• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

look

Bilmon

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
Look what Santa Claus [UPS] just delivered, My old Sugar Sand will live on20180131_092931.jpg

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did the old one give you problems?

Is that an entire new engine or just the head or remanufactured?

Keep us updated!

Bilmon

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
Did the old one give you problems?

Is that an entire new engine or just the head or remanufactured?

Keep us updated!
Head gasket was leaking water into cylinder, piston seized and rod busted about 5500 rpm Looked like a grenade went off, blew out the side of block, knocked a couple holes in crankcase, destroyed a head and scored the crank. I found the wrist pin in the exhaust chamber and pieces of piston in a muffler not to mention all the shrapnel in the engine bay. This is a new long block, pricey at 4667.00 with shipping and core charge but the old Mirage is in to good of shape otherwise to not repair, besides it's my all time favorite boat and at 71 I've had a few

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Are you gonna do the work with some help?

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This is awesome. Be sure to take plenty of pictures along the way.

Interesting for us, and even more interesting for the Sugar Sand owners that will come along behind you.

Bilmon

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
This is awesome. Be sure to take plenty of pictures along the way.

Interesting for us, and even more interesting for the Sugar Sand owners that will come along behind you.
I'll try to do that. I also have the engine out of my son's Tango sitting there awaiting installation, we pulled that to save him 600 bucks when it had to come out for some glasswork on the hull

jeff B

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hi...sorry to seek your advice, but here goes.
I have just purchased a Sugar Sand with 170hp Mercury engine. It presents very well for its age. Have spent the last few nights cleaning and polishing and generally learning about what makes the boat tick. In the centre of the boat between the two front seats is a long hatch - in washing the boat down, water has pooled in this well.
I have poked a small metal rod down through the drain - it goes in about 12”...even prodding around in this drain hole, the water will not discharge.
Any ideas why this drain hole is not draining? It seems quite clean.
Any advice would be appreciated.....cheers from Jeff B

jeff B

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yes..certainly have checked that out. The water is not passing from the underfloor well into what I imagine is the fuel tank compartment. Each visible compartment has limber holes running into the main bilge...all seem fine. Except this one...

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am not famiar with your year boat.. mine is a 2008 but i had a ton of water trapped on my fuel tank compartment once.. i didnt know there was a drain plug between the engine compartment and the fuel compartment. Mine was on the wall near the floor in the engine compartment on the wall towards the fuel area. Once opened all the water drained through the engine bay and out the main drain plug in the back of the boat. Maybe yours has a similar plug.

Bilmon

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
Hi...sorry to seek your advice, but here goes.
I have just purchased a Sugar Sand with 170hp Mercury engine. It presents very well for its age. Have spent the last few nights cleaning and polishing and generally learning about what makes the boat tick. In the centre of the boat between the two front seats is a long hatch - in washing the boat down, water has pooled in this well.
I have poked a small metal rod down through the drain - it goes in about 12”...even prodding around in this drain hole, the water will not discharge.
Any ideas why this drain hole is not draining? It seems quite clean.
Any advice would be appreciated.....cheers from Jeff B
No problem and welcome aboard. Sounds like you likely have a Tango, sure that isn't a 175 hp? Never heard of a 170, at least in the US. Should be a 2.5 v6 mercury, really just an outboard mounted to a jet. Good motor in spite of my recent troubles. As to the water not draining, I'm not sure, they do sit on the trailer a little low in the bow. Will it drain with the front raised? If it is indeed a Tango I can check with my son he has an 07 If you are on Facebook there is a owners group called Sugar Sand Boats, several Tangos on there as well as the other models. Sorry I can' be of more help then this

Bill

Bilmon

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
As long as this has been revived I may as well bore you all with some sportjet pics.20180201_110503.jpg 20180201_110515.jpg this is the reason for the new long block20180201_110255.jpg New long block20180201_110945.jpg lots of wire20180202_154847.jpg starting to look like a motor again20180204_115136.jpg guts of Mercury fuel injection less the injectors, they were out for testing20180204_133453.jpg 20180205_140041.jpg 20180212_154359.jpg injectors and fuel rail20180212_160030.jpg injectors on rail20180212_160938.jpg rail on block20180212_163336.jpg this is the external electric oil pump for oil injection20180212_163411.jpg VST where oil and gas mix, also houses high pressure fuel pump, other 2 also shown20180213_104538.jpg and I have a motor again

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Please continue with the pictures. That has to be a great boat and I can't wait to watch the progress. At $4500 your committed but that makes a lot of sense to me given how awesome the Sands is