• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Looking at an 07 SX230 with 67 Hours, would love some input

UZJ40

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've had my eye on Yamaha boats for a while, and read through all of the FAQ's and many other threads on this helpful website.

I'm looking at a 2 owner 07 SX230. We took it to the dealer yesterday and they verified 67 hours. It comes with a galvanized trailer. It needs all new upholstery. Apparently, the cover blew off at some point at the storage unit and nobody told the owner, so the tops of the seats got baked.

My biggest concerns are the ECUs, and the possible wood rot by the table mounts. I will see if the fiberglass feels soft tomorrow when I go see the boat again, but I believe the ECU's are just a ticking time bomb in these.

Overall, the rest of the boat is in great condition though.

The seller is firm at $16k, and I've had 2 quotes for $3k for new interior. I would also need a new OEM cover ($750), so with a few other things I'm sitting right at $20k for an 11 year old boat with brand new interior and 67 hours on the engines.

Any input?

Thank you!!

UZJ40

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The boat seems very clean (other than vinyl damage), the engines appear to be the HO-MR1s, right? which is great, and the damage is from sun exposure, no water ingress, correct? Galvanized trailer always a plus.
Why do you think the ECUs are a ticking bomb? Unless there has been water intrusion inside the engine bay or through the gap in the hatch it seems rather rare to have those fail. @Scottintexas compiled a nice list of items to watch in the 230s, some would apply - like the plastic scupper probably needs to be replaced ASAP at this age.

Also - the cables may need so attention, etc. But if the boat runs well at 16k it would be very good price.
Just my 0.02!

EDIT: And of course - welcome to the forum!

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Also - without a tower you could use one of many available generic covers, can be way less expensive, and might find a set of anti-pooling poles here for free, or w/pay shipping.

--

UZJ40

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thank you for the information @swatski

Yes, they are the HO engines.

I thought I had read the ECUs can go bad on their own, causing the injector to stick open, regardless if they had water ingress or not. I also wasn't sure if that issue was fixed in 07+ boats.

The reason I wanted the OEM cover is that is seemed easier to put on for mooring the boat. The universal covers seem to have the vertical straps that won't work if it's in the water. I definitely agree about the plastic scupper though!

Thanks again!

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you for the information @swatski

Yes, they are the HO engines.

I thought I had read the ECUs can go bad on their own, causing the injector to stick open, regardless if they had water ingress or not. I also wasn't sure if that issue was fixed in 07+ boats.

The reason I wanted the OEM cover is that is seemed easier to put on for mooring the boat. The universal covers seem to have the vertical straps that won't work if it's in the water. I definitely agree about the plastic scupper though!

Thanks again!
This should be good helpful info @Scottintexas just posted, on point:
https://jetboaters.net/threads/ecu-going-bad-need-advice.20579/#post-351123

--

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
A few things...

First put your location in your name description. There may be a local member close to u that may come out and walk u through a few things.

Second.. unfortunately i become quiet educated in ecu failure in the 07 to 09 model boat. These ecu dont see m to fail much unless like @swatski mentioned there is water intrusion. The 05 model boats i think had much more of an issue. I had both of my ecus fail with on a few short hours of each other. But mine was cause by an odd set of circumstances nothing more. It is well documented in the forum somewhere.. as a matter of fact i have the 2nd failed ecu sitting on my work bench. I need to send it off to have it fixed before spring.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I bought a similar boat last year. 16k for a boat like that is a steal. You will not get better boat at that price. ALL the yamahas of this age will either need reupholstered, or already have been redone.

My advice is to buy it asap. If you dont, someone else will. That boat will be 20k in a few months when it warms up, just as it sits.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am late to this thread but from 2007 on all SX230 engines were HO. The ECU issue and I believe the rotten wood issue were primarily with the 230s before 2007 which were a different design.

