upgrades. I am curious what strip lighting solutions have worked well for others. I will be using short, less than 3' pieces and have no concern about soldering the connections.

Thanks

cep022

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have 18 strips from http://www.xkglow.com/. With the wifi controller and I am very pleased with them.
Most of the strips I kept the stock plugs. Only a few I soldered the connections. As they were right under the seat and did not want to cause damage.
One thing is insure you get extra extensions.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I didn't find any "kit" solutions that didn't involve some cutting/soldering. And I also found I was having to adapt my install to what I had instead of the other way around. So if soldering is no big deal for you, I would buy a spool of RGB on Ebay for probably less than $25 that includes the basic multi function controller. It is easy enough to adapt it to fit rings or cupholders, as well as strip area where you can hide it indirect. These lights are bright and offensive if you have to look at them, so keeping them indirect is something you will appreciate, @Bruce . I still like putting them inside the cupholders better than a ring under the lip. If daytime accent is your goal, then by all means, let them show. But if your wanting mood/accent lighting at night, try to hide them indirect. They do well on rings behind the speakers, but that is a hugh amount of light as well and not so indirect really, you will be looking for the dimmer and even then, it won't get as dim as you may want it.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

cane.mba

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
No worries, I could resist a little jab!

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Bruce here is what I did for my installation. I went with a single color (blue) strip for my installation. I did this back in 2011 and everything has held up very well, everything is still working just like the day I installed it.

I used a total of 8 12" strips of blue LED lights which I purchased from amazon, http://www.amazon.com/Truck-Flexible-Wa ... 299&sr=8-1, currently you get 4 strips for $4.16 which includes shipping, so $8.32 for 8 LED strips. These LED strips are silicon encased with pigtails so you can either solder of crimp on your power wires and mount with provided double sided tape. I put 6 on the interior (2 in the bow, 1 by the driver, 1 by the passenger, and 2 on the engine hatch) and 2 under the swim deck cushions. I ran an individual pair of wires from each LED strip to the helm compartment and mounted them to a terminal strip. There are different ways to wire the LED's, I just choose to run individual wires. For power I split the power coming out the courtesy light circuit breaker into three feeds; factory courtesy lights, interior LEDs and swim deck LEDs. The interior LEDs are turned on/off from one switch, the swim deck LEDs are turned on/off from another switch, factory courtesy lights still work the same. This way I can turn the interior LEDs on while underway and not have the swim deck LEDs on.

Bow LEDs
LED bow.JPG

LED driver side
LED driver.JPG

LED Middle view
LED middle.JPG

LED engine compartment
LED aft.JPG

LED swim deck
LED swim deck.JPG