• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Lock handle replacement

shibumi

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hi Folks - just noticed that my starboard t latch/lock handle for the clean-out access is in really bad shape and in need of replacement. I did some searching, but I couldn't find anything definitive as an absolute replacement for these (on a 2019 242 LSE - if that makes any difference). And I couldn't find a stainless one at all.

Is this thing even called a 't latch' or 'lock handle' (per the manual) or ? Maybe I'm not using the right term when searching.

I found this Whitecap handle on Amazon - definitely not a color match, but may fit ?? Does anyone happen to know the real part number, name, or best place to find a replacement? Thanks

PXL_20210905_224146615.MP.jpg

I call those hatch latches. I have actually been working on replacements for these plastic POSs for the past several months. Eventually plan on becoming a vendor on this site (if they'll allow me). My product development is just about complete. These are going to be made from 6061, polished, clear anodized, and teflon sealed. They will outlast the life of your boat and will be extremely corrosion resistant. If you are willing to wait approximately 3-4 weeks, I have over 1,000 units at the anodizer that will arrive back to my shop. They will be priced very reasonably. Here's a couple of sneak peak pics.

Hatch1.jpeg

Raw Machined Look:

Hatch3.jpeg

Polished

Hatch2.jpeg

When I'm ready to launch this product, I'll have complete units pictured. With these pics though, you can get an idea of what an upgrade these will be for your boat. Let me know if you have any questions or if you are interested. Thanks!

When I'm ready to launch this product, I'll have complete units pictured. With these pics though, you can get an idea of what an upgrade these will be for your boat. Let me know if you have any questions or if you are interested. Thanks!

Will they fit older boats as well? Those look pretty slick. Great thinking!

Will they fit older boats as well? Those look pretty slick. Great thinking!

Thank you! I can machine and fit them to any hatch hole size on your boat. When I launch these, I will post specs, pics of assembled units, etc. If anyone needs custom fitments, I can make adjustments as necessary.

Those look really nice! I'll be keeping an eye out for your launch.

@shibumi iboats has them in stock. Double check size as they come in at least two diameters.

Looks like part [HASH=3496]#F3H[/HASH]-U5540-10-00. Availability looks like you’ll have to search around.

Looks like part [HASH=3496]#F3H[/HASH]-U5540-10-00. Availability looks like you’ll have to search around.

@Iseoll Thanks! What resource did you use to find the part number?

You can go on Babbitsonline.com and search your year and model parts diagram.

I ended up ordering this Whitecap T-handle non-locking latch from Amazon and it fit right in. They only had the black ones when I ordered, but seeing as this sits under a cushion, I'm not that worried about it. Hopefully it will hold up until @Wake_Dude launches those fancy new latches!! :D

Other than the color, one (potentially ??) big difference is that the cam (bar) on this new one was angled rather than straight like the existing one. I just re-used the existing cam along w/ the new handle. I want to point that out because I've seen a lot of folks looking to replace the cam - rather than the handle - and I'm not sure if the one that came w/ this set would work or not.

PXL_20210908_210818321.jpg

PXL_20210908_210829405.jpg

PXL_20210908_210844420.jpg

They will be priced very reasonably
I’m interested if they are similar in price to the white cap . I think a better application for those would be the slam latch type . But for some bling blue anodized on the ski locker would be nice

I’m interested if they are similar in price to the white cap . I think a better application for those would be the slam latch type . But for some bling blue anodized on the ski locker would be nice

Yes, pricing won't be too far off. Blue anodizing is no problem at all. They make some really good blue dyes now that will hold up for years without fading.

Great I’m waiting get some blue ones made up that match close to the 2017 242xe

Great I’m waiting get some blue ones made up that match close to the 2017 242xe

Sounds good. Thanks! I'll get cracking on it!

Sounds good. Thanks! I'll get cracking on it!

Welp, after replacing my latch on the clean-out access, I'm now seeing that my ski locker latch looks like it's going to be going soon too! I'm hoping it will hold out until your latches are ready! :D

@Wake_Dude Did anything come of this over the off season?

Hello!

Yes. Was hoping to bring these to market months ago. Had an unfortunate incident in which the local plater who did amazing anodizing work closed his business and retired. With no other plater local to my shop, I shipped the parts out for anodizing. When they came back, the results were horrible. When I had them stripped and re-done, critical tolerances became out of spec. Had to scrap a large batch of parts. Luckily the shitty anodizer reimbursed me by at least replacing the cost of material.

Fast forward to now, I have brought anodizing in house; process bugs and learning curves have been worked out. My Brother Speedios have been hauling ass making a new batch of parts. Hoping to get these released by Early/Mid-June at the latest. Current colors will be blue, black, gray, and natural. Considering an engraving option for the handle portion as well.

Thanks for inquiring!

Knew someone who replaced theirs with slam latches. Seems much better than the stock ones Yamaha uses.

Knew someone who replaced theirs with slam latches. Seems much better than the stock ones Yamaha uses.

Pics? I'd be curious to see how these were installed. Traditionally, slam latches are very low in profile and wouldn't reach deep enough in order to clamp properly. Did this person cut into the fiberglass and install some sort of hasp?

Pics? I'd be curious to see how these were installed. Traditionally, slam latches are very low in profile and wouldn't reach deep enough in order to clamp properly. Did this person cut into the fiberglass and install some sort of hasp?
He may have pics on here somewhere. BillD was his username.

Back