Personally I think the price and timing both are good. You have the opportunity to buy this boat at a price where you can replace the interior, buff the hull, add SeaDek, likely lubricate or replace some parts that have aged and upgrade the stereo all for less than what she would sell for in good condition in the summer then you will have a like new boat.

For perspective my family has a 2007 SX 230 that we purchased for $24K in 2013. We have likely invested $10K in upgrades and taken her to the Bahamas five times. We love her, our friends love her and she is a reliable boat with a solid hull that has never let us down.

E188B0F7-1263-43A3-8B8F-7C7BA207B368.jpeg 74D12DB2-9F40-49ED-B270-34D73B90033B.jpeg E3A0B9A8-0778-4E6A-A99A-754460C600E1.jpeg 880923DC-8714-4860-8A95-CCF092B1DBD8.jpeg

Last edited:

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a similar boat from 2008. Similar condition when purchased, slightly better interior (not by much) and about 100 hrs. That was 2 years ago.

It has been very solid. Great purchase.

Are you handy? There is one mechanical thing to check that goes bad with time and rust, and that's the control cables. When you switch from neutral to forward and reverse, check that the movement is smooth. If not, cables needs to be replaced. Not expensive and well worth it.

Other things come to mind, all on the list mentioned above I'm sure.

It's a great boat. If you like it and it runs great, go for it. Mine is red and I had the interior redone with a red accent. Came out great.

Best of luck!

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wouldn't buy any mr1 boat without running compression. You can't buy replacement engines from Yamaha.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wouldn't buy any mr1 boat without running compression. You can't buy replacement engines from Yamaha.
I would agree, however compression testing can be severely flawed as was the case here with one buyer who posted a couple months ago - had a mechanic check the boat report low or zero compression on one or two cylinders that turned out to be not true, and the boat is completely fine and runs great.
WOuld you say a water test showing circa 10,000 RPM at WOT and top speed over 40mph be sufficient in lieu of testing engine health? Incidentally, that also is a way to test the pumps etc.

--

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I agree on the water test but would change the criteria to RPM over 10,000 (10,200 is peak) and speed over 45 mph verified by GPS.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It's about the cost... The oem cover is pretty expensive compared... If you want to use the nicest available, OEM is nice, but if cash is tight, is tough to argue with an alternative that costs 20% and does the job with 90% efficiency.

(If there is a cheap source of the oem cover, let me know. My current cover, not oem, is shredding badly)

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would agree, however compression testing can be severely flawed as was the case here with one buyer who posted a couple months ago - had a mechanic check the boat report low or zero compression on one or two cylinders that turned out to be not true, and the boat is completely fine and runs great.
WOuld you say a water test showing circa 10,000 RPM at WOT and top speed over 40mph be sufficient in lieu of testing engine health? Incidentally, that also is a way to test the pumps etc.

--
I wouldn't because mine passed that test, then failed to start because of low compression. I'm not sure there is enough load on one engine to verify the true engine health. A worn impeller or pump would make that test easier to pass. Compression testing takes 20 minutes tops and you get to see the condition of the plugs.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It would be best to preform both tests.

If you can only do one, water test is most revealing, but there is a risk of missing an issue.

It's still an old boat, no guarantee an issue would not pop up later, but the compression test is important and cheap. Do it.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We bought our 07 AR230 in May 2016. Paid $23k with galv. trailer. Had new Sunbrella covers/bimini made, modded the boat with everything in my signature below. She has been a great low maintenance, reliable and trouble free boat for us. I also removed the graphics, it made it easier to remove the oxidation and restore the mirror finish.

As far as testing...water testing is great, you get to see how the boat performs. Proper compression tests are advised for about any used engine purchase, especially boats. I broke both of these testing rules at purchase and only ran the motors on the hose, where I learned the procedure. I consider myself lucky. They run at 10,200 rpm and 48.8 mph on GPS. <100hrs at purchase. Love my Yamaha 3 seasons later.

Last edited: