• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Long Distance Trip

Joseph Baxter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
So the better half and I are taking the boat to Destin from Nashville, Tn. Thinking far ahead I am making a list of things to do (Going and returning) and I will list them below. Any tips, forewarnings or add ins would be greatly appreciated.

- CRC 6-56
- Salt Away
- Grease all trailer fittings
- Run fuel down for towing (there and back)
- Spare tire for trailer and tools
- Inspect truck tow package and trailer towing apparatus
- Tag for trailer for Florida / Alabama? (Someone may be able to add comment whether I need one for either state as Tn does not require one)
- Have transmission, brakes and oil checked prior to leaving
- Inspect all trailer lights

I know there is more to it than what I already have and I am still thinking.

Jerry Ferrera

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You will need a trailer tag, FL require them to be registered.

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
You only need a tag for the state you live in. If your state does not require a tag you will not need one in Florida.

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length

Joseph Baxter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
As I understand it we are not required in Tn but if I travel to states that do I need to get a Tn tag for the trailer. I know Mississippi requires it and now that I know Fla. does I will make sure to get one. Thanks!

Joseph Baxter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
@Zarrella that is never left out of the equation! ha ha

Kevin M

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I carry a floor jack and wood for cribbing. If I ever got a flat, I'm prepared the jack up the trailer easily. I also have wheel chocks, a rug to kneel on (it will be raining while I'm changing the tire). Extra grease caps (buddy bearing) and grease. A can of brake fluid.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Joseph Baxter

Make sure your seat cushions are secure, make sure your bimini top is strapped to your tower. Dont tow with the bow/cabin covers. They will bow, and tear. I speak from experience.

Check the weather stripping that seals you center window. Make sure it cushions the glass properly. A couple guys have shattered it because it fell off, or wasn't there. Don't transport with the window in the open position

After about 200 miles or so, check the bearings. They shouldn't be hott. When are you planning to go?

Slugger55

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Not needed, but I always carry my transportable tool box, cross wrench and my Power Center (Battery Boost and Air pump). The photo isn't the greatest. If you have a marine radio it will be handy to have. Destin is very popular boating location and it can get crazy..

Attachments

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Joseph Baxter not sure when you're coming down or how long you'll be here, but the weather here and water have been awesome. We had some nasty storms 1-2 weeks ago, but all good since then.

As far as your trailer tag, the State of Florida requires all trailers traveling on state roadways to be registered and have a tag. Florida does not recognize other state's laws regarding this and a good chance you'll get stopped for not displaying a tag. Now, having said that, if you get stopped, a LEO would have discretion in whether to issue a citation or not if your state does not require it. More than likely, you would not get a ticket. You have a lot of Interstate to travel before you get here too. Might just be easier to get a tag in TN and avoid the hassle.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Man O man, Im hearing about Destin Fl over and over this week. Come to find out my next door neighbors leaving for a week of camping in his RV on the beach in Destin. I need to head there next summer.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Heading to Deer Point Lake tomorrow for some fresh water boating...
Right before I left I met a guy in Firehouse subs ( had a flight suit on), he saw I had my boat behind my truck and asked about it. He has a Yamaha 212x, and lives on Deerpoint said his boat stays on a lift dock behind his house. He said he wake boards in a certain area every weekend.

He mentioned the forum and told me his name was Rum on here, but I didn't see a Rum in the member list, he may hVe been talking about the Yamaha jet boaters forum. Said he is always looking for people to meet and wakeboard with.

Slugger55

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
@Wayloncle I'll ask if anyone knows him. Also, I checked on your boat yesterday, no issues. The automatic fence was broken again.....

Robert Sands

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I've never greased my trailer, I see you guys mention that. Are you just refering to the wheel bearings? Also, how do you go about doing that, do you have a favourite brand of grease? I've only used my trailer twice for a few hours each time, hopefully not enough to hurt anything. I'm planning a big trip at the end of the month, probably 8 or 9 hours total driving. I've got most of the items I need, but I've been neglecting the grease. I'm guessing I need a grease gun and some marine rated grease? Thanks.

Slugger55

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
@Robert Sands Yes, they are referring to the wheel bearings. Look at the center of the wheel hub and you should see a rubber cover. Gently pull that cover off (without tearing it) and you will see a grease fitting. Pump grease into that fitting until you see grease being forced out of the bearing. Even though you have only used the trailer twice for trips, I will assume that you store your boat on the trailer and launch it with the trailer. Checking the grease gives you added protection from water penetration into the bearing. I am close to West Marine and I shop there a lot. Here is their brand, http://www.westmarine.com/buy/corrosion-block--corrosion-block-high-performance-grease--2596658.

Joseph Baxter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
@ScarabMike.....I hate to ask but any chance you can make a short video on all that you spray down with CRC. Not that I lack intelligence but when people ask me "Do you want me to draw you a picture?" my response is a resounding yes.....ha ha.

treeskier

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If you don't already have it a boat US membership with the trailer tow insurance is a good idea. From another thread on here I heard that AAA will not provide roadside assistance if you have an issue with your trailer. I called them and verified that is 100% correct they will tell you to leave it. And you are on your own. The boat US membership was around $50/year and an extra $14/ year for the trailer tow insurance. I purchased it from West Marine.