• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Life jackets for dogs

ShireRider

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
When do dogs need life jackets? Do they get hot in them? Do you have any experience or recommendations? Sorry I don’t have a better way of asking, I love my dogs & want to take them on the boat. One would be fine, the other is really clumsy. Lol.

I’ve had dogs and boats all my life and have never put them in a life jacket. I’ve never seen a dog drown or even get in trouble.

That said, if you’re worried about the clumsy one, I doubt a life jacket would hurt. Just make sure it fits properly.

I've been wanting to do the same. I just bought this life jacket. I also bought some boots so his claws don't tear up the seats. ?

Vivaglory New Sports Style Ripstop Dog Life Jacket Safety Vest with Superior Buoyancy & Rescue Handle https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01K4TULZ0/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_BRM6XQN7D1P3GGAP3RH1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Hcpet Dog Boots Breathable Dog Shoes for Small Medium Large Dogs, Anti-Slip Puppy Booties Paw Protector with Reflective Straps 4Pcs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08LKD8T1X/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_DGWERS8PQA45Q6AYWADW?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I've been wanting to do the same. I just bought this life jacket. I also bought some boots so his claws don't tear up the seats. ?

Vivaglory New Sports Style Ripstop Dog Life Jacket Safety Vest with Superior Buoyancy & Rescue Handle https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01K4TULZ0/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_BRM6XQN7D1P3GGAP3RH1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Hcpet Dog Boots Breathable Dog Shoes for Small Medium Large Dogs, Anti-Slip Puppy Booties Paw Protector with Reflective Straps 4Pcs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08LKD8T1X/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_DGWERS8PQA45Q6AYWADW?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
The boots are a great idea! Please record & share your dogs reaction to the boots the first time you put them on. When I was a kid, ours looked like one of those lizards that picks it’s feet up off the sand.

like this:

I think that dog life-jacket use depend on the type of boat and where the boating is done. They often are used with bigger boats and boating in coastal waters.

One reason to use a life jacket is to be able to lift the dog back onto the boat if he/she falls overboard.

Jim

Great question. Here’s my experience. I have found that life jackets help in three ways. 1) To let them swim without wearing themselves out. (They’re just like us, you know?) 2) To help you lift them back in the boat (as mentioned earlier) and 3) I tie a rope to the handle of the life jacket if we’re anchored at a place with a current. They won’t drift away and I can pull them back in. Also, in those situations, I tie their toys that they fetch to a rope as well.

As soon as my boat stops, the dogs jump in. So I either make sure they have life jackets on to begin with, or I have them tied to a rope on the boat so they don’t have to wear the life jacket on the boat. It depends on the situation.

Regarding the booties. I was concerned about my seats too and bought the booties. My dog’s nails are not trimmed to a smooth finish. Turns out though that they have never ripped any of the seat material. They jump all over it and it’s not an issue. Did not need the booties.

One more thing, if you don’t have carpet or Seadek, be careful of a hot floor.

Hope this helps some…

Last edited:
My labradoodle didn't seem to be bothered at all wearing one in the unbearable August heat in Alabama. She's a great swimmer, but we boat in an area with strong currents that can pick up quickly sometimes. Like stated before, the handle on her back also helped a lot getting her back into the boat.

3) I tie a rope to the handle of the life jacket if we’re anchored at a place with a current. They won’t drift away and I can pull them back in. Also, in those situations, I tie their toys that they fetch to a rope as well.

This is a great idea!

Jim

If boating in a busy lake I’d say yes they need a life jacket. Yes, dogs can drown.

Yes they can drown. Finding a doberman on the bottom with 4 feet pointing towards the surface will ruin a scuba dive quickly.

Yes they can drown. Finding a doberman on the bottom with 4 feet pointing towards the surface will ruin a scuba dive quickly.
That’s horrible!!!!

My mother saved a dog this year that got in their pool. She just happened to be in their kitchen and looked in the backyard when she saw a dog frantically trying to survive. It was going under several times when they rushed out to save it. Thankfully they got to it in time. She said the dog was exhausted and would have certainly drowned had she not seen it.

There are several drownings of dogs posted each boating season on my lakes FB page. Not only does it help them stay afloat but if you get a high visibility life jacket it may just save their life by being spotted by other boaters should they fall off the boat or wander into the water from land. A few years ago there was a boxer that got chopped up by a boat near a popular island everyone goes to on our lake. People had to watch that carnage unfold.

Don’t forget about electrocution and leakage from dock power or marine power. Silent killers.

My labridoodle Willow is a very timid and clumsy dog so we always put on on her and as some have stated it makes it easier to spot and pick up out of the water.
A chocolate labridoodle is hard to spot in the water

This is a great idea!

Jim
Thanks! I put a zip tie around the toy and tie the rope to the zip tie. I secure the ropes with toys to the rear cleat on one side of the boat, and the dog ropes to the rear cleat on the other side. It helps prevent somewhat with getting all tangled up. Probably some better ideas out there though. Maybe using the tower somehow.(?)

Yep, last year was his first year boating. Would not let him go without it, but he is like my son. (As most peoples dogs are) Doesn't seem to bother him, and helps tremendously if you have to lift them up. I agree with comment above, he is nearly 100lbs and his nails aren't always trimmed up. The seats are a lot more durable them you think

Attachments

• 20210606_143937.jpg
    20210606_143937.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 20
We have been boating with dogs for about 30 years. During that time we have had labs, Austrailian Shepard, Labradoodle, and other. Most of these dogs swim well, but we have had life jackets for all of them. We have a rule for everyone who goes boating with us, if you go in the eater you wear a life jacket, it just seems natural to do the same for our dogs. The Labs were probably the exception, they could swim forever without vests. My kids and grandkids wouldn't think of going into the water without a vest. Some people might think this is overkill, but we don't want to take the chance. By the way we have a pool and we don't have the same rule there. Four of our grandkids are on swim teams, but whenever they are in the water when we are boating they reach for a vest without anyone asking them to wear them.

Bree get's jacketed when we're underway and it's rough, cold or when it's a night or over night trip. Bree On Board 2017.jpg

All else she's un-jacketed.

We have a jacket for our little one. She's a swimmy bitch, and she'd think nothing of jumping out while underway. Bonus points if it will freak my wife out. She's an OK swimmer, but we were always afraid she'd get freaked out, so we put it on her. We got one at dicks sporting goods or academy or something.

Agree with the others though, the handle to lift them is worth it by itself.

Great question. Here’s my experience. I have found that life jackets help in three ways. 1) To let them swim without wearing themselves out. (They’re just like us, you know?) 2) To help you lift them back in the boat (as mentioned earlier) and 3) I tie a rope to the handle of the life jacket if we’re anchored at a place with a current. They won’t drift away and I can pull them back in. Also, in those situations, I tie their toys that they fetch to a rope as well.

As soon as my boat stops, the dogs jump in. So I either make sure they have life jackets on to begin with, or I have them tied to a rope on the boat so they don’t have to wear the life jacket on the boat. It depends on the situation.

Regarding the booties. I was concerned about my seats too and bought the booties. My dog’s nails are not trimmed to a smooth finish. Turns out though that they have never ripped any of the seat material. They jump all over it and it’s not an issue. Did not need the booties.

One more thing, if you don’t have carpet or Seadek, be careful of a hot floor.

Hope this helps some…
100% this....glad you listed it all save me typing lol. Only time i take the jackets off is when we stop and anchor up.

Back