• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Long Term Storage

rollosan

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I may end up moving overseas for 3-5 years and figured I would ask you folks for some tips on storing my 2010 AR210.

It will be stored at one of my local marinas in an environmentally controlled facility with the cover on.

Should I drain the fuel or keep the tank full?

Should I have someone add fuel stabilizer once a year?

What about the oil? Will it break down while sitting for that amount of time?

Will perfect pass be ok sitting that long without power?

Will oil seals on the engines be ok sitting that long without running the engine?

Should I fog it or will that just cause additional problems sitting that long?

Tips along those lines would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Wow....I can't imagine a good outcome from a boat sitting that long without fluid lubrication. If you are not in a position for someone to maintain and run it every few months, perhaps you should consider selling. I'm sure the storage cost for that long a period could go to a replacement upon your return. not trying to tell you what to do ....just my opinion. Good luck!

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree sending it to hibernation for 3-5 years is not optimal and selling would be an option at $5-8k in storage fees.

I'm a novice at best but If that's your only choice I would definitely
drain the fuel
change the oil
fog the heck out of the cylinders including pulling the plugs and spaying some in after you've done the normal fogging routine,
and do something with the battery,

If you had any chance of coming home once a year and being able to run it for an hour or two (even in the winter) I would think that would be best and leave the tank full with stabilizer and fog it.

No chance of having a family member or someone you trust run it for you for a time or two during the summer, maybe even a trusted JBN member?

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I wouldn't let an item that I have set for that long as well. I would also be in the sell it camp and just buy another used one when you come back home.

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I wouldn't let an item that I have set for that long as well. I would also be in the sell it camp and just buy another used one when you come back home.
We sold our dream boat (Leopard 39) last year because we knew we would not use it much for the next few years w/ the kids in HS.

What got me over 'the hump' was when a buddy simply said, "There are always going to be people selling boats.", (frankly, many desperately trying to get out from under their boat.)

Sold it. No regrets.

Will get a better one 5 years from now.
(Leopard 45 came out this year!! :)
Will have avoided a lot of maintenance cost.
Will have saved myself a lot of stress of keeping her in working order.
AND we are back in the Yamaha family!!

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I agree on selling or find someone to maintain.
Have a good friend that would enjoy it?

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If it were a 6 month or maybe even a year I could see storing it.. but 3 to 5 !!yikes.. just sell it.. buy a newer one when u get back...

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I agree with previous posters. It may be better in the long run to sell it now, stash the proceeds and 3-5k in storage costs into a safe investment, then buy a newer one on the back-side (if your priorities haven't changed by then). Additionally, after that long, it's hard to t ell where the technology will be in boats, and you'll be in a position to capitalize on that improved technology.

arew~SX230

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Also on sell side, put any equity into something that can appreciate instead of depreciate. Add in the cost off storing for the three years up front and you'll have a nice down payment bv the time you return stateside.

Dough

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Sell it. Come back to a newer, faster boat!

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
While the "sell it" camp has a good point, it's entirely possible that - like me - you're in love with your boat and someone else can have it when they pry it from your cold, dead hands.

If you're like me, then I agree with @Scottintexas about draining the fuel and plenty of fogging oil. I'd also coat the exterior of the engines with a lubricant.

I'm not 100% sure I'm on board with the "start it and run it for a while once a year" idea. When I mess with engines in "deep" storage I prefer to pull the plugs, squirt some oil in, and manually turn the engine over. This is one of those things that can be argued back and forth for all manner of reason. Either way is less than ideal. Complex machinery works best when it is exercised.

I think post-storage I'd change the oil, then fire it up for 10 minutes and change it again to try to dilute the old stuff as much as possible.

It IS possible to store your baby for the long term. Just keep in mind that anything with grease or oil in it may need to be serviced, and things made of rubber may dry out. You'll need to give it some special attention before she's 100% ready to go back on the water.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am in the sell it camp but as @biglar155 was saying these boats do store well if u take the proper steps... my boat was winterized late 2009 and sat on an indoor storage rack from the fall so 2009 untill I bought it in spring 2015... I have had no issues at all and I know the previous owner did not intend for or set it up to be kept in storage that long. So your boat would be ok if u take all the additional steps. We love our boat but as a 2008 if we were going to be gone for 3 to 5 year I would just let it go.

Darrell

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I can't completely speak for the boat, but I think the advice above is pretty good..Sell it... what I can speak to is the overseas and storage. I'm 2+ years in Germany now, and left a Tahoe back in the states that I never got around to selling. A bit lazy with other priorities when we were leaving, so opted for storage. This will hang over you when you consider lengthening your stay... ie do I stay for 3 or 5 years. It's not a small amount of money to be invested, along with storage fees, odd maintenance, etc. You'll be looking at something that is now undervalued for the use that you had with it. I was lucky to find temp controlled storage for about 600/ year, and was able to pull it out when I was back stateside for extended periods of time, so it was actually cheaper then renting a car. If that had not been possible it wouldn't have made sense. Even with that I still have some maintenance issues each time I use it... which is 1-2 times a year. I also had a boat before I left, and sold it for less then I would have liked, but not having to worry about it, and to also have the option of an upgrade when I'm back in about 1 year is something to look forward to. It basically sits in the back of your mind as this big chunk of non liquid assets, and makes you pause when considering what you want to do. As well as having other costs that could be better spent elsewhere.

Either way good luck, and enjoy the trip if it happens!

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@rollosan. I have a 2001 BMW Z3 that I bought new. It only has 17,000 miles on it which was mostly driven the first 6 years. The last 5 years it only gets 20 - 30 miles a year due to my boating habit. Because of the lack of use the oil pan gasket seeps a little. I checked with my BMW mechanic. He said this is typical of "garaged" sports cars. If I were to leave it undriven I would need to replace engine seals. The oil provides seal wetting to keep them pliable and able to seal.

The other issue is loss of equity. You will lose $X for every year it sits even if there is no deterioration. Like a girlfriend, it may hurt a little to lose the one you have but when a newer, prettier one comes along you quickly forget the old one